900 people died in the last 30 days from guns says Obama - Page 4

900 people died in the last 30 days from guns says Obama

This is a discussion on 900 people died in the last 30 days from guns says Obama within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So what was the point of your post? To randomly inform us all on the definition of a "concern troll" while drawing similarities with the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: 900 people died in the last 30 days from guns says Obama

So what was the point of your post? To randomly inform us all on the definition of a "concern troll" while drawing similarities with the OP?
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    So what was the point of your post? To randomly inform us all on the definition of a "concern troll" while drawing similarities with the OP?
    Yeah, basically. You can only really describe the phenomenon when a post is 'close enough' for other people to understand, but the post cannot be an actual concern troll, or else pointing it out is rude. It's a bit of a logical fallacy, too, which is something we seek to avoid if we're trying to move a conversation forwards. This way, people have an easier time noticing and IDing those types of posts.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Huh? No, I've not criticised the OP. The OP is not 'concern trolling' for this type of forum. It would be concern trolling if it was posting in an anti-gun forum, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    The OP is engaging in what's called concern trolling, or at least it's close enough that I can go on to describe the phenomenon without insulting anyone here.
    Ah, yes you did.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    King Obama today said in his little speech that 900 people have died at the muzzle of a gun since the Sandy Hook incident (some 30 days) and cited it as a reason for more laws. Well, I did some research I thought I'd share with all of you to cite to your anti-gun friends (or foes).

According to 2011 statistics in the last 30 days:

1,441,666 people died from cardio vascular diseases of some form

383,333 people died from diabetes

133,055 people died from cancer

3,123 people died from drug overdoses

2,692 people died from traffic accidents

852 people died in drunk driving incidents

So really, the liberals could care LESS about the U.S. public. If they did they would be banning hearts, sugar, cancer, drugs (oh wait, they ARE banned), cars and alcohol. Pfft, 900 gun deaths make up less than .001% of the total deaths from just these 6 categories. And they wonder why we question "gun legislation" and their claim they are saving innocent lives.
    Good stats, and there's only one logical conclusion that can be drawn from them: we must ban the AR-15.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    His definition doesn't jibe with any I've found. Urban Dictionary: concern troll
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    His definition doesn't jibe with any I've found. Urban Dictionary: concern troll
    Just read a few of those from your link. I would have to agree.

Which just makes me think Canuck is trolling himself under the guise of the "Professor of Trolling."
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

My guess on the 900...

449 were suicide, 449 were gang on gang...

MAYBE 2 of those were of some relevance to the laws he was proposing...

I too would love to see the actual stats on the number he espoused.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

...now, more than anytime in our history, "United we stand-Divided we fall" applies...

...the OP was pointing out the enemy's use of dubious statistics to make his "case"...point well taken...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Not to be a stick in the mud, you cite 2011 data to show deaths in the last 30 days......
    Because 2012 and 2013 statistics are not readily available yet. So maybe these categories have declined by a few points. I took the total number and divided by 12 to get the totals. It is a reasonable AVERAGE and probably 10 times more accurate than the 900 stat dear leader threw out. Some people.

As for a concern troll? Whatever. As I stated in my OP the info was drummed up to have something to say to those who might say to you "well 900 people died in the last 30 days at the end of a gun, that's why we should ban assault rifles". Now you are armed with relevant information to show them the ignorance of the comment. Washington is spending so much time and energy on "gun control" because it drums up votes and lets them get on TV to push their agenda. When REAL problems exist. How many CHILDREN could be saved if Obama gave a check to St. Jude's in the amount he plans to spend passing all these EO's? How much does the CDC get to study ways to reduce gun violence? Give that money to cure cancer or help under insured children get treatment. THAT makes an immediate impact on saving childrens lives RIGHT NOW!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

First of all, I suspect that 900 number is bogus.

Second, I'd like to know how many were in places like Chicago and Washington, DC, where they already have very restrictive gun laws.

Third is the fact that I read just recently that something like 65% of gunshot deaths are suicides. No amount of restriction will stop that. Take away the guns and they'll use a knife or some other means.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

Quote Originally Posted by XD40inTX View Post
    First of all, I suspect that 900 number is bogus.
    Third is the fact that I read just recently that something like 65% of gunshot deaths are suicides. No amount of restriction will stop that. Take away the guns and they'll use a knife or some other means.
    I agree on this one. Would the Administration be happier if people hanged themselves with a robe instead? What exactly is the preferred government method of suicide?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    What exactly is the preferred government method of suicide?
    I'd be willing to bet it is shooting yourself, preferably with an assault rifle so it can suit their agenda.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links