Another Look Into The Opposing Camp

This is a discussion on Another Look Into The Opposing Camp within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; MoveOn still considers me one of their seven million members, it seems. Here is another solicitation received from them today: "Dear MoveOn member, This is ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Another Look Into The Opposing Camp

VIP Member

MoveOn still considers me one of their seven million members, it seems. Here is another solicitation received from them today:
    "Dear MoveOn member,

This is it.

Today, President Obama proposed "the most aggressive and expansive national gun-control agenda in generations."1

Mandatory background checks for all gun buyers. A ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips. More money for mental health. Stronger enforcement of the laws currently on the books.

It took a horrifying, unthinkable tragedy to put guns back on the agenda. But we finally have a real chance to put some sanity into America's gun laws.

This won't be easy. The NRA, backed by major funding from the gun industry, is already pouring money into a gutless TV ad campaign smearing President Obama as an "elitist hypocrite."2

But after President Obama's announcement today, there's no going back. We have to go big. We're aiming to raise $200,000 today to beef up our grassroots campaign to pressure members of Congress and politicians at every level of government to get them on board with the president's plan. Can you chip in $5?

Yes, I can contribute $5 to help end gun violence.

Our plan has three parts, all designed to overpower NRA money and lobbying to get gun violence prevention measures enacted:

1. An on-the-ground grassroots organizing onslaught to counter the NRA's network. Tomorrow, in more than 200 communities and every major city, Community Committees Against Gun Violence are meeting to create action plans for winning gun violence prevention legislation—and beating the NRA—in city halls, state capitols, and D.C.

Here's an example of the kind of actions we'll be planning: MoveOn members organized a gun show protest this past weekend in Saratoga Springs, New York. They held a vigil in remembrance of Sandy Hook, followed by speeches from an elementary school student, a veteran, and local elected officials calling for action to reduce gun violence.3 We need to pay for organizers and local ads to make sure communities know what's happening and how they can participate in powerful actions like this.

2. A communications strategy to elevate voices and campaigns of gun violence prevention activists. We'll promote more activists like MoveOn member Maria Roach, whose petition against the gun lobbyists' "Gun Appreciation Day" has garnered national attention and led to an embarrassing and offensive statement from the chief organizers of the event.4

More people stepped up to take action on gun violence after Sandy Hook than in any other single moment in MoveOn's history. We'll help them tell their stories in local and national media, and make it easy for you to share the stories online.

3. An over-the-air multimedia campaign to bust the NRA's myths. The NRA's leaders and lobbyists have been misleading the public and members of Congress for a generation. It's time to tell the truth, and we're ready to do it. We'll make and distribute videos and materials that reveal just how loophole-ridden our gun laws are and how we have to fix them to save lives.

We can win real gun violence prevention laws. Now is the time to go all in and make our generation the one that put an end to rampant gun violence.

Click here to contribute $5 to help end gun violence.

Thanks for all you do.

–Garlin, Steven, Anna, Manny, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Obama to announce most expansive gun-control agenda in generations," The Washington Post, January 15, 2013
    Obama to announce most expansive gun-control agenda in generations - The Washington Post

2. "NRA's new ad calls Obama 'elitist hypocrite,'" The Washington Post, January 15, 2013
    NRA?s new ad calls Obama ?elitist hypocrite?

3. "Saratoga Gun Fair is Underway—Protests Peaceful: Audio, Video inside," Saratoga Wire, January 12, 2013
    Saratoga Wire - Saratoga Gun Fair is Underway - Protests Peaceful: Audio, Video inside

4. "Larry Ward, Gun Appreciation Day Founder, Says Armed African Americans Could've Prevented Slavery (VIDEO)," The Huffington Post, January 11, 2013
    Larry Ward, Gun Appreciation Day Founder, Says Armed African Americans Could've Prevented Slavery (VIDEO)

Want to support our work? MoveOn Civic Action is entirely funded by our 7 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here."
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Loop hole...if I loan money I don't need to do a credit check on my friend. If I sell him a knife I don't need to do a background check, if I sell him a computer I don't need to do a background check to make sure he's not convicted of any cyber crimes...

Why do I need to assume my friend is a criminal?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Send them a $100 donation . . . in Monopoly money of course. What the heck, make it $500 and a hotel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow...

Glad you're our spy.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Re: Another Look Into The Opposing Camp

Pay attention folks... These tactics got O elected... They will pass the onerous laws they want.

It is going to cost the NRA and us $$$ to fight this
    SigPapa226 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Haha yes... Mike is a double agent :]
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

I'm sorry, maybe I missed it. But in which executive order were the magazine restrictions addressed?

Re: Another Look Into The Opposing Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    I'm sorry, maybe I missed it. But in which executive order were the magazine restrictions addressed?
    They weren't, you know it... But if you think congress won't pass this without hard, individual effort, you can go ahead and turn your affected devices now.

Do not count on smoke filled back rooms saving you, or your firearms.

Do your part... Enlist NOW. FIGHT NOW.
    BugDude likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    They weren't, you know it... But if you think congress won't pass this without hard, individual effort, you can go ahead and turn your affected devices now.

Do not count on smoke filled back rooms saving you, or your firearms.

Do your part... Enlist NOW. FIGHT NOW.
    Today was the sitzkrieg.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

We should all write MoveOn a return letter and vow to give the NRA $20 for each of their $5.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by From the pleas
    We're aiming to raise $200,000 today to beef up our grassroots campaign to pressure members of Congress and politicians at every level of government ...
    Hm. Financial inducements? I'd prefer to pick and choose my own to bribe.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Since when is MoveOn "grassroots"?

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Since when is MoveOn "grassroots"?
    Funded by Soros grassroots.

Haven't you heard of him?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Send them a $100 donation . . . in Monopoly money of course. What the heck, make it $500 and a hotel.
    And put it in an envelop with their address as the return adress, with no stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Funded by Soros grassroots. Haven't you heard of him?
    Of course I have, I was objecting to their self-characterization.

Links