Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

This is a discussion on Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If the data bases are so loaded with info and easy to access why cant my doctors and cardiologist stay straight on what THEY have ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

If the data bases are so loaded with info and easy to access why cant my doctors and cardiologist stay straight on what THEY have prescribed for me??? I have had to correct each at I dont know how many appointments as they go over their secret squirell data base telling me I see we have you taking this this and this. No doc you took me off those three months ago and put me on this and this. Then doc changes it on the comptuter in front me and within a couple of visits if they change dosage or meds it will be wrong again. I darn near died from a stopped heart caused by this crap.
    Given that I doubt they could find my address much less anything else.
    RemMod597 and Hopyard like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    If the data bases are so loaded with info and easy to access why cant my doctors and cardiologist stay straight on what THEY have prescribed for me??? I have had to correct each at I dont know how many appointments as they go over their secret squirell data base telling me I see we have you taking this this and this. No doc you took me off those three months ago and put me on this and this. Then doc changes it on the comptuter in front me and within a couple of visits if they change dosage or meds it will be wrong again. I darn near died from a stopped heart caused by this crap.
    What's good for the state will take a much higher priority than what's good for you.
    Snub44 and OD* like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    We are just ending stage 1, and medication reconciliation is in its infancy. This year is stage 2 of meaningful use and the percentages of required eletronic use (physician orders, etc.) go up as do the financial incentives to meet them. This will only get more invasive. You haven't seen anything yet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Here's something even worse. They can run a query search on everyone who has been prescribed X and then decide that's exclusionary. Ever had a prescription for any type of anxiety medication? They can decide that is exclusionary as depression or mental issues. Once the line is in the sand, they can move it wherever they want when they have the data at their fingertips.
    ^^^^
    This is one big part of it that concerns me. For example I have a prescription for Zyban to quit smoking, that's the exact same drug as Wellbutrin, an antidepressant. Carries the black box suicide warning on it. Or...my son takes anti epileptic medication. Also a black box suicide warning - would having a firearm in the home on medical forms be a problem with him in the home because of his seizure medication, even though he has no "mental illness" Could I get flagged as depressed because of the "anti depressant" I may one of these days get around to taking that was prescribed not for depression but smoking? It gives me the willies...
    BugDude, msgt/ret and niks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    How much do you know about "Meaningful Use" and the electronic medical record? And the BILLIONS of dollars the Federal Govt is spending over a period of years to get all hospitals and physicians linked up so that they can delve into ALL of your personal medical history? It has been going on for a couple years, and unless you are in healthcare you now nothing about it. Soon, all they have to do is run a query search of the population database and pull up everyone with X datafield. The govt will be data mining the population based on answers to standard healthcare questions. This is why everyone was so insistant upon making it ILLEGAL for them to ask. Once it's a required field, they have to put an answer and then the govt can query any data field they want. A list of all diabetics? No problem. A list of all with cardiovascular disease? No problem. A list of all with guns? No problem. See why this is a problem?????
    As I have said before; LIE, LIE, LIE anything other than a straight NO will likely go in the record as a YES.

I may have screwed myself on this on..... I always OC when I go to the doc, at the weigh in the nurse tells me to "Put all the hardware on the shelf".

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    ^^^^
    This is one big part of it that concerns me. For example I have a prescription for Zyban to quit smoking, that's the exact same drug as Wellbutrin, an antidepressant. Carries the black box suicide warning on it. Or...my son takes anti epileptic medication. Also a black box suicide warning - would having a firearm in the home on medical forms be a problem with him in the home because of his seizure medication, even though he has no "mental illness" Could I get flagged as depressed because of the "anti depressant" I may one of these days get around to taking that was prescribed not for depression but smoking? It gives me the willies...
    Yep!!! Let's say you had a death in the family and needed some temporary help getting through that. The anxiety made it where you couldn't sleep. You got medical help for a medical problem, but someone somewhere can now define that as a mental problem, mood disorder, depression, anxiety, etc. You're on the list, and no way to ever get off. Once people figure this out, they will no longer go to medical professionals for help with these types of normal medical issues that happen on rare occasions throughout the course of life. So, in effect, what we have is a process where LESS people are getting appropriate treatment which leads to MORE social issues.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Moderator
    My Doctor...while looking at his clipboard...

(Doc)Hey Bob, you got any guns?

(Me)Well Doc, you know I do, remember when went turkey hunting together and I shot that 11.5" bearded Tom?

(Doc) Oh yeah, that was a good hunt. Good shot too.

(Me) Do you remember the time you called me up to meet you are the range so that you could try out my AR with the suppressor on it?

(Doc), Yeah, I remember that. It ended up costing me over 1000 bucks for that silencer. Speaking of which, is my paperwork about to come back?

(Me) Nah...you've probably got at least another two months left.

(Doc) MAN, I wish the ATF would get on it.

(Me) So Doc, why do you suppose that question about guns is being asked? Who wants to know?

(Doc) Good question. I don't suppose its any of their business what we own is it?

(Me) Thats right. And BTW, the answer is NO I don't have any guns.

(Doc) While checking the box that says "no guns ownership noted". OK....I checked "no guns". We are done here. BTW...when the ducks get started flying, give me a call.
    BugDude, msgt/ret, OD* and 1 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Re: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

I was asked this at my physical two months ago as part of the screening part with the nurse before you see the doctor. They had recently gone paperless, and the assistant was inputting all the information in the computer. I asked what that was all about. She stated that the government is requiring doctor's offices to go paperless in order to meet new requirements to receive federal funds. If they don't convert, they get charged a percentage that increases each year until they do. I answered the question no. The screens were filled with a ton of checkboxes for answers to stuff besides the typical "which of the following conditions have you had" type boxes. Very disconcerting.

Stay in the gym and eat right folks.
    BugDude and Clodbert like this.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Fla
    As a Vet, I use the VA. For years at the precheck up ( blood pressure, weight, heart rate, etc ) before seeing the Doc, they have included the questions of, do you feel depressed, thought about suicide? It is a VA thing because of so many issues with vets and suicide. Adding a gun question won't bother me as I am not under oath. Just say, not anymore. If they should ask if I sold em, I will explain about them falling overboard on the boat.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    If he's checking your prostate and you see both hands, you got a problem.

But "he" is a she. Now I really wondering.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with your doctor perform background checks, ask how you store your firearms, or do you have a mentally ill family member, etc.?
    Here's an idea that has already worked for the last few years now, answer, "That is none of your business!".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Does it bother anyone else that they are asking doctors to monitor and then inform on the general public, but lawyers with criminal clients who divulge any gun related criminal behavior are exempt by priviledge?
    OD* and Bark'n like this.

OD*
    Last edited by OD*; January 18th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

What if you tell your doctor that you're depressed or that you're feeling a little down and they prescribe some medication for that issue. Will the government be able to search your prescriptions and decide you're unstable and come for your guns? Your doctor may not even know they are being used ---- scary stuff.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Not a problem, I think I should be allowed to do heart transplants in my storage building.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links