Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks - Page 4

Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

This is a discussion on Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Metalman What if you tell your doctor that you're depressed or that you're feeling a little down and they prescribe some medication ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    What if you tell your doctor that you're depressed or that you're feeling a little down and they prescribe some medication for that issue. Will the government be able to search your prescriptions and decide you're unstable and come for your guns? Your doctor may not even know they are being used ---- scary stuff.
    That's my concern for how this could develop. I can see the list of questions now:

1). Have you ever been depressed or sad?
    2). Have you ever been stressed?
    3). Has your diabetes ever caused your blood sugar to drop to the point you have been confused?
    4). Has your blood pressure medication ever made you feel funny?
    5). Have you ever had trouble sleeping?

See where this could lead?
    niks, Bark'n and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Even the liberal news medias are saying this will only lead to patientd lying to their doctors.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Have been running into this question on the form at the children’s doctors’ office for about last 3 or 4 years now. Have always left it blank, and the response from our regular doctor has always been to never bring it up.

Son went for sports physical for school this summer/fall and ended up seeing a PA in the office. As always, had filled out form left question on guns blank. She not only noted that it was left blank, but requested the information in a tone of voice to denote “Doctor Authority”. I asked WHY? Answer: To help promote Child Safety. I asked about her qualifications as a firearms safety instructor.

She walked out of the exam room.

Ended up having to have meeting in the hallway with our regular doctor, doctor in charge of the office and the PA. (She went and got them because of my refusal to answer and my Attitude.) Interestingly enough, both doctors told her it was not relevant to her exam, and if she wanted to teach firearm safety, then she should get qualified to do that and change careers. Don’t think she liked their answer very much.

Not real sure where our kids doctors stand on 2A issues. I have never discussed it with them. However, after this little meeting in the hallway, pretty sure I know which doctors my kids are going to be seeing for a while. Maybe the PA will leave the practice, hope so.

So this already out there with some providers who think it is their "duty" to collect the info. Only going to get worse.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Proctologist.........? Background Check.....? Obama....? Takes one to know one.....IMO.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    They want to get all of your information into one "universal" system.

Why do you think they are putting "swipe strips" on the back of your driver's license?

Data collection.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

Let me present you all with a what would you do scenario. Your state law does not prohibit you from carrying into a doctors office or hospital. And your state law also has no force of signage. Your doctors office has "no gun" signs. What do you do?
    Do you carry in anyway, knowing the sign doesn't hold legal weight, and also knowing that ur gonna have to strip down and expose your weapon?
    Or do you unarm so you don't have to be asked to leave a doctors office and take a chance on the uninformed calling the police.?
    Keep in mind, most ppl think because an establishment has a no gun sign that's the law and ur in violation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

Why do you think they are putting "swipe strips" on the back of your driver's license?

Data collection.
    Uh, Google got there first. Its done.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Your physician may, at some point, be required to ask or he/she may decide to ask anyway. They can ask all they want. I'll never answer the questions.

There are few kinds of behavior I find more offensive than a stranger occupying a professional position who 'feels' it is their right to pump me for personal information that is completely irrelevant to the service being provided. The last time this happened to me was during a clean and polish performed by a female dental technician who was clearly pumping me for gossip material. Believe me, just for fun, I gave her more shocking information than she could have ever possibly expected me to.

This is almost as offensive as having someone in a position of authority who 'feels' it is their right to inflict their personal opinions on me.

So, no, I would not answer such an impertinent question. I would simply tell them it was none of their damn business.

And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Yep!!! Let's say you had a death in the family and needed some temporary help getting through that. The anxiety made it where you couldn't sleep. You got medical help for a medical problem, but someone somewhere can now define that as a mental problem, mood disorder, depression, anxiety, etc. You're on the list, and no way to ever get off. Once people figure this out, they will no longer go to medical professionals for help with these types of normal medical issues that happen on rare occasions throughout the course of life. So, in effect, what we have is a process where LESS people are getting appropriate treatment which leads to MORE social issues.
    Exactly why a number of vets are not seeking help for PTSD from the VA.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Here's an idea that has already worked for the last few years now, answer, "That is none of your business!".
    Since there are only 2 boxes to be checked that answer will translate to a YES!!

My doctor is also my poker playin', golfing, help-me-drink-all-this-beer buddy who damn sure better not be contributing to the government's intended recon of my affairs. All I have to do is tell his wife how "charming" he becomes around the girls who drive the beer cart at the golf course and his little hall pass...gets cancelled.
    Bark'n, BugDude and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    My Dr and his staff runs around the office each armed with a brand new lap top. Everything they do is on it. The nurse came in the room and started to ask me questions and into the questions she told me that " big brother was watching" so I figured it out real fast. My answers got less specific with lots of no or none answers. They did not ask about a guns, but asked about how many adult drinks per week,how much soda, sugar,fast food, cigarettes,over counter drugs,illegal drugs, depression,suicide thoughts....... It added 15 minutes to my appointment. This obammy care thing is going to get expensive.
    Bark'n likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

Data collection.
    It's so when they write a ticket, they can swipe the card and it fills in all the blanks instead of having to type it in. I've been there, done that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Physicians have enough to worry about. Don't ask them to do something like this. The problem is that personal bias and subjective interpretation may cloud the patient-physician interaction if or when the subject of firearms comes up during a routine office visit. What if the physician is decidedly anti-gun? What if a simple question to a gun-owning patient about his firearms triggers a heated discussion in the clinic? The physician decides to "report" this patient to the proper authorities even though there is no formal diagnosis of a mental disorder. Have we thought that through?

I'm curious as to what the criteria and dialogue script will be when a physician brings up gun ownership during an appointment with a patient. Will there even be a script? How do we standardize these tens of thousands of patient-physician interactions and turn them into clear unambiguous data? If this patient sees another physician across town, would that physician see fit to alert authorities about the patient? One doc might report a patient when another doc, seeing the same patient and asking the same questions, might not.

I'm getting a headache. This is ridiculous.
    Trust me, there are plenty of "anti-gun" doctors out there who are ready and willing to do this. And short of any "official guidelines," they are more than happy to make up their own guidelines. If you don't believe this, you don't know very many doctors on a personal basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    People we have enough to worry about without making crap up. Obama didn't say physicians were going to be doing background checks. He didn't say they had to ask questions about guns in your homes. Let's worry about what he really did say rather than what we want to pretend he said.

So he is going to write a couple of letters and... well that's about it as far as physicians are concerned.
    Yeah, right.... Sheesh. You really believe all that, don't ya?

The whole point of Obama care was to (A) Take control of one sixth of the nations economy. And (B) to use it as a vehicle to exert as much control over peoples individual lives as possible, all under the guise of being part of the overall "health benefit" of the country. To think it won't be exploited as a vehicle to control or regulate firearms to the biggest extent they can get away with is naive.

Just about everything Obama said it would do, in promotion of getting it passed has so far been the exact opposite.

If you like your plan, you'll be able to keep it. Wrong! Thousands of people a day are losing their presently held healthcare plans. My company stopped ours 18 months ago.

The premiums you pay for your healthcare will go down by more than $2,000 a year. Wrong! Premiums have gone up, on average by $2,000 per year. That's exactly why my company dropped our healthcare. By losing my healthcare, I essentially took a $3,000/yr. pay cut since I didn't get a raise to cover me going out and buying my own private policy.
    1MoreGoodGuy and msgt/ret like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links