Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks - Page 5

Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

This is a discussion on Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet It's so when they write a ticket, they can swipe the card and it fills in all the blanks instead of ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's so when they write a ticket, they can swipe the card and it fills in all the blanks instead of having to type it in. I've been there, done that.
    Yes, you are correct, that is one of the uses.

When you go to the doctor, they ask you for your insurance card and your driver's license...Some even take your photo at time of check-in.

There is also a swipe on the back of your insurance card.

While you are sitting there with the clipboard filling out the form, what do you think they are doing with the insurance card and the driver's license?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My concern is with the doctors my kids see (for vaccinations, physicals for school etc.)
    I can almost guarantee that out of fear of lawsuits, government threats/oversight... these docs will be asking about guns in the home... access/safety etc.
    'Fire-arms in the house' will be noted on forms and in records.
    It's only a matter of time. The Feds are already getting access to our medical information through Obamacare.
    And once they become THE health-care provider...they can claim a vested interest in the 'added health threat' of firearms in the home.
    Our Pres is already describing 'gun violence' as a health issue.
    BugDude and msgt/ret like this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    My Dr and his staff runs around the office each armed with a brand new lap top. Everything they do is on it. The nurse came in the room and started to ask me questions and into the questions she told me that " big brother was watching" so I figured it out real fast. My answers got less specific with lots of no or none answers. They did not ask about a guns, but asked about how many adult drinks per week,how much soda, sugar,fast food, cigarettes,over counter drugs,illegal drugs, depression,suicide thoughts....... It added 15 minutes to my appointment. This obammy care thing is going to get expensive.
    All of which are legitimate health care related questions. Don't want medical care that is appropriate
    to your situation, don't answer or tell fibs.

Honestly, I don't think it is the least bit offensive to be asked about smoking by your doctor. Nor is it
    wrong to be asked if you take illegal drugs--- not giving truthful answer could possibly result in your
    death or perhaps lots of needless suffering. Same goes for not being truthful about drinking. The booze
    affects how your liver metabolizes almost every medicine that goes into you.

I understand folks getting upset about being asked about guns, but there are questions which are
    health related that you (generic you) need to be truthful about if you want appropriate care.

Here we go-- as public as it gets.
    Hopayrd-- Do you smoke? never till I was 60, now a cigar once in awhile
    Do you drink? Water, tea, and Bourbon with my cigars.
    How much soda? As much as I can get; love Coke Classic
    How much fast food do you eat? Depends on whether Mrs Hopyard feels like cooking. Can you say
    "Whataburger?" DQ? Love Pappa Johns? Where do you think this midline came from?
    Have you suffered from depression? Nope. Those around me suffer from depression. I work hard to
    make sure about that.
    Do you take illegal drugs? Heck NO. I don't want to lose my CHL. See, now you don't have to
    ask about guns in the house.

BTW, its all on Google (well it is now.)
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 17th, 2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    They want to get all of your information into one "universal" system.

Why do you think they are putting "swipe strips" on the back of your driver's license?

Data collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, Google got there first. Its done.
    Anyone wonder why the government is so interested to be buddies with Google? Anyone wonder why Google has been very cozy with the Obama administration?

Because they are the king of Data Mining!

Obamacare, or as the libs demand we refer to it as "The Affordable Care Act" will be the vehicle for which all kinds of surveillance will be gleaned. And under the "Act", will be ways to enforce all kinds of controls on behavior. Isn't it interesting how they tied the IRS into Obamacare?

Below are pictures of Google's Data Center in Dalles, Oregon! Freightening?

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Put him on the defensive. Ask him in front of a waiting room full of patients if he still beats his wife. He's damned no matter how he answers.
    BugDude likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The gubmint gets a ton of data from FACEBOOK too. That's the CIA's first and main source of information about anyone they need to inquire about. And people are voluntarily posting this stuff out there.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Have never been asked. I guess there are certain perks to being a little, gray-haired, granny. He would certainly be surprised at the .38 I keep beside my bed, and the .22 mag. I carry. Meanwhile, I smile sweetly, and never let on.

Here's an option for you younger guys if this bothers you so much (and it should): stop going to the doctor.

We know from well-controlled research (see link) that regular check-ups do nothing to extend one's life. Granted this is an extreme way to avoid having the government intrude on yet another aspect of your life, it would nevertheless be effective in helping keep you "off the grid" so to speak. I agree with many of the posters in this thread that there will be serious repercussions from the "perfect storm" of electronic medical records and the new push for gun control so choosing to stay out of the healthcare system by educating yourself about your health and eschewing yearly office visits with a physician could be a viable option. This way you wouldn't be bothered with the physician and his RN asking you about things that they have no business asking about. Just a thought.

General health checks in adults for reducing morbidity and mortality from disease: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis | BMJ
    wraithls1 likes this.

Re: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

All this chatter about data mining reminds me that it's time for my colonoscopy. If they ask me about guns in my home I'll say, of course, my guns are at home. My permit will be invalid very shortly.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Ex Member
    V.A. Hospital started that 3-4 years ago.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The gubmint gets a ton of data from FACEBOOK too. That's the CIA's first and main source of information about anyone they need to inquire about. And people are voluntarily posting this stuff out there.
    That's the first place my son goes when he's looking for a suspect. It's very successful.
    Hopyard and BugDude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We ask because about 1/3 of people who commit suicide see a primary care doc within 30 days of the event. Firearms are one of the more effective ways of completing a suicide. Some docs have an agenda, but most just want to take care of you. If you have kids in the home, it is a reasonable topic to discuss, just like car seats, mop buckets and latex balloons.
    Hopyard and oBMTo like this.

The doctor can always ask off the record without checking one of the government data mining boxes. As we get years down the road it will become common knowledge to the physicians and the public that people will not answer certain questions honestly and will not seek help for certain things due to being tagged and labeled. That will lead to a system of "off the record" visits and paper charts for certain things, and the physicians will be paid cash for those. I've been in healthcare for 20 years, and that happens now. It will just be commonplace down the road.

My Doctor asks me every week got any new guns...then shows me anything knew he bought and when we hit the range on Sundays shoot for about 2 to 3 hours
    msgt/ret and BugDude like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My Doctor asks me every week got any new guns...then shows me anything knew he bought and when we hit the range on Sundays shoot for about 2 to 3 hours
    That's the way it should be!!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links