Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks - Page 6

Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

This is a discussion on Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If the King has opened this door can the doctors be asking do we drink or take drugs when one takes a test for a ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

If the King has opened this door can the doctors be asking do we drink or take drugs when one takes a test for a drivers licenses.

I seem to remember German citizens going through a similar set of circumstances shortly before Hitler took control.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Does he perform the firearm check with or with out the rubber gloves on?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Freemen View Post
    We ask because about 1/3 of people who commit suicide see a primary care doc within 30 days of the event. Firearms are one of the more effective ways of completing a suicide. Some docs have an agenda, but most just want to take care of you. If you have kids in the home, it is a reasonable topic to discuss, just like car seats, mop buckets and latex balloons.
    WRONG it is not reasonable for a doctor to ask about firearms it is an absolute atrocity. My doctor has never taken a firearms class what the heck does he know about firearm safety?
    Last edited by Bark'n; January 18th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Yes, you are correct, that is one of the uses.

When you go to the doctor, they ask you for your insurance card and your driver's license...Some even take your photo at time of check-in.

There is also a swipe on the back of your insurance card.

While you are sitting there with the clipboard filling out the form, what do you think they are doing with the insurance card and the driver's license?
    re: Part in bold. The procedure solves two problems and creates a third. The two it solves are insurance fraud and
    medical mix ups. If you pic is on the records the doc can instantly know if the records are yours or if he has confused patients.

The problem caused is that most small offices are clueless about computer security; even many computer security firms
    are clueless about computer security. So opportunities for ID theft are enhanced through a process designed to prevent them.'
    Take a look here-
    Fighting Fraud with the Red Flags Rule
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    If the King has opened this door can the doctors be asking do we drink or take drugs when one takes a test for a drivers licenses.

I seem to remember German citizens going through a similar set of circumstances shortly before Hitler took control.
    YES, it is seldom done but here at least we are asked a string of health questions by DPS on issuance or renewal. DPS
    can have a medical review if your answer raises a flag about your ability to drive. They can have a medical review of
    your situation to determine if you are someone who can be allowed to have the DL.

The second statement in your post is over the top. We live in a practical world and society has a right to check with
    docs if someone's epilepsy for example is sufficiently controlled that it is safe for them to get behind a wheel. Or if someone's
    heart disease is sufficiently stable that they won't likely suffer sudden death while driving at 75 mph (our state's new default limit on highways). Why would we want it different? Do we really need to add risk to our daily lives?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yes but driving is not a RIGHT, it is a privilege.
    Bark'n and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if anybody mentioned this but I would just say that wouldn't requiring doctors to report to the authorities with respect to a patients mental fitness to own a firearm actually have the unintended consequence of just discouraging people who feel they might need help from a mental health professional from going to get it?

The designers of the mental health related laws are going to have to specifically identify mental conditions that can make a person prone to violence. Its sad that many modern day veterans are a perfect example. PTSD and the mental anguish it can cause can send someone who was once completely stable into a violent rage.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The problem caused is that most small offices are clueless about computer security; even many computer security firms
    are clueless about computer security. So opportunities for ID theft are enhanced through a process designed to prevent them.'
    The risk is very real. Add to this that most of the computer hackers that would compromise a system and obtain ID are far more skilled at their trade, more intelligent and creative, and working for reasons that are far more motivating than most doctors.

The more I think about this thread, the more justification I see for transferring my patronage to a witch doctor.

How is HIPAA impacted by this decision? Oh wait, HIPAA is a federal initiative so I guess I should feel comfortable that a federal database will have more personal information about me
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    The risk is very real. Add to this that most of the computer hackers that would compromise a system and obtain ID are far more skilled at their trade, more intelligent and creative, and working for reasons that are far more motivating than most doctors.

The more I think about this thread, the more justification I see for transferring my patronage to a witch doctor.
    I made my living as a director of IT at a Big Ten school. I could not agree more about you hacking statement! Heck, the current administration could not protect an Embassy and its staff why would they worry about a few bits and bytes of data?

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    How is HIPAA impacted by this decision? Oh wait, HIPAA is a federal initiative so I guess I should feel comfortable that a federal database will have more personal information about me
    I wondered this myself. The first link below is the federal government's summary of the law (which is much easier to read than the second link which is the actual law). Look at pages seven and eight of the summary. Having physicians and healthcare professionals report a patient to a federal gun ownership database could fall under the guise of 1) "Law Enforcement Purposes" 2) "Research" 3) "Serious Threat to Health or Safety" or perhaps even 4) "Essential Government Functions" if they want to get cocky.

Someone smarter than myself could forecast exactly how the federal government is maneuvering around HIPAA and which avenue they're taking: law enforcement needs, research, or threats. It's all manure though. They'll get the information they want from electronic medical records. Some physicians may elect not to ask patients about guns but many physicians will seize the opportunity. And posters before me have said it: lie. Lie, lie, lie. Or my (admittedly extreme) solution is to stop getting yearly checkups. They do very little to keep you above ground.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...acysummary.pdf

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...104publ191.htm

Wouldn't discussing firearms with a patient and then telling the government violate the HIPPA laws. Patient confidentially laws may be in play. If the did they may be exposed to legal ramifications.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Wouldn't discussing firearms with a patient and then telling the government violate the HIPPA laws. Patient confidentially laws may be in play. If the did they may be exposed to legal ramifications.
    I would think so but the King has different thoughts and an agenda.

VIP Member
    I think my doctor might have more firearms than me.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links