Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

This is a discussion on Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone else have an issue with your doctor perform background checks, ask how you store your firearms, or do you have a mentally ill ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Your Doctor performing Firearm background checks

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Does anyone else have an issue with your doctor perform background checks, ask how you store your firearms, or do you have a mentally ill family member, etc.?

Please read article on our King's executive order: Obama Asks Doctors to Help Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

Bend over and cough, Oh by the way while I'm holding your manhood do you have any firearms? How about your Mother-in-Law with Old Timers?
    the6shooter likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    He can ask whatever likes. How I answer is on me.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Physicians have enough to worry about. Don't ask them to do something like this. The problem is that personal bias and subjective interpretation may cloud the patient-physician interaction if or when the subject of firearms comes up during a routine office visit. What if the physician is decidedly anti-gun? What if a simple question to a gun-owning patient about his firearms triggers a heated discussion in the clinic? The physician decides to "report" this patient to the proper authorities even though there is no formal diagnosis of a mental disorder. Have we thought that through?

I'm curious as to what the criteria and dialogue script will be when a physician brings up gun ownership during an appointment with a patient. Will there even be a script? How do we standardize these tens of thousands of patient-physician interactions and turn them into clear unambiguous data? If this patient sees another physician across town, would that physician see fit to alert authorities about the patient? One doc might report a patient when another doc, seeing the same patient and asking the same questions, might not.

I'm getting a headache. This is ridiculous.
    darbo and aus71383 like this.

He can ask whatever he wants, for now I still have the right to remain silent. Just like I can ask him how much money he has in the bank...he doesn't have to answer my question either.
    Jetfuelrm and Bark'n like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I'll flatly ask them, "Why are you asking me a question that has absolutely nothing to do with my health or the job you are paid to perform?"
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    Well heck... By the title I thought I might be able to get a firearm transferred with my co-pay. Dashed my hopes again!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Usually one of my doctors questions is “What have you bought lately” since it is common for us to run into each other at the range.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My doctor in VA invited me over to his place to shoot groundhogs. Asked me to bring a variety of things over so he could check out some different stuff to help him decide what to buy. We also played cards together, and he never asked me if I had a gambling problem (because he usually won, it wasn't a problem). Life is much different in a urban environment. I miss the rural country mountains...
    shooterX, Bark'n and 91wm6 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My doctor in VA invited me over to his place to shoot groundhogs. Asked me to bring a variety of things over so he could check out some different stuff to help him decide what to buy. We also played cards together, and he never asked me if I had a gambling problem (because he usually won, it wasn't a problem). Life is much different in a urban environment. I miss the rural country mountains...
    That is awesome. I want to be in a place like that!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

My answer would be if I am in a good mood "Really?" if I was in a bad mood would be "None of your damn business."
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Ha, I've never needed a gun in my first 40 yrs, doubt I'd need it in the 2nd. Can you look at this mole?
    noway2 likes this.

...so he's asking the professionals who lead the country in suicides to determine MY mental condition? RIGHT!!!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...t-suicide-rate
    BugDude, msgt/ret, OD* and 4 others like this.

The question isn't a problem for me since since I lost all my guns in that freak gardening accident. PVC pipe and grease were involved.
    mkphillips and Sky Pilot like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Ha, I've never needed a gun in my first 40 yrs, doubt I'd need it in the 2nd. Can you look at this mole?
    \
    Seeing as I didn't get one until after i turned 40 :)
    I think this one is about the best response I've seen yet. There is still the classic, simple, no. Perhaps followed by, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"

I wondered if the doctor was going to say anything...

I was saw a pulmonary doctor (sleep study) today. She is a very friendly lady, but I know from past conversations that she is not pro-gun.
    Today I had a follow-up appointment, and I was not going to disarm. I figured that we would only be talking about my sleep study from a couple of months ago...so no problem.
    Well, when she finished with her study report, she decided to listen to my heart and lungs...I figured, OK, we'll see if she is bothered by my CC Glock-36, OWB at 4:30.
    She listened here, she listened there, she thumped here, she thumped there...nothing, nada, zip, zero...she didn't stumble upon my 'secret'.
    So...I don't know what she would have said, I guess it doesn't matter now.
    I guess my concealed carry is fairly effective. It was not illegal for me to carry there.

I probably would not offer much info if asked by a doctor about my SD/HD, except how do I transfer my file to another doctor.
    ArkhmAsylm, JoJoGunn and 640girl like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links