FL troubles?

This is a discussion on FL troubles? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rep. Alan Williams is calling for the repeal of our "Stand your Ground" law. For those who don't know, this simply means we do NOT ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Exacto

Thread: FL troubles?

FL troubles?

Rep. Alan Williams is calling for the repeal of our "Stand your Ground" law. For those who don't know, this simply means we do NOT have a duty to retreat in self-defense situations.

What are you feelings on this?

I do not approve. I do not like the idea that I have to turn and run, or back step and fall when someone is trying to do me harm.

2. Remove Ads

I don't agree either but honestly am not that surprised given what is currently going on in the political realm and the big SNAFU that happened with that gang banger down there this summer. Just MO YMMV.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

I don't think its going to happen frankly. I could be wrong but I don't think so
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

They've been saying that for about a year now and it has gone nowhere. The case they keep citing isn't settled in court yet and besides that it's a question of justified use of force, not a question of stand your ground. You have to be justified in your use of force before you can use the stand your ground defense.

Let me put it this way...if you use your firearm against someone who is unarmed and by all accounts could have avoided a confrontation with, are you justified to say you stood your ground? It's an area that the court system must decide. If it was deemed to be a legal usage of force then the stand your ground law can pertain to you not retreating from attack. If it was found that you instigated the attack in some way...doubt it will apply.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

We are witnessing the fall of an empire. It is an unmitigated disaster.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am quite sure it will not happen on the present governors watch, but Charlie Christ is warming up for a possible re-run for governor. He is a republican, no he was a republican, but is now a democrap, unless he recently switched to some othe group, and IMO one of the worst governors we have had in the past 30 years. You can tell a person by their handshake and can honestly say that Christ has the worst handshake of anyone that I have ever met.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I am quite sure it will not happen on the present governors watch, but Charlie Christ is warming up for a possible re-run for governor. He is a republican, no he was a republican, but is now a democrap, unless he recently switched to some othe group, and IMO one of the worst governors we have had in the past 30 years. You can tell a person by their handshake and can honestly say that Christ has the worst handshake of anyone that I have ever met.
    It still has to pass through the florida senate and house. Not gonna happen.

Like I said, they've been trying for around a year when in fact the law doesn't apply unless the use of force is justified by law enforcement. There is still question as to the legality of the use of force in this particular case. Until the case is closed and a verdict read by a jury, there is no stand your ground.

Stand your ground isn't a free pass "if you punch me I can shoot you". It's for us to be able to meet force with force. We used to have to find an escape route and only use force if we are cornered or have no other option. It must be determined if the requirements under the law were met for the use of lethal force(means, intent, and will to cause great bodily harm or death). Since law enforcement cannot determine if the shooting was legal, it's up to the district attourney to decide if any charges should be filed and allow the court system to decide. It may be ultimately decided that in pursuing the victim that all protections under the law were waved. In fact that's what I'm betting. You can't go looking for trouble, calling people out, following people you think look suspicious, or threatening someone. You can defend yourself against an unprovoked attack.

I know some people will argue that you are free to say what you want to someone but they can't hit you or that's assault. However, there are times when provocation is as bad as throwing the first punch. If it can be proven that you provoked an attack, it could go against you in the final ruling.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I also don't think it will happen.

I have contacted my state reps to give my support to SYG as well as my thoughts on other gun related issues, but I'm not really worried on a state level. Floridians have overall supported SYG, as has our legislature. I'm much more worried about what's going on on the federal level.

They need to change the name of it to, "No duty to retreat before legally and justifiably defending yourself" law.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    They need to change the name of it to, "No duty to retreat before legally and justifiably defending yourself" law.
    That's what it is. They just portray it as if the law allows you to simply claim you were attacked and are protected. That's not the case. You don't have to run, but you can't actively seek an incident.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Every politician (D) who sees an opportunity to take advantage of the current political climate will be crawling out from under a rock to propose some garbage legislation to increase his popularity with his left wing base.
    Lish and cmdrdredd like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

this will go no where. The Stand Your Ground Task Force already met, and did little if anything to move toward any type of change in the law.

We can thank the George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin disaster for this little chatter. Quite honestly, the longer this case goes, the more I feel that
    Zimmerman will be acquitted of all charges and his plea of self defense will probably come out on top......and then Sanford, Florida will burn to the ground.
    But that's just my opinion. I know that if a much bigger individual was pounding my head into the concrete, and I had a Keltec PF-9, I would have done the same
    thing Zimmerman did......and that is what the Stand Your Ground Law is all about. No duty to run and hide while being pummeled by a much larger aggressor, and every
    right to use deadly force.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    this will go no where. The Stand Your Ground Task Force already met, and did little if anything to move toward any type of change in the law.

We can thank the George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin disaster for this little chatter. Quite honestly, the longer this case goes, the more I feel that
    Zimmerman will be acquitted of all charges and his plea of self defense will probably come out on top......and then Sanford, Florida will burn to the ground.
    But that's just my opinion. I know that if a much bigger individual was pounding my head into the concrete, and I had a Keltec PF-9, I would have done the same
    thing Zimmerman did......and that is what the Stand Your Ground Law is all about. No duty to run and hide while being pummeled by a much larger aggressor, and every
    right to use deadly force.
    That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not zimmerman initiated a confrontation by following him and exiting his vehicle to pursue on foot. Details may come out in evidence that we do not know about yet as well. That would prevent a stand your ground defense.

He made all the wrong choices. He acted as a police officer without being sworn in as such IMO.
    -Thomas Jefferson

This will die in committee

Links