Total violent crime stats clearly show the public safety value of gun ownership.

This is a discussion on Total violent crime stats clearly show the public safety value of gun ownership. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is my letter to my legislators: Gun violence, the statistic quoted by Obama and other anti-gun people, is the wrong statistic to be worried ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fitch

Thread: Total violent crime stats clearly show the public safety value of gun ownership.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Total violent crime stats clearly show the public safety value of gun ownership.

This is my letter to my legislators:

Gun violence, the statistic quoted by Obama and other anti-gun people, is the wrong statistic to be worried about. The right one is total violent crime. The data clearly shows that where guns are banned, or severely controlled, total violent crime (the sum of robbery, rapes, murder, assaults, home invasions, etc.) increases several fold.

These numbers are hard to get because, where they are bad, the government tries to hide or obfuscate them. In Australia, for example, they don't include home invasions because they claim, with a straight face, that can't be defined as a crime. While the numbers available vary a little depending on the source and year, they don't vary enough to change the conclusion. These are the best I can find at the moment:

In the US, with all of the guns, it's ~466 violent crimes per /100,000 residents, and it's coming down.

New Zealand with all it's guns, it's ~350/100,000. Compare New Zealand with it's neighbor Australia below. The only real difference between the two countries is their gun laws. New Zeeland has lots of guns, not much crime. Australia confiscated it’s residents guns and rendered them defenseless against violent crime.

Switzerland, where there is a sub-machine gun (fully automatic military
    assault weapon) gun in nearly every home, the violent crime rate is the
    lowest on the planet.

In the following gun ban countries, where I could get data, violent crime is much much higher than in the US:

In England the violent crime rate is ~2,034/100,000 annually. All of
    England (highest violent crime rate in the EU) is worse than all but our
    two worst cities, Flint and Detroit, MI (2,337/100,000 and 2,137/100,000 respectively).

Australia is 1,600/100,000. Compare that to New Zealand at 350/100,000.

In Canada where handguns are controlled, but still available to a few, it's 802/100,000. A woman is 3 times more likely to be raped in Canada than in the US.

In this article Former DC Prosecutor Shapiro: Severe Gun Control Doesn?t Work
    Former DC prosecutor Shapiro confirms the same phenomena happened in DC following the gun ban there. He knows first hand, having been in charge of the experiment, banning guns leads to a huge rise in violent crime. Since the Heller decision reversed the gun ban, violent crime in DC has been cut in half.
    Canada, England, Australia all experienced the same thing. Criminals like defenseless victims. What is so intellectually difficult about that concept?

Nothing.

That being the case, the agenda of the gun grabbers isn't improving public safety because taking guns away is indisputably demonstrated to have the exact opposite effect on violent crime. Their agenda is the same as it is always is for disarming the populace, power and control. In England it's become a bizarre situation. The defenseless citizens, the victim class, are caught between the protected class politicians on one side taking all the money they can tax out of them, the criminals on the other side taking whatever is left while physically assaulting them at the same time, and the police arresting them for defending themselves, even with baseball bats, even against repeat offenders who invade their homes and beat them. Don't say it can't happen here. There are many who think England is utopia. I think it's the return to the middle ages with electricity and indoor plumbing.

Fitch
    BugDude and darbo like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

sadly.. i live in Michigan, too close to flint, not far enough away from Detroit.. and dont forget Saginaw... something like 2309/100,000 people.. your chances of becoming a victim in saginaw are 1 in 43.. not cool.

If only we had the 1million CCW/CPL holders like florida does... we're only at about 400,000.. with a population of just under 10million.. thats not enough.

Links