I am a tax paying citizen, business owner, combat veteran and law abiding gun owner. I am sick of seeing the media portray guns as evil killing machines. Guns are nothing more than tools. Tools for many uses. Some of which are target shooting, hunting and the most important, self defense/home defense.
I have owned many guns over the years, including an AR15. Not one of them ever harmed anyone. Not one of them had any volition of it's own. They are inanimate objects subject to my use. They do not control themselves. They do not control me.
In a recent report by Mother Jones it was stated that there has not been a single instance of a gun being used by a citizen to stop a mass killing. This is a case of letting the statistics lie for you. By their(Mother Jones) definition, a mass killing involves four or more deaths. And by that definition, their statement is correct. What they do not want you to hear is that in many reported instances possible mass killings have been thwarted by individuals legally carrying a fire arm.
Here are a few such cases:
On Dec. 11, 2012 a man took his own life after shooting two others in a mall in Clackamas, Ore. He took his own life after Nick Meli, a concealed carry holder drew his concealed hand gun in an effort to challenge the killer.
From the Weekly Standard:
– Winnemucca, Nev., 2008: Ernesto Villagomez opens fire in a crowded restaurant; concealed carry permit-holder shoots him dead. Total dead: Two. (I’m excluding the shooters’ deaths in these examples.)
– Appalachian School of Law, 2002: Crazed immigrant shoots the dean and a professor, then begins shooting students; as he goes for more ammunition, two armed students point their guns at him, allowing a third to tackle him. Total dead: Three.
– Santee, Calif., 2001: Student begins shooting his classmates — as well as the “trained campus supervisor”; an off-duty cop who happened to be bringing his daughter to school that day points his gun at the shooter, holding him until more police arrive. Total dead: Two.
– Pearl High School, Mississippi, 1997: After shooting several people at his high school, student heads for the junior high school; assistant principal Joel Myrick retrieves a .45 pistol from his car and points it at the gunman’s head, ending the murder spree. Total dead: Two.
– Edinboro, Pa., 1998: A student shoots up a junior high school dance being held at a restaurant; restaurant owner pulls out his shotgun and stops the gunman. Total dead: One.
It would have been much more accurate had Mother Jones said that there have been absolutely zero documented cases of a homicidal maniac being deterred from killing by a “Gun Free Zone”.
Any of the above cases would have likely had much higher death tolls if the killers had not been confronted by armed citizens. Remember this, “When seconds count, the police are minutes away.” This is not a criticism of law enforcement. It is the simple truth. Police cannot be everywhere all the time and the Supreme Court has ruled the law enforcement officers have no duty to protect or defend. Their duty is to apprehend and detain criminals.
Then one must ask how many self defense situations are not reported because no shots were ever fired. How many lives have been saved simply by showing a gun and and a willingness to defend yourself?
It's time to stop blaming inanimate objects for the failings of Humans. As long as there are evil men there will be ways for them to hurt others. The best way to stop a bad man with a gun is a good man or woman with a gun.