Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell...

This is a discussion on Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep... Talk all the talk you want... Several senators are realizing that walking the party line may be more expensive than their credit cards allow!!! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell...

Lightbulb Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell...

Yep...

Talk all the talk you want...

Several senators are realizing that walking the party line may be more expensive than their credit cards allow!!!

Senate Dems hesitant on Obama gun control plan | Fox News

Even Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, who is considered to have a pro-gun rights record, said only that the chamber would "consider" the legislation.
    Yeah...

They'll "consider" signing their own resignation letters like they did as a result of '94 AWB...

Keep fighting the good fight, it's working.

oakchas and Doghandler like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

2. Remove Ads

Seems like some are starting to remember how costly the '94 AWB was for the Dems as well as how costly Obamacare was for them. Unlike Obama, these people need to get themselves re-elected again.
    kerberos likes this.

Yeah...

Unless some back-room deals are made for post-election employment (the cushy type)...

Keeping my fingers crossed and my mouth open on this one.

Darrow75 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Senior Moderator
    Something will pass, but it will not be an AWB and I hope that it want be a hi cap mag ban either.

I expect background check on all gun sales with no enforcement provision
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Maybe we should send each of our congressmen a post card with a simple message they might understand. “Remember 1996”
    mulle46, mano3, oakchas and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Something will pass, but it will not be an AWB and I hope that it want be a hi cap mag ban either.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too...they are trying to calculate what they can get away with without too big of an uproar. It's all about the math to them when it comes to electability issues. We need to keep the pressure on so that we remain part of their calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

I expect about the same I guess...

I don't like it, but I do expect that as the minimum...

Once some of these guys and gals realize just how many voters own handguns with "clips" that hold more than 7 or 10 rounds.

USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

VIP Member
    I hope they can't get it passed. The story was from Fox so they make it sound good to us. Now if it came from MSNBC that would be huge.
    The spilt house and senate will have a hard time passing anything short of a pay raise for themselves.
    smolck, pgrass101 and kerberos like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Ive been sending emails to my reps.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I hope they can't get it passed. The story was from Fox so they make it sound good to us. Now if it came from MSNBC that would be huge.
    The spilt house and senate will have a hard time passing anything short of a pay raise for themselves.
    Here ya go...

CNN
    Obama-backed gun bills considered a long shot in Congress - CNN.com

MSNBC
    First Thoughts: A tough sell - First Read

oakchas likes this.
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Don't place your bets against Harry Reid just yet. A Senator since 1987, he was just re-elected in 2010. He won't be up again until 2016, at which time he will be 76 years old. Like many politicians have done in the past when they are certain they will lose the next election, he could announce in 2014 or 2015 he is retiring at the end of his term. I don't trust what he says now, nor do I trust what he says he will do in the future.

Senior Moderator
    Reid is a snake in the grass.

Trusting anything that he says is like playing with a rattlesnake. You might do it for awhile and be OK but as some point you will get bit. Then your hand will rot off and you'll tell yourself..."dang,I should have known better".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Don't place your bets against Harry Reid just yet. A Senator since 1987, he was just re-elected in 2010. He won't be up again until 2016, at which time he will be 76 years old. Like many politicians have done in the past when they are certain they will lose the next election, he could announce in 2014 or 2015 he is retiring at the end of his term. I don't trust what he says now, nor do I trust what he says he will do in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Reid is a snake in the grass.

Trusting anything that he says is like playing with a rattlesnake. You might do it for awhile and be OK but as some point you will get bit. Then your hand will rot off and you'll tell yourself..."dang,I should have known better".
    Don't get me wrong...

I, in no way, meant that we should back down an inch...

Or give trust where it has not been earned...

Just pointing out that this is the first I have heard that some of the oppositions leadership has gotten a wake up call.

I started this thread as a means to provide encouragement for all of those who have been "fighting the good fight" on this issue.

I'm a young guy compared to most here (I think) but I'm nowhere near as naive as I once was.

oakchas likes this.
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Senior Moderator
    Fact of the matter is, I dont trust any of them to do the right thing in regards to the U.S. Constitution.

They have all subverted it too many time to have my trust.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Don't get me wrong...

I, in no way, meant that we should back down an inch...

Or give trust where it has not been earned...

Just pointing out that this is the first I have heard that some of the oppositions leadership has gotten a wake up call.

I started this thread as a means to provide encouragement for all of those who have been "fighting the good fight" on this issue.

I'm a young guy compared to most here (I think) but I'm nowhere near as naive as I once was.

I can't speak for HG but my post was not directed at you my friend. I just wanted to throw out another point of view before everyone gets sucked into a false sense of security with this nutjob.
    kerberos likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links