Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell...

This is a discussion on Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep... Talk all the talk you want... Several senators are realizing that walking the party line may be more expensive than their credit cards allow!!! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    746

    Lightbulb Reality hits the Senate: it's gonna be a tough sell...

    Yep...

    Talk all the talk you want...

    Several senators are realizing that walking the party line may be more expensive than their credit cards allow!!!

    Senate Dems hesitant on Obama gun control plan | Fox News

    Even Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, who is considered to have a pro-gun rights record, said only that the chamber would "consider" the legislation.
    Yeah...

    They'll "consider" signing their own resignation letters like they did as a result of '94 AWB...

    Keep fighting the good fight, it's working.

    oakchas and Doghandler like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Darrow75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    609
    Seems like some are starting to remember how costly the '94 AWB was for the Dems as well as how costly Obamacare was for them. Unlike Obama, these people need to get themselves re-elected again.
    kerberos likes this.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    746
    Yeah...

    Unless some back-room deals are made for post-election employment (the cushy type)...

    Keeping my fingers crossed and my mouth open on this one.

    Darrow75 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  5. #4
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,475
    Something will pass, but it will not be an AWB and I hope that it want be a hi cap mag ban either.

    I expect background check on all gun sales with no enforcement provision
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,241
    Maybe we should send each of our congressmen a post card with a simple message they might understand. “Remember 1996”
    mulle46, mano3, oakchas and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Darrow75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Something will pass, but it will not be an AWB and I hope that it want be a hi cap mag ban either.

    I expect background check on all gun sales with no enforcement provision
    That's kind of what I'm thinking too...they are trying to calculate what they can get away with without too big of an uproar. It's all about the math to them when it comes to electability issues. We need to keep the pressure on so that we remain part of their calculation.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Something will pass, but it will not be an AWB and I hope that it want be a hi cap mag ban either.

    I expect background check on all gun sales with no enforcement provision
    I expect about the same I guess...

    I don't like it, but I do expect that as the minimum...

    Once some of these guys and gals realize just how many voters own handguns with "clips" that hold more than 7 or 10 rounds.

    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,337
    I hope they can't get it passed. The story was from Fox so they make it sound good to us. Now if it came from MSNBC that would be huge.
    The spilt house and senate will have a hard time passing anything short of a pay raise for themselves.
    smolck, pgrass101 and kerberos like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,006
    Ive been sending emails to my reps.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I hope they can't get it passed. The story was from Fox so they make it sound good to us. Now if it came from MSNBC that would be huge.
    The spilt house and senate will have a hard time passing anything short of a pay raise for themselves.
    Here ya go...

    CNN
    Obama-backed gun bills considered a long shot in Congress - CNN.com

    MSNBC
    First Thoughts: A tough sell - First Read

    oakchas likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,743
    Don't place your bets against Harry Reid just yet. A Senator since 1987, he was just re-elected in 2010. He won't be up again until 2016, at which time he will be 76 years old. Like many politicians have done in the past when they are certain they will lose the next election, he could announce in 2014 or 2015 he is retiring at the end of his term. I don't trust what he says now, nor do I trust what he says he will do in the future.

  13. #12
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,868
    Reid is a snake in the grass.

    Trusting anything that he says is like playing with a rattlesnake. You might do it for awhile and be OK but as some point you will get bit. Then your hand will rot off and you'll tell yourself..."dang,I should have known better".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Don't place your bets against Harry Reid just yet. A Senator since 1987, he was just re-elected in 2010. He won't be up again until 2016, at which time he will be 76 years old. Like many politicians have done in the past when they are certain they will lose the next election, he could announce in 2014 or 2015 he is retiring at the end of his term. I don't trust what he says now, nor do I trust what he says he will do in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Reid is a snake in the grass.

    Trusting anything that he says is like playing with a rattlesnake. You might do it for awhile and be OK but as some point you will get bit. Then your hand will rot off and you'll tell yourself..."dang,I should have known better".
    Don't get me wrong...

    I, in no way, meant that we should back down an inch...

    Or give trust where it has not been earned...

    Just pointing out that this is the first I have heard that some of the oppositions leadership has gotten a wake up call.

    I started this thread as a means to provide encouragement for all of those who have been "fighting the good fight" on this issue.

    I'm a young guy compared to most here (I think) but I'm nowhere near as naive as I once was.

    oakchas likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  15. #14
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,868
    Fact of the matter is, I dont trust any of them to do the right thing in regards to the U.S. Constitution.

    They have all subverted it too many time to have my trust.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Don't get me wrong...

    I, in no way, meant that we should back down an inch...

    Or give trust where it has not been earned...

    Just pointing out that this is the first I have heard that some of the oppositions leadership has gotten a wake up call.

    I started this thread as a means to provide encouragement for all of those who have been "fighting the good fight" on this issue.

    I'm a young guy compared to most here (I think) but I'm nowhere near as naive as I once was.

    I can't speak for HG but my post was not directed at you my friend. I just wanted to throw out another point of view before everyone gets sucked into a false sense of security with this nutjob.
    kerberos likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

awb obama

Click on a term to search for related topics.