Why I signed up for a Lifetime Membership in the NRA

This is a discussion on Why I signed up for a Lifetime Membership in the NRA within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am happy with most of what I've seen from the NRA in the past few weeks. They are between a rock and a hard ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why I signed up for a Lifetime Membership in the NRA

I am happy with most of what I've seen from the NRA in the past few weeks. They are between a rock and a hard place most times. I wasn't gonna commit for life but I did renew for 2 years this time. They really need a better spokesperson at the helm. Some are coming off as wack jobs, or too liberal, or just plain angry. They need one face in front of the cams. Not Wayne though. Someone more polished....wish Heston was still alive!
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Write or call them, or Google it. I've provided the info, it's not a secret. If you don't like it or don't believe me, oh well.

"Due to various laws, the NRA-ILA is a separate entity and it does not receive any funding from normal membership dues. The NRA-ILA's funding comes from separate member donations specifically contributed to support our lobbying and political activities."
    Well; here's what I found from their site...

Established in 1990, The NRA Foundation, Inc. (“NRA Foundation”) is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological, and artistic context. Funds granted by The NRA Foundation benefit a variety of constituencies throughout the United States including children, youth, women, individuals with physical disabilities, gun collectors, law enforcement officers, hunters, and competitive shooters.
    Getting a little technical from a business standpoint; but...

Contributions to the NRA are not tax deductable only because they never filed for a 501(c)(3), due primarily to their #1 status of being a legislative entity.

The NRA is well within their right to funnel monies to the NRA Foundation.

and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological, and artistic context.
    So yes! They can produce videos with NRA membership dues funneled to the NRA Foundation.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'm in total support, right now, with the NRA. I have been a member for a number of years. However, let me tell you why I will not sign-up for a life membership. I want the NRA to work for my membership every year. No slacking. By not joining for life, I can vote with my checkbook each year to signal whether or not I feel they are working in my best interest. I'm in full support now, but they have to earn it.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

You're good with the universal background checks that they are apparently backing?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'm in full support of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Re: Why I signed up for a Lifetime Membership in the NRA

And criminals will make each other get background checks?

I agree with you, but how many private sales really contribute to this? They are either stolen, or previously owned in most cases.

I always ask to see a drivers license and permit to purchase or permit to carry, I figure at least they passed the state requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    ...I want the NRA to work for my membership every year. No slacking. By not joining for life, I can vote with my checkbook each year to signal whether or not I feel they are working in my best interest. ... but they have to earn it.
    This I agree with.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I'm in full support of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.
    I hope that they make a law for that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links