Amendment 2 and a half

Amendment 2 and a half

This is a discussion on Amendment 2 and a half within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just saw a link to a great article in the National Review by Dave Kopel in 2002 about a proposal for a "Goose and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By bklynboy
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Amendment 2 and a half

Amendment 2 and a half

I just saw a link to a great article in the National Review by Dave Kopel in 2002 about a proposal for a "Goose and the Gander" Amendment to the 2a that would provide:
    1. No government agency, nor employee of any government agency, shall be allowed to possess firearms prohibited to the citizens of the state, county, or municipality in which they serve.

2. No government agency, nor any employee of any government agency, shall be exempt from laws and regulations regarding the possession or use of firearms which affect the citizens of the state, county, or municipality in which they serve.

3. All exemptions inconsistent with sections 1 and 2 shall be void beginning on the 30th day after the ratification of this amendment.

4. Nothing in this amendment shall be construed to exempt agencies and employees of the federal government from federal, state, or local laws and regulations related to firearms.

5. Nothing in this amendment shall apply to the Department of Defense or states' National Guards.
    Seems fair to me, If we can't have it neither can the cops or the Secret Service

The link is here Dave Kopel & Robert Racansky on Guns on National Review Online
    ccw9mm, DaRedneck and Pistology like this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Nice, but you forgot that they are elitist hypocrites. YOU are the subjects, they are the kings.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Nice, but you forgot that they are elitist hypocrites.
    It's not that he forgot at all. In fact this just highlights that fact,
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Life--and politicians--are not fair.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with it. Lets send it to NY first.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I like it. You would think "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" would be enough but unfortunately it appears it is not.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The Constitution already prohibits government from infringing our right to keep and bear arms... whether citizen or employee of The People (aka government). There is no differentiation because any infringement IS NOT CONSTITUTIONAL.

I'm not sure that you know what 'infringe' means:

in·fringe /inˈfrinj/

Verb 1. Actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.): "infringe a copyright". 2. Act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: "infringe on his privacy".

I've always been under the impression that our legal system was based on "equal treatment under the law". Not being an attorney, it stands to reason that any law passed already applies to politicians and their agents. Silly me
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    The Constitution already prohibits government from infringing our right to keep and bear arms... whether citizen or employee of The People (aka government). There is no differentiation because any infringement IS NOT CONSTITUTIONAL.

I'm not sure that you know what 'infringe' means:

in·fringe /inˈfrinj/

Verb 1. Actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.): "infringe a copyright". 2. Act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: "infringe on his privacy".
    Seems to be a challenge for the courts, as well.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links