An Email From the National Education Association

This is a discussion on An Email From the National Education Association within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got this email today from the National Education Association edinsider@nea.org in yet another, pathetic attempt to once again exploit or children, in an attempt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Email From the National Education Association

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar

I got this email today from the National Education Association edinsider@nea.org in yet another, pathetic attempt to once again exploit or children, in an attempt that our current administration is dead set on pushing their agenda, to disarm all of our Law Abiding American Citizens.

All while under their cloak of darkness, and through shielding themselves behind and taking advantage of our children.

Their agenda is even-more, becoming very clear! The Disarmament of All Law Abiding American's and that of “We the People”!

News from Capitol Hill. . .

January 18, 2013

NOW IS THE TIME: STOP THE VIOLENCE AND PROTECT OUR CHILDREN

As our nation continues to heal from the latest horrific gun violence that claimed the lives of children and their heroic teachers, President Obama and Vice President Biden this week unveiled a sweeping series of proposals to help stem the tide of violence. The president has proposed action in several key areas:

• Closing background check loopholes to keep guns out of dangerous hands;

• Banning military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and taking other common-sense steps to reduce gun violence;

• Making our schools safer, not only by enhancing their physical security and making sure they are prepared to respond to emergencies like a mass shooting, but also by creating safer and more nurturing school climates that help prevent school violence; and

• Improving mental health services.

The President's plan for school safety recognizes that "each school is different and should have the flexibility to address its most pressing needs" and that districts should be able to choose what is best to protect their own students. Read the President's full plan.

NEA praised the President's proposals. We believe in a multi-pronged approach that includes meaningful action on preventing gun violence but also bullying prevention and much greater access to mental health services, so educators and families can identify problems and intervene before it's too late. Read NEA's full statement in response to the President's plan. The presidential recommendations are in line with the views of NEA members. A new NEA member poll released this week indicates overwhelming support for stronger gun violence prevention laws, including background checks and bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazine clips.

While some pieces of the President's plan will be enacted through Executive Order, the major pieces must be passed by Congress.

Take Action Today:

• Tell Congress enough is enough-we cannot allow even one more child to die from senseless gun violence. E-mail your Members of Congress and tell them to act immediately to pass the President's proposals.

• Share your personal experiences. Lawmakers need to know the real impact of this violence in our schools and classrooms. Please help by sharing with us what you think lawmakers in Washington, DC should do to address these tragic shootings. Have you or has your school been touched by gun-related violence? What have your experiences been as educators having to talk about these tragedies with your students? Share your thoughts and ideas by sending them to edinsider@nea.org.

TELL CONGRESS: KIDS NOT CUTS

The fiscal cliff deal passed earlier this month partially reduced and delayed pending across-the-board cuts for two months. These deep, arbitrary cuts, if allowed to go into effect, will be devastating to the programs and services that ordinary Americans depend on, including education, transportation, public safety, medical research, and environmental protection.
    The cuts to education alone could still exceed $3 billion just in 2013. Discretionary programs have already borne a disproportionate share of deficit reduction-taking a $1.5 trillion hit in the past few years. Instead of demanding that wealthy corporations pay their fair share, some in Congress want to continue placing the heaviest burden on the middle class, students, and vital services.

Stopping these cuts will be an uphill battle. The only way we will win is if we personalize the impact of the cuts. We know that the impending cuts will be harshest on the students who are in most need of help and can least afford to take more hits, including students in high poverty communities and students with disabilities. But, we need to show Members of Congress how real students in real schools would be hurt. We ask you to share your story-tell us how education cuts would impact your students and your school.

Take action today:

• Share your story. Tell us how budget cuts would affect your students, you, your schools and your school colleagues. Make sure Congress hears your voice and knows you will hold them accountable. Read some of the stories already submitted by educators.

• E-mail your Senators and Representative and tell them to oppose any more cuts to education.

• Call Congress, using our Educator Connector Line, 1.866.293.7278, to urge elected officials to protect education, Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security.

• Take the "Kids Not Cuts" pledge today -- to speak up for America's kids and working families, and to make sure the new Congress makes the right choices. Already took the pledge? Share it with at least five friends and ask them to join the fight to stand up for America's kids and working families.

• Find the latest news on the current debates on our "Kids Not Cuts" page on the Education Votes website.

THIRD ANNIVERSARY OF "CITIZENS UNITED" COURT DECISION: FIND AN EVENT NEAR YOU THIS WEEKEND TO DEMAND "MONEY OUT, VOTERS IN!"

The weekend of January 19, 2013, is Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday and the anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. That controversial ruling said that corporations can spend unlimited sums to influence our elections.
    On January 19, 2013, and the days surrounding it, join activists in your area to unite two powerful messages calling for a more just and democratic nation. First, to honor MLK Day, demand the right for everyone to vote without obstruction. Second, to protest the Citizens United ruling on its third anniversary, join the nationwide call to get big money out of politics and enact free and fair elections in America.

Take Action Today:

• Find and sign up for an event near you

• Find resources that can help you host or participate in events.

REMINDER TAKE OUR CYBER-LOBBYIST SURVEY AND TELL US WHAT ISSUES MATTER MOST TO YOU

If you haven't already done so, please take just a few moments to fill out our very brief survey. As the 113th Congress begins, your voice will be more critical than ever. Education activists like you are the key to our success in advancing pro-public education policies. Please help us make sure we are providing you with the information you want on the issues that matter most to you, your family, your students, and your community. Please complete our very brief survey to help us tailor information to meet your interests.

Take Action Today: Fill out our brief cyber-lobbyist survey to let us know what issues matter most to you.

CHEERS AND JEERS

Cheers to:
    President Obama and Vice President Biden, who moved swiftly and presented concrete, bold steps to keep children safe and begin addressing gun violence in America.

President Obama, who in a press conference this week said with relation to the nation's debt ceiling, "[W]e've got to pay our bills. And Republicans in Congress have two choices here. They can act responsibly, and pay America's bills, or they can act irresponsibly and put America through another economic crisis. But they will not collect a ransom in exchange for not crashing the American economy. The financial wellbeing of the American people is not leverage to be used. The full faith and credit of the United States of America is not a bargaining chip. And they better choose quickly, because time is running short."

Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), who said she does not think the debt ceiling should be political leverage to cut government spending, saying, "If you incur an obligation, you have a responsibility to pay for that."

Senator Susan Collins (R-ME), who also said through her spokesperson, "Senator Collins recognizes that the debt ceiling is going to have to be raised because the U.S. cannot default on its obligations to pay for spending that has already occurred."

Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), new Chair of the Senate Budget Committee, who wrote in an op-ed this week, "Democrats have been very clear that we are willing to make tough compromises in the context of a balanced and bipartisan budget deal. But just like last year, we are going to fight to make sure that any deal we make is fair for the middle class. That's what the American people clearly called for last November, and we are not going to stop. So if Republicans are so committed to protecting every one of these tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans and biggest corporations, and they are determined to balance the budget simply by cutting Social Security, Medicare and other programs for seniors, the middle class and most vulnerable families, then they are going to prevent us from getting a deal and we are going to feel the impact of sequestration in March."

Jeers to:
    Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), who said in response to the President's plan to address gun violence, "President Obama is targeting the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens instead of seriously addressing the real underlying causes of such violenceÉ.Guns are not the problem; criminals with evil in their hearts and mentally ill people prone to violence areÉ. As a strong defender of the 2nd Amendment, I will oppose the President's attempts to undermine Americans' constitutional right to bear arms."

Representative Tim Huelskamp (R-KS), who issued a sharply-worded retort to the President's proposals to address gun violence, saying, "The Second Amendment is non-negotiable. The right to bear arms is a right, despite President Obama's disdain for the Second Amendment and the Constitution's limits on his power. Congress must stand firm for the entirety of the Constitution-even if, but particularly so, when President Obama seeks to ignore his obligation to ‘preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.' Taking away the rights and abilities of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves is yet another display of the Obama Administration's consolidation of power."

Education Insider is sent to your in-box once a week. We deliver inside information on developments in the federal government that affect children and public education. If you find this information useful, tell a friend. They can sign up for their very own copy at NEA - Legislative Action Center and click on "Become a cyber-lobbyist and subscribe to our weekly e-mail newsletter".

Visit our Education Votes site to share your story and read about other actions you can take to make sure your voice is heard on the issues that matter the most.

Follow us:

Unsubscribe •Privacy Policy

Published by the National Education Association, 1201 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.

The Barrack Obama propaganda machine has been cranked up.

We will all hear more from the unions (the BO Brown-shirts) trying to convince all Americans to worship Der Fuehrer.

When are these idiots going to understand that "gun free zones" get people killed? When? It's disgusting what has become of the "educational" system in this country. Just last week, two little boys were expelled from school for playing "Cops and Robbers" and making the "gun" motion with their hands. Another kid got expelled a few years ago for drawing a picture of a gun.

But no. They refuse to address the problem and fix it. They would much rather hold candlelight vigils for the victims of their "gun free zones" and pat their stupid selves on the back because they "tried to reduce gun violence."

Let me tell you. if I received such a letter, my response would never get through because of their curse filter.

Idiots. Pure and simple.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The NEA is a political organization? Who knew?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    They are now, and rest assured that they'll instill in every child that "guns are bad, mmmkay?" The schools are a big part of the reason why so many goofballs out there think that the 2nd Amendment is about hunting and an AR-15 is an "assault rifle."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Not surprised. The NEA is a joke.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    When are these idiots going to understand that "gun free zones" get people killed? When? It's disgusting what has become of the "educational" system in this country. Just last week, two little boys were expelled from school for playing "Cops and Robbers" and making the "gun" motion with their hands. Another kid got expelled a few years ago for drawing a picture of a gun.

But no. They refuse to address the problem and fix it. They would much rather hold candlelight vigils for the victims of their "gun free zones" and pat their stupid selves on the back because they "tried to reduce gun violence."

Let me tell you. if I received such a letter, my response would never get through because of their curse filter.

Idiots. Pure and simple.
    We used to have squirt-gun fights on the play-ground at school during recess!

We used to make guns out of scraps of wood and play cops & robbers, and combat!

A while back a deaf child's name-sign looked like a gun so the school administration wanted him to change his name!

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post

A while back a deaf child's name-sign looked like a gun so the school administration wanted him to change his name!
    Yeah. There's just no end to the idiocy.

-miklcolt45

Re: An Email From the National Education Association

Yes, many of them are idiots... Yes they will teach our children inaccuracies.

We have to combat it through public education that we must pay for, because that is the only way it will be seen.

WE have to teach our children and grandchildren the TRUTH. That has always been our responsiblity.

We have to engage our progeny, and our enemy, with facts, and truth...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I love it, unions should be able to spend anything they want on campaigns but corporations should be frozen out. I'm sure they don't see the problem with that. I mean they are just teachers and we all know what they say about people who can't do.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

When I was in High School we had a rifle club. Periodically I was given money and I had to drive into DC to the NRA HQ to but 10,000 rounds of ammo for the club. I would bring it to school and put it in my locker until the equipment room opened & I could turn it in.

Every other week I would draw a half dozen rifles from the equipment room & put them in my locker for the shoot that night. The next day they would go in my locker until the equipment room opened for me to turn them in.

This was in NOVA! Times have changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    They are now, and rest assured that they'll instill in every child that "guns are bad, mmmkay?" The schools are a big part of the reason why so many goofballs out there think that the 2nd Amendment is about hunting and an AR-15 is an "assault rifle."
    Who runs the education system? = THE GOVERNMENT

Where & how, do they get the money to fund the education system? = TAXES

How do school board members become members of the local school boards? = WE VOTE THEM IN

Do school boards recommend and support and indorse and back political candidates running for office? = YES

Sounds like a political organization to me

Sounds like a political organization to me
    My deadpan was a bit too dry, I guess. I know about the NEA (teachers in the family). And I appreciate they're publicly funded, hence tied to the teat/taxes and political winds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This crap is why we are planning on sending our daughter to our church's school when she's old enough.

Given the pathetic state of the education system in this country today they should focus on their failure to educate and forget about everything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links