My Opinion Piece:

This is a discussion on My Opinion Piece: within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The recent tragedy in Newtown, CT is overwhelming enough, but somehow made slightly more disheartening by the immediacy of the political response. In a way, ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Air,Land&Sea
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: My Opinion Piece:

My Opinion Piece:

The recent tragedy in Newtown, CT is overwhelming enough, but somehow made slightly more disheartening by the immediacy of the political response. In a way, though, that response typifies where the answers that we all seek may be found.
    One side blames guns, another video games and yet another the moral fabric of our society. All are wrong (since none gives anyone the right to be violent), but the efforts of some to debate and find the real answer are noble and necessary. Many questions arise from tragedy, yet few have the courage to be honest. So we pursue the easy path by immediately blaming those who didn’t do it. We set out to implement policies that force the law-abiding to accommodate to the expected behavior of the sociopath.
    It gets worse since these same policies assume that criminals are rational, but we’re just presenting more laws for criminals to ignore. We miss the mark entirely by instituting no change whatsoever at best and, at worse, creating a thriving black market that further empowers predatory confidence against those who are actually following these new laws.
    But gun control invariably ends up being more about politics anyway. Just look at all the pork that’ll be associated with future proposals that will have nothing to do with guns. The political opportunity on the back of victims is malfeasance at its worst, but it keeps happening and we remain blind and uninformed.
    Let’s consider a real solution by first trying to identify the cause of tragedy. Most, if not all, of the horrific violence at schools have two things in common - the use of psychotropic drugs and an occurrence in gun-free-safe-zones. Suppressing behavior in one area may tend to create an equal and opposite reaction in another. How, then, do we really treat kids under duress and what caused these conditions in the first place? And gun-free “safe-zones” are a magnet to the deranged where victims are at the mercy of police response time.
    Mental health treatment is an entire discussion in and of itself, but what of our $2 trillion annual health care expense where pennies on the dollar even go to caring about health? Running a physician’s office is mired in red tape as it takes valuable resources away from patients. Morphing that into a medical center creates a bureaucratic fortress nearly impenetrable by those in need. What message does it send when we continually allow politics to supersede the patient?
    We can look at almost every arena of our culture with similar conditions. Like “political correctness”, for example, where we oppress the majority for the irrational whims of a few. We suppress open thought in one area creating a condition worse than the original that didn’t even exist in the first place.
    “Tolerance” is another (that implies that there’s something inferior that needs to be tolerated). What message are we sending when we make “tolerating” a part of our culture? We can even add abortion which is the central theme of the politics of many. Are we sending yet another message that devalues life thereby creating a dangerous tipping point for some? Maybe a non-legislated Culture of Life is what we need now more than anything.
    So we continue to pursue more gun control aimed at those who haven’t done anything wrong. These laws proclaim the moral content of one’s actions to be irrelevant sending a message that character isn’t all that important, that understanding the difference between right and wrong doesn’t matter and that it’s more important to follow orders than to act responsibly.
    Most of us, though, acknowledge our pro-gun status as long as someone else (usually of a government authority) is holding the gun for us. We recognize the need for defense, but feel that a government official possesses a moral judgment superior to that of the citizen. Gun control, then, rejects the character of citizens while embracing the urges of government - exactly what our Constitution is in place to guard against (no part of which allows anyone to misuse firearms or to hurt others).
    And therein lay the answer - to honor the character of citizens. We forget history, embrace defenselessness and go to great lengths to force others to behave as dangerously. The law-abiding gun owner is among the most disciplined, responsible, considerate and non-aggressive among us. We cannot control crime by controlling the law-abiding, but must start by being honest with ourselves in what we’ve created. We must restore our policy in all areas to one of an uncompromising trust and respect of the common citizen.
    I have my thoughts on specifics, but it’s too early for that. There’s too much politics going on, but maybe one day we can put our contrived differences aside in exchange for the unintended consequences of honesty. It may be our only hope.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

2. Remove Ads

Re: My Opinion Piece:

THANK YOU!

This is, by far, the most cogent analysis of the "situation" I have yet seen.

I would hope that it will be published somewhere where the "so much smarter" than us, educated, well read, liberal can read it...

Certainly, you must be an ex-patriot of that side, as you can speak their "lingo" soooooo much better than us "bible and/or gun clinging" rabble.

Huzzah! Sir. My respectful gratitude for.... "Nailing it!"
    Brad426 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    THANK YOU!

This is, by far, the most cogent analysis of the "situation" I have yet seen.

I would hope that it will be published somewhere where the "so much smarter" than us, educated, well read, liberal can read it...

Certainly, you must be an ex-patriot of that side, as you can speak their "lingo" soooooo much better than us "bible and/or gun clinging" rabble.

Huzzah! Sir. My respectful gratitude for.... "Nailing it!"
    Cheek, meet tongue.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Gee, I suddenly have an almost uncontrollable urge to join hands, sing Kumbaya and...throw up.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Excellent! Very well said- preachin to the choir, my friend.

Re: My Opinion Piece:

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Gee, I suddenly have an almost uncontrollable urge to join hands, sing Kumbaya and...throw up.
    Explain... Not anything he said is wrong.

It's the type of hi-brow writing only the liberal leaning, edumicated folk think they can understand...

And, if you slipped it into something they were reading, they'd first agree with it... And then go "what just happened?"
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thank you. It'll likely hit the depresses on Sunday in a moderately large paper in a somewhat libbed out arena. It's not easy being me, but it'll be fun to see all the comments. Thanks again for lessening the blow to my self esteem that'll surely ensue.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

The source of kids killing kids is actually very simple, the lack of parenting in this country. My kids fear the "wrath of dad" if they do something stupid. It includes a belt and a red backside. Most kids today run over their parents and the parents just give them everything they want. I mean, just look at the number of 20-30 year olds who still live off their parents. I know parents paying for kids house payments, car payments, and insurance, and these are kids that are in their mid to late 20s. Give a kid everything they want on top of not giving them any reason to fear doing wrong and you have the type of kid that will be more likely to commit evil because they have never had to deal with recourse.

I was scared to do wrong from an early age because my dad would nail my butt. And I did the same for my kids. None have ever killed anyone, taken a gun to school, or anything else. By in large because they know who they have to deal with if they do. It's like anything else, imprint the fear early in life (which nobody does because "spanking" is "child abuse") and it will stick. Every child I have been around that has parents that give their kids discipline and recourse for wrong doing generally turn out to be good kids. On the other hand, ever seen the brat in wal-mart pitching a fit and mom does nothing? That kid is your future active shooter!

Bottom line, it all boils down to parenting. And you can't (and shouldn't) be allowed to legislate that. So how do you fix the problem? I honestly don't know, but taking away my guns doesn't help.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Links