The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

This is a discussion on The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The tree shakers are working those nut tree hard....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

  1. #31
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,747
    The tree shakers are working those nut tree hard.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array cphilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Actually this is incorrect. You may think you were born with these "rights" but if you had been born just about anywhere else on the planet, you wouldn't have them. The Founding Fathers recognized what they believed to be the natural "rights" that man possessed. They addressed them in a legal framework because they were all too familiar with the fact that those rights could be taken away. They molded the entire structure of our national government with the intent of making clear where the government they created wouldn't be allowed to tread. If you take away the legal right to keep and bear arms, the idea of that right becomes irrelevant.
    No. I disagree. Your born with them. We recognized that. And we then agreed to restate them again in our Constitution. We didn't create them there. Just because some other country or some other government doesn't agree or recognize it or takes them from you, doesn't erase them. Just because someone infringes upon them or denies them doesn't cause them to vanish. They exist. And they then should be fought for.

  4. #33
    VIP Member
    Array TX expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,666
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    No. I disagree. Your born with them. We recognized that. And we then agreed to restate them again in our Constitution. We didn't create them there. Just because some other country or some other government doesn't agree or recognize it or takes them from you, doesn't erase them. Just because someone infringes upon them or denies them doesn't cause them to vanish. They exist. And they then should be fought for.
    I agree they should be fought for.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

    "I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array cphilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,188
    At least we agree on whats important! :)

  6. #35
    Member Array drbald1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    347
    Cphilip, in the original post, the OP did not have paragraph quoted. Reading that paragraph as his own words, it appeared he was in fact endorsing the article.

    On advice, he has since corrected this.

    Mrreynolds, I hope you can see how that would be misrepresented. Sorry!

  7. #36
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Near Hotlanta!!
    Posts
    1,336
    Danny Glover wrote it ... yes Danny Glover I am not kidding.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array yz9890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,073

    The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

    silly man. the second amendment protects hunting. not slavery.
    pittypat21 likes this.

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array 1MoreGoodGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    5,832
    I got better things to do than read that piece of
































    literature.

    What did you think I was going to say?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member


    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

  10. #39
    Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,627
    My signature below states the real purpose, IMHO, without guns our present administration can do as they so choose.
    bigmacque likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

  11. #40
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,706
    I love that founding fathers statement as it always makes me say none of those mainstream men were my father or grandfather, etc that's just reality.
    Well, Jefferson might be.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  12. #41
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    615
    I'm not here to enforce what I believe let people make their own choices based on whatever actual facts exist. I'll tell you what I know back at that time those who were en-slaved had no rights. Once they were technically no longer en-slaved they were not allowed to own arms or even dogs for self defense. I have not yet researched the background of the article but I know that those who did en-slave people had no desire to arm them at any point or time. The en-slaved were the people who were infringed but history won't tell the story that way. I believe the Constitution and Amendments would reflect the era in which they were created and could have been slanted at that time.


  13. #42
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, Jefferson might be.
    I had to laugh at that because that's the damn truth lol.

  14. #43
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,706
    Slavery - as a whole, every aspect of it, and everything about it - was (and is) repugnant, and beyond question the darkest stain on human (not just American, though we certainly were a stellar example of the worst of it) history. I don't think anyone is debating that.

    However, it was not the motivation for everything that happened in the entire country (or even the South) from ol' Chris Columbus to Appomattox Courthouse. It may often be right to apply the critical eye of slavery/racial relations to historical decisions, laws, and events. But there is simply too much history about the 2A that suggests it was NOT about slavery to give that article any credence whatsoever. It is a hit piece, based on the flimsiest of "evidence," and does a disservice to actual examples of prejudice, subjugation, and outright evil.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,601
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    I'm not here to enforce what I believe let people make their own choices based on whatever actual facts exist. I'll tell you what I know back at that time those who were en-slaved had no rights. Once they were technically no longer en-slaved they were not allowed to own arms or even dogs for self defense. I have not yet researched the background of the article but I know that those who did en-slave people had no desire to arm them at any point or time. The en-slaved were the people who were infringed but history won't tell the story that way. I believe the Constitution and Amendments would reflect the era in which they were created and could have been slanted at that time.
    Want to talk History, the Democratic Party controlled the South, they did not want general "gun ownership" by blacks, either free - blacks nor enslaved blacks.... they wanted to be able to keep control and be the only one's in possession of the guns. Plus they did not want blacks to turn on their Masters, freed blacks to serve some retribution, nor trusted free blacks from giving the others guns. However, in the North..... blacks not only could, but did own guns. There were NO laws against it at all.

    Now .... jump ahead , which party still wants to "ban guns" ? And what Party is it who controls DC and Chicago, and bans guns ? Is not DC and Chicago predominately black in terms of population ... and who's keeping them "still" from owning guns ? The Democratic Party . What "party" predominantly controlled all Southern politics ... the Dem's. So, let's keep on track... the founders did consider black men ... "as men"..... and had the same rights as anyone else..... per se. However, the SOUTH did not want that .... and fought against blacks having the vote, owning guns, etc.... and was / is the ancestor of the Democratic Party. In order to get the Constitution there were some gives and takes, but ..... only to get the Constitution passed. The 14th Amendment was to end any further discrimination on voting rights, etc. of blacks.
    However..... blacks always had "VOTING" rights..... only in the South (Dem's) tried to push literacy laws, etc. for people to be able to vote.

    My ancestors .... along 6 family lines have lived in America since the 1680's....... in one family line, they maintained an underground railroad from over 100 years, so please.... .. they were there for 100 + years fighting for the things that ended up being in the Constitution (most of these ideas began being generated in mid-1600's in England) , and fought for 'no discrimination ' of any man. One of my Great -XXXXXXX grandfathers, was shot in the back while trying to stop British soldiers from raping his wife and daughter, and as a result..... word got to the fields, and all of the men armed.... and went to town and ended up killing all of the British Soldiers. It was one of the first battles in the Revolution..... when people had decided, "enough is enough".

    When people try to make our founders look like all bigoted slave owners, they could not be further from the truth. One of them, was one of my ancestors, and several of them thru several generations served in the Continental Congress from 1702 up to and after when the Constitution was done. I have read their personal letters that are still around, writings, etc.

    YOU Sir, are WRONG ... Blacks could 'own' guns..... hate to disappoint you, but there were blacks who also fought in and served in the Continental Army during the Revolution.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Want to talk History, the Democratic Party controlled the South, they did not want general "gun ownership" by blacks, either free - blacks nor enslaved blacks.... they wanted to be able to keep control and be the only one's in possession of the guns. Plus they did not want blacks to turn on their Masters, freed blacks to serve some retribution, nor trusted free blacks from giving the others guns. However, in the North..... blacks not only could, but did own guns. There were NO laws against it at all.

    Now .... jump ahead , which party still wants to "ban guns" ? And what Party is it who controls DC and Chicago, and bans guns ? Is not DC and Chicago predominately black in terms of population ... and who's keeping them "still" from owning guns ? The Democratic Party . What "party" predominantly controlled all Southern politics ... the Dem's. So, let's keep on track... the founders did consider black men ... "as men"..... and had the same rights as anyone else..... per se. However, the SOUTH did not want that .... and fought against blacks having the vote, owning guns, etc.... and was / is the ancestor of the Democratic Party. In order to get the Constitution there were some gives and takes, but ..... only to get the Constitution passed. The 14th Amendment was to end any further discrimination on voting rights, etc. of blacks.
    However..... blacks always had "VOTING" rights..... only in the South (Dem's) tried to push literacy laws, etc. for people to be able to vote.

    My ancestors .... along 6 family lines have lived in America since the 1680's....... in one family line, they maintained an underground railroad from over 100 years, so please.... .. they were there for 100 + years fighting for the things that ended up being in the Constitution (most of these ideas began being generated in mid-1600's in England) , and fought for 'no discrimination ' of any man. One of my Great -XXXXXXX grandfathers, was shot in the back while trying to stop British soldiers from raping his wife and daughter, and as a result..... word got to the fields, and all of the men armed.... and went to town and ended up killing all of the British Soldiers. It was one of the first battles in the Revolution..... when people had decided, "enough is enough".

    When people try to make our founders look like all bigoted slave owners, they could not be further from the truth. One of them, was one of my ancestors, and several of them thru several generations served in the Continental Congress from 1702 up to and after when the Constitution was done. I have read their personal letters that are still around, writings, etc.

    YOU Sir, are WRONG ... Blacks could 'own' guns..... hate to disappoint you, but there were blacks who also fought in and served in the Continental Army during the Revolution.
    I am not wrong I never said that no freed man ever owned a gun I said the freed men I referred to were not allowed. Just because some did does not over ride that in certain places some could not. Every Black man of the era was not allowed to own weapons that's a fact of history watch the documentary I posted.

    Article Link

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

2nd amendment preserve slavery
,
2nd amendment slavery facts
,
2nd amendment was not ratified to preserve slavery
,
did second amendment start with slavery?
,
hartman gun slave
,
ratified second amendment
,
second amendment slavery not
,
second amendment was not ratified slavery
,

second ammendmant was not radified to perserve slavery

,
slavery and the second amendment
,
the second amendment was ratified to preserve slaver
,
was the 2nd amendment written to preserve slavery
Click on a term to search for related topics.