The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

This is a discussion on The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote. Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.
    Article Link
    Last edited by mrreynolds; January 18th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

VIP Member
    So that's going to be the next argument for why the Second Amendment is outdated?

Whomever wrote that needs to go back to school and pay attention to the whole lesson instead of just waking up for a few minutes of the lecture.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

One must look at the entire body of work to determine the actual reason for the 2a. Slavery is not it. This is like saying the civil war was fought over slavery. It wasn't, see states rights.
    pittypat21, AWDeanSr and ccw9mm like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I started to read this and get annoyed...then I read who wrote it. Thom Hartman is a far far far left wing nut that used to spout his wild revisionist history on Air Amerika. He is as nuts as the 911 conspiracists and the freaks that ate ow claiming that Newtown didn't actually happen.
    bigmacque and Rock and Glock like this.

All this talk on gun control. If they really want to get rid of the guns, there is a process for doing that. They could repeal the Second Amendment.

But, since they know that is impossible to do at this time, they seek to infringe on those rights by legislation. Totally improper way of going about it.

They need to either repeal it, or leave it alone.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I couldn't even read it all. It's so ignorant of the actual facts that it'd almost be funny if some dumb libs actually take it up as some rallying cry for their agenda.

If the The Founding Fathers could have traveled through time and seen what we've become, they'd have probably decided to just forget the whole revolution thing, seeing as how royally we've jacked up all their hard work.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote. Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.

Article Link
    If you want to read something relevant; try "The Federalist Papers" and for grins read "The Ant-federalist Papers" as the point-counter point arguments they were. But you probably have no idea what I'm talking about do you????

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    If you want to read something relevant; try "The Federalist Papers" and for grins read "The Ant-federalist Papers" as the point-counter point arguments they were. But you probably have no idea what I'm talking about do you????
    First of all why are you attacking me? I did not right the article, secondly I am also an African American who is also a FFL 01 in New York City. I read everything regardless of who wrote it. If it's true it's true if it's false it's false. I fail to see an issue.

Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.
    You didn't write it, but you endorsed it. If you've got a problem taking heat for taking a stance, a public forum is not the place to post that stance.

Personally, I don't care if you're African American, Native American, Irish American, Samoan American, or Undetermined American. Your genetic racial makeup has nothing to do with the historical accuracy of the article. Why would you even bring it up?
    gasmitty and Spirit51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    We can sit and say this is what it means and everyone can come up with the way they want it to be and I guess I am so simple that all I see is the need to point a finger by the ones who by choice want to show no common sense. The whole problem and I have talked with others that are more educated than I. This is what I said to the question about guns. The gun is not the problem, the car is not the problem or the knife,the can of gas,the table saw, the axe,the car, the skis,snowmobile it is man from the beginning of time when the burning tree limb was picked up and used to take some ones life for there own satisfaction. It for me is this simple its not the tool its the operator and I sent a long letter to my Congressman and told him to share it with others and it was sent to a couple of newspapers. Will it be done I don't know my wife says I put things to simple and nothing will be printed or passed on but I will keep up the calling and letter writing.
    uberrogue likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Holy smokes! We've all been wrong for the last 236.5 years!!
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    You didn't write it, but you endorsed it. If you've got a problem taking heat for taking a stance, a public forum is not the place to post that stance.

Personally, I don't care if you're African American, Native American, Irish American, Samoan American, or Undetermined American. Your genetic racial makeup has nothing to do with the historical accuracy of the article. Why would you even bring it up?
    I didn't endorse anything I posted a link to an article I've posted links to articles about the NY Safe Act 2013 is that an endorsement? Some of you individuals are worse than the anti's when you disagree with something. I brought it up because I could.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post

Article Link
    How is the Tenth Amendment State distinguished from the Second Amendment State?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Who wrote this Obama's brother.....................Geeezzzz.....what BS.

That's just ate up. Furthermore, the rationale he gives just goes to show how important it is keep it alive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links