Why should police be exempt from laws, mag limits? - Page 2

Why should police be exempt from laws, mag limits?

This is a discussion on Why should police be exempt from laws, mag limits? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The LEO's do not make the laws. Aside from the very accurate apples and oranges comment - believe it or not, cops are just guys ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Why should police be exempt from laws, mag limits?

The LEO's do not make the laws. Aside from the very accurate apples and oranges comment - believe it or not, cops are just guys doing their middle class job. If the legislative branch of government takes something away from me, I wouldn't insist that they take something away from my friend too.
    Hopyard and Secret Spuk like this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    One more and Im out of this one. Its very simple. LE and government officals should have to live under the laws they impose on the rest of us. If that were the case there would not be so many nanny state ignorant and utterly senseless laws concerning a host of issues.
    If by that you mean that there should be fire-power parity between the police and the rest of us, let me ask you a simple question? Who in their right mind would take that job under such circumstances?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    OK. Everybody gets to have all the guns, ammo, and high cap mags they desire except the law abiding citizens who are gun owners. Makes sense to me. What's next? I know, let's change the name of this country to " The United States of The Oppressed". Our flag can have a sheep on it and a guy with a crown. Pardon me, I have to go take my meds now.
    SigPapa226 and B94 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    OK. Everybody gets to have all the guns, ammo, and high cap mags they desire except the law abiding citizens who are gun owners. Makes sense to me. What's next? I know, let's change the name of this country to " The United States of The Oppressed". Our flag can have a sheep on it and a guy with a crown. Pardon me, I have to go take my meds now.
    That argument is fantasy world bull corn. Its popular but it isn't right.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

IMO...on duty LEOs should have access to "evil guns." However, as soon as the shift ends, ordinary laws should apply. If NY insists on keeping the moronic 7 round law, then the "high-cap" mags should be stored at the station and they should have access at home to the same mags that regular citizens do. Same should go for the politicians who carve out exemptions in the law for themselves, retirees etc. It needs to be a level playing field. Maybe if the law applied unilaterally to all citizens then we wouldn't have so many outrageous ban proposals being thrown around.
    91wm6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If by that you mean that there should be fire-power parity between the police and the rest of us, let me ask you a simple question? Who in their right mind would take that job under such circumstances?
    What are you talking about? They work under those circumstances now. The criminals are armed to the teeth. Every time a cop gets out of his car at a traffic stop, he has to be ready for anything.

You live in Texas, right? Those mules and narcotráficos have got real assault weapons. If they make it past Border Patrol, then they're our problem. 'Our' meaning LEO and us.

Remember the LA bank robbers? They were better armed, and armored, than the police.

What should an officer care if I carry the same pistol as him? Or the same AR15 in my trunk as him? The crackpots that do him harm already have these things in their possession.

Here in AZ we do not have to inform if we're carrying. We don't have to have a permit to carry. None of the LEOs in our state have anything to worry about from law abiding citizens. It's the criminals they have to watch out for, and they could have any hardware on them at any time, despite the law.
    CCCRich and B94 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RT
    You'll likely not agree with me Sixto, but it is also worth repeating when we discuss issues such as high cap.

I want my friends and neighbors who are in law enforcement to have the deck loaded in their favor. I don't want a citizen's arms race with the police, and that is what we have now to some degree.
    Anyone see this?
    Photo of JC Penney shopper with rifle strapped to back, strikes a nerve
    Photo of JC Penney shopper with rifle strapped to back, strikes a nerve | Watch the video - Yahoo! News

What if the guy in this story was a nut instead of a demonstrator? I don't want you guys having to deal with
    that. I don't want more of what has happened when folks decked out like that aren't mentally there, and
    I certainly don't think his stunt is helping any of the responsible gun owners in this country.
    Neither are comments
    such as in post 5 which seek to make a case by comparing things that aren't comparable.

A few more demonstrations like this and you better believe that 2A or not, your legislators and The Supremes will take them away. And no kidding, folks who resist won't be successful no matter how many officers post here that they won't obey this or that order.

Let's get smart about protecting our rights.

I swear, we are our own worst enemy when it comes to making a case for ourselves; at least that dude at Penny's is.

Sorry if this rant is a thread hijack, its not intended that way. Just trying to emphasize that I want you guys to have
    a chance. We owe you that.
    I'm going to assume you carry based on you being a member here. Going by your logic concerning the man in Utah who carried his rifle into JC Penney, perhaps you should no longer carry a firearm. After all, we can't be totally sure that you aren't a nut, and I don't want our LEOs to have to deal with that.
    chuckusaret, 91wm6 and phreddy like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Do you go looking for criminals for a living? If not don't compare yourself with working officers.
    Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    You must live in a different America than I do. When do municipal road/traffic patrols just go looking for criminals? If they do, it is with a warrant and back up. In a traffic stop if they do find a person with an outstanding warrant they do nothing and call for back up before attempting an arrest. In my town all traffic stops are with a back up. If, as you state, go looking for criminals they know who they are looking for based on a warrant. On the street civilians are more at risk than a LEO, not often is LEO mugged.

I admit cops have a dangerous job, but should be prepared for the unexpected, but common sense says if they need high capacity magazines why does not the lawful gun owner, we are protecting ourselves against the same criminals as are the police.

I have negotiated many police contracts for my town and never has a union rep used any such term "looking for criminals" during the negotiations for better equipment or pay, and the unions use some good ones. Like the shoe allowance.......
    msgt/ret and 91wm6 like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I said I was out but since you asked me directly Ill reply Hop. Lets be realistic instead of living in some perfect world for a moment.
    Violent Criminals as often as not out gun individual LEO daily. Because criminals do not obey regulations, possessing full auto weapons etc if they want to and regs be darned.
    You and I, presumably not criminals are not the LEOs problem. Violent criminals that will arm themselves with whatever they wish are.

We are not the problem for LEO, but may have to deal with the same problem alone without the benefit of an army of back up.

Parity of firepower between police and citizens is not the problem for leo. Parity of firepower between bad guys and police has nothing to with regulation because BGs wont pay any attention to regs. The rock solid downfall of all firearm regulations end of story.

As to security for Government officals I dont begrudge elected officials their security details armed with whatever they need as they have to deal with directed attacks by possibly foreign agents armed to the teeth.
    Individually however if say Diane Frankinstien wants to limit me to 5 rounds of bbs in a blow gun then that is all she should be able to carry as an individual. She does after all have the heavily armed security detail to protect her while I have the bbs and soda straw.
    zacii and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm going to assume you carry based on you being a member here. Going by your logic concerning the man in Utah who carried his rifle into JC Penney, perhaps you should no longer carry a firearm. After all, we can't be totally sure that you aren't a nut, and I don't want our LEOs to have to deal with that.
    I conceal carry. I'm not getting up in folks faces the way that man in Penny's did. Sure, they say he actually called
    the police before going there so they would know he was OK. Uh, and be off their guard? That's what a smart psycho
    or ordinary criminal would do. No respect and no dignity.

Whether you or anyone on here wants to believe it, the fact is most folks do not carry, don't want to carry, and are terribly
    put off or frightened by people who appear as that man did. His actions don't benefit anything but his ego.
    highvoltage likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

The hypocritical-ness that cracks me up the most:

"No one but the police and military need a gun designed to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time"

Huh? The job of police isn't to kill a lot of people. It's not even to kill any people. Their job is to investigate crimes, and to a lesser extent, preserve life by taking it if necessary. A cop doesn't need to 'kill a lot of people fast'... the likelihood that they will ever be involved with a firefight of just 2 people itself are very remote.
    nedrgr21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    IMHO, This entire gun control charade is designed to take the guns out of the hands of anyone who is a potential political enemy of the present administration. There won't be any concerted effort to take guns/ high capacity magazines from law enforcement or the bureaucrats armed bodyguards. NY will simply amend the just passed law to exempt all law enforcement from the ban. The gangs will continue to be as well armed as ever. This is all about disarming the masses who are presently a threat to the present administrations agenda of "Change".
    oldnfat likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

RT
    I am working on getting into law enforcement, and I have zero issues with a fire-power parity existing between the police and the general public. Why is that? If restrictions are placed on what and how much the general public can carry, the only people those restrictions will affect are the same people the police do not generally have to worry about..... law abiding citizens. Criminals, the people the police DO have to worry about, are not affected by those restrictions, and because they do not respect or abide by the law, they always will be on par with the police in terms of firepower if they so choose, regardless of any laws enacted. Nothing is changed by enacting new gun control laws except for making it harder on those that obey the law.
    Ghost1958, CCCRich and B94 like this.

IMHO, This entire gun control charade is designed to take the guns out of the hands of anyone who is a potential political enemy of the present administration. There won't be any concerted effort to take guns/ high capacity magazines from law enforcement or the bureaucrats armed bodyguards. NY will simply amend the just passed law to exempt all law enforcement from the ban. The gangs will continue to be as well armed as ever. This is all about disarming the masses who are presently a threat to the present administrations agenda of "Change".
    I've tried for so long to convince myself otherwise...but I can't argue logically with your point. Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it. Simply put, bans of any type do not work. Prohibition, drugs, prostitution, et al. It only drives the market underground. I find it hard to believe that so many college educated politicians can't see the trend. The street gangs laugh at these laws. They will continue to get their guns...same way they get their drugs. They will find a way, just like Al Capone and prohibition gangsters did.
    oldnfat and B94 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Domr View Post
    IMO...on duty LEOs should have access to "evil guns." However, as soon as the shift ends, ordinary laws should apply. If NY insists on keeping the moronic 7 round law, then the "high-cap" mags should be stored at the station and they should have access at home to the same mags that regular citizens do. Same should go for the politicians who carve out exemptions in the law for themselves, retirees etc. It needs to be a level playing field. Maybe if the law applied unilaterally to all citizens then we wouldn't have so many outrageous ban proposals being thrown around.
    1) I could agree to what you wrote in the first part of your post regarding on and off duty weaponry, but it isn't that simple.
    Some take the job home with them, or have had direct threats from BGs and their accomplices. In some places they
    don't really distinguish between on and off duty; and the car goes home at the end of the shift too.

2) With regard to that politicians shouldn't be any different from anyone
    else; maybe some judges could have handled cases which would indicate need, but except for the highest officials there
    is no need for them to get special treatment. Here, our concealed carry law was implemented in part due to an incident in
    which a state legislator was threatened and he then discovered he could not carry (maybe when he was arrested, I don't recall the details). People focus on the horrid restaurant incident, but it was the legislator's troubles that brought things to a head.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links