Magazine Limits Concerning

This is a discussion on Magazine Limits Concerning within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Specifically, Pistol Magazine Limits are very concerning to me. I've read that this is one element of the proposed infringements that the liberals believe they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Magazine Limits Concerning

Magazine Limits Concerning

Specifically, Pistol Magazine Limits are very concerning to me. I've read that this is one element of the proposed infringements that the liberals believe they stand a good chance in getting Republican and pro2A Democrats support. This is because they are selling it as not taking our guns or infringing our rights to defend ourselves.

This is a major issue of concern for me. How do they know how many rounds I need to defend myself? A home invasion with 4 armed criminals and 10 rounds doesn't seem like a lot. The other issues are there's no guarantee they would grandfather in pre-ban capacity magazines or allow us to continue using them.

The other concern is that of "Incrementalism." As we just saw in New York, they just shifted from their previous arbitrary limit of 10 to 7 rounds. Are they next going to say you can't own any more than 1 magazine? So once they have established that limiting capacity is not an infringement, they can change the number to anything they want. So, why not then change it to 5 later. Then 2. Then 1. How about NONE. You can have your "arms" as the 2A says, you just can't have any ammo.

Don't get me wrong, I take issue with all of the proposals. This particular one, though, is the one that concerns me as the most likely to get support for and the most likely to lead us down the road of more restrictions on future capacity limits.

We need to continue to write and call our legislators and demand that they NOT compromise when it comes to further restrictions. This is when the real fight truly begins.
    darbo, zacii, TX expat and 3 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

So, here is my issue.

Lets say they start pushing for 7 round magazines everywhere for pistols.

Have you ever seen a 7 round magazine for a Glock 19? M&P 9? Sig 226? or any other double stack pistol?

for most double stacks, 10 is the smallest capacity available. So, effectively, they are stopping people from having or buying a new defensive sidearm. Why buy a gun if there isn't a magazine you can use in it?

Aside from the fact that I have yet to have a single person who has ever been in a gunfight (let alone several) tell me that 7 rounds seems adequate for every defensive situation.
    Clodbert, BugDude and zacii like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I heard an ex gang member speak of this today on the radio. He thought it was so funny. He said, were not stupid, we don't go to the gun store and buy a gun and register it, we get our stuff on the black market from other criminals. All these dumb laws , we laugh at. Same thing we have been trying to tell these idiots all along. All they have succeeded in doing is putting more merchandise on the black market for the BGs to get.
    SpringerXD and BugDude like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Devil's advocate:
    You can use the same argument you use to oppose it... 'It takes less than 1 second to change a magazine, it doesn't matter'.

The 1911, XD-S, Kahr's, etc, etc, etc, are all popular carry guns, they manage, and so did police officers carrying revolvers for decades.

There are advantages too, such as less weight.

Trying to be optimistic... please don't mistake my post for being in favor of any bans whatsoever, because I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Devil's advocate:
    You can use the same argument you use to oppose it... 'It takes less than 1 second to change a magazine, it doesn't matter'.

The 1911, XD-S, Kahr's, etc, etc, etc, are all popular carry guns, they manage, and so did police officers carrying revolvers for decades.

Trying to be optimistic... please don't mistake my post for being in favor of any bans whatsoever, because I am not.
    That being the case, then you have gained nothing in restricting it. The only person this gives an advantage to is the one in a gun-free zone on a shooting spree. When a criminal is in a gun free zone and not facing return fire, he can re-load as many times as he likes and doesn't have to be in a hurry. When a law-abiding victim is obeying the law and is defending himself against a gangbanger that has a 15 round Glock, you have placed the tax paying citizen at a distinct disadvantage in having to reload under fire.

Do you know why the police went away from revolvers? Because the CRIMINALS went away from them to high capacity autos. Guess what...the criminals won't be giving up their 15 round magazines. And the demand (i.e. value) of them on the black market would sky rocket. Create a niche and criminals will get rich filling it.
    zacii likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't think it is really about restricting the number of rounds, but more about choking off 90%+ of the handgun selection in the gunstores. How many weapons are currently made that meet the requirements? I don't know, but I'll bet it isn't manyand i wonder if manufacturers will bother to tool up for making compliant magazines just for one state.

BTW I agree with BugDude, if 4 or 5 guys invade my home, how many rounds do I need? Answer: LOTS! - A 30 round mag seems to be the absolute minimum!

IMO (which is worth what you paid for it) new laws if any pass on a national level will be just one of many small steps to a total ban, some day. I'm willing to bet that there is some company or individual attempting to wade through NY's new law and design mags that will fit double stack pistols and only hold 7 rounds. Some company will fill the need.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Devil's advocate:

It takes a lot more time to change a mag when holding back your attacker from stabbing you.

It takes a lot more time to change a mag when holding direct pressure on a loved ones wound with your off hand.

It takes a lot more time to change a mag when one of your arms is injured.

I think it would be better to just start the fight with more ammo on board.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Restricting magazine capacity is an unconstitutional infringement. However, it apparently makes people feel that something is being done to 'reduce gun violence'.

We need to fight this battle on more than 1 front. Amongst ourselves, we discuss ideas in the realm of facts, rationality, logic, common sense, history, constitutionality, et cetera.

In this particular era, making people feel good is what leads to political success. The majority of the population just wants to feel good. This is why gun control is a useful political issue. Guns are soooo easy to villify. Then we can all feel good when Obama saves us from the evil guns.

'Feel good' is the front that we need to be fighting on. Facts, logic, constitution, etc. are all on our side, but that isn't helping right now. We have a majority of people who want to tune out and get warm and fuzzy.

Administrator
    I don't think that will make it through the House but, don't stop writing and making phone calls.
    It's not over until the fat lady sings.
    BugDude likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lets start watching the crime rate in NY. This should be interesting.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member
    I'm with you, bugdude. I am completly against any AWB or making any semi-auto rifles or handguns illegal but this magazine capacity thing is what worries and bothers me the most.

The whoe "how many rounds" debate is a slippery slope and like we've now seen in NY, we don't know where it'll stop. I will continue to email + fax my representatives, and show up on the steps of our capitol buildings today!
    BugDude likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Every one of these new pieces of legislation, Executive Orders, and gun control "solutions" make me want to vomit, but the magazine restriction is especially infuriating. Just as another poster said, these numbers are arbitrary. Why ten rounds? Why seven? What will that solve? If you're going to feed us this manure about how gun control is for our safety then at least attempt to explain how reducing magazine capacity benefits anyone. Is there any data, anything at all, supporting that?

And yes it does all but neutralize many of the popular pistols already in production. That's the aim, I think: to slowly but surely make existing pistols useless with magazine restrictions and other ludicrous new laws as well as disrupt the firearms industry itself by forcing them to alter their products and by removing a good chunk of their market. It's not for our safety. I can't believe the audacity of these people to insinuate that these ridiculous proposed constraints will keep us safe. Oh and good morning.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    What puzzles me about this NY magazine restriction done under the guise of "public safety", is that they say you have one year to sell them "out of state" or turn them in. Am I wrong ,or do I see a contradiction here.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I think NY is betting that there will be a national ban on >10 round mags and that there will be no out of state market for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links