More anti-gun bills go down in the Virginia session...

This is a discussion on More anti-gun bills go down in the Virginia session... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today was a good but not a perfect 100% day in the Virginia Senate. [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveH
  • 1 Post By SigPapa226

Thread: More anti-gun bills go down in the Virginia session...

VIP Member

More anti-gun bills go down in the Virginia session...

Today was a good but not a perfect 100% day in the Virginia Senate.

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

The Senate Courts of Justice committee this morning killed or neutralized all but one anti-gun bill.

The one bad bill that passed out of committee initially, did so because Senator Edwards was away from the General Assembly due to weather and normally pro-gun Senator Stanley voted to support the bill. :-(

Senator Marsh's "gun show loophole" bill was heavily modified and ended up requiring that only gun dealers could sell guns at a gun show.

After the meeting Senator Stanley indicated that he had misunderstood the full ramifications of the modified bill. The committee reconvened on the Floor of the Senate later in the day and Senator Stanley changed his vote.

I heard that an idea was floated by another gun organization that a person wishing to purchase gun at a gun show could only do so after going to some special table, getting a background check done and then present the receipt from a successful background check to any dealer or private seller at the show. Only people with the successful background check receipt would be able to purchase firearms at a gunshow. We oppose any such mandatory scheme for private sales and will fight against such a bill.

For now the bill is dead, but it is possible that it could be resurrected on Monday with more changes, including the new anti-gun, mandatory background check provision floated by another gun organization.

Senator Norment, who voted correctly on the other anti-gun bills, for some reason joined anti-gun Senators Saslaw, Puller, Howell, McEachin, Marsh, and Lucus to vote in support Senator McEachin's SB 1148, a ban on magazines that will hold more than 10 rounds. However, that bill was defeated, even with Norment's bad vote.

BILLS THAT WERE KILLED

SB 785, Marsden, as originally introduce, would make someone civilly liable if a gun is tken and not "adequately secured."

SB 1281, Deeds, universal background checks

SB 1136/SB 1232, McEachin/Ebbin, universal background check

SB 1012, Ebbin, prohibits guns in the General Assembly except for legislators and police

SB 1148, McEachin, bans magazines that hold more than 10 rounds

SB 1228, Saslaw, repeals firearms preemption

BILLS THAT ARE DEAD, BUT COULD BE BROUGHT UP AGAIN ON MONDAY

SB 1001, Marsh, "gun show loophole" bill, modified to make it so that only dealers can sell guns at a gun show.

PASSED BILLS THAT EITHER WERE ACCEPTABLE, OR WERE MADE ACCEPTABLE, TO VCDL

SB 786, Marsden, makes someone criminally liable if they don't report a stolen gun in 72 hours - changed to just saying that stolen guns are to be entered into the National Criminal Information Network (NCIC).

SB 864, Favola, forbids physics possession of a gun in the house of the person granted an emergency protective order. It also prohibits transporting any firearms. Bill was modified to 1) prohibit *physical* possession and 2) the individual must be served with the emergency protective order (and thus knows it exists).

SB 1109, Ebbin, makes knowingly selling to someone who is disqualified from owning a gun because of mental illness a crime (like selling knowingly to a felon).
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

God Bless the VCDL !!!

Don't cheer until its over. Things could change again on Monday.

Its not over till the fat lady sings & she aint sung yet.
    DaveH likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Don't cheer until its over. Things could change again on Monday.

Its not over till the fat lady sings & she aint sung yet.
    Yup!

However, I might posit that it never over, as long as we keep the faith -- because fat lady never actually sings in politics, as long as it is skirmishes and battles and as long as one of the opposing sides does not abandon its mission and the war.

As a personal observation / opinion, I think the main thing we have going for the pro-freedom side, in Virginia, (at this point) is that 2013 is an important election year for Virginia. The leadership of both parties are pulling out all the parliamentary tricks to keep their members in the various close / un-assured / at-risk districts from having to go on record about what will likely be a divisive issue in the elections. IMHO, this year it is mostly about protecting their numbers in the House of Delegates. On odd numbered years,
    all 100 seats in the House of Delegates are up for grabs, for two-year terms. Not much controversial / device tends to get a floor vote in odd number years.

In addition, this year we will elect
    three statewide offices (Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General – for four-year terms); ; and four local constitutional officers each in the independent cities in the state – Sheriff, Commonwealth's Attorney, Treasurer, Commissioner of the Revenue – for four-year terms.

Last edited by DaveH; January 19th, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added "in Virginia" 2nd P 2st S
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I see actions being brought up .. and pushed by the Natl Dem Party ... on local levels too. So, this seems to be a concerted effort to hit all levels of Govt (just as they said, city / state/ federal) with as much junk as they can ..... figuring it would take too much to stop all of them and too many court cases to fight them all. However, I think they over-estimate themselves, and under-estimate the rest of America..
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member

A tad behind the curve, but....

Va. panel's approval of gun show bill short-lived | The News Leader | newsleader.com

Snip

Gun control advocate Lori Haas, whose daughter Emily was wounded in the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings, watched from the Senate gallery as the committee changed course.“I feel like I hit the banana peel but haven’t quite hit the ground,” Haas said.

She said she believed Stanley’s concerns were genuine but added that “the other side of this issue is trying desperately to unravel” a possible compromise.

Snip
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Keeping watch on this session. Hopeful that common sense wins out over foolish emotional whims.

Links