Massachusetts Proposal (Off the Charts Nuts)

This is a discussion on Massachusetts Proposal (Off the Charts Nuts) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Linsky Files Gun Violence Legislation - Natick, MA Patch Provisions in the bill include: Having one standard of the issuance of all gun licenses, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Massachusetts Proposal (Off the Charts Nuts)

Massachusetts Proposal (Off the Charts Nuts)

Linsky Files Gun Violence Legislation - Natick, MA Patch

Provisions in the bill include:

Having one standard of the issuance of all gun licenses, giving local police chiefs the ability to evaluate all aspects of an application for a gun license.

Requires proof of liability insurance for possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun.

Requires that all large capacity weapons and grandfathered assault weapons must be stored at gun clubs or target ranges.

Requires live shooting as part of the curriculum for a basic firearms safety course; this is not a current requirement.

Requires all applicants for gun licenses and FID cards to sign a waiver of mental health records for review to be destroyed after decision.

Imposes 25% sales tax on ammunition, firearms, shotguns, and rifles; dedicates funds towards firearms licensing, police training, mental health services, and victim’s services.

Brings Massachusetts into compliance with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

Limits gun buyers to one firearm purchase per month.
    Last edited by BuckNekkid; January 18th, 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added Bolding

2. Remove Ads

Thats why I moved to NH. Its been pretty bad there for a long time. But now it's like these states are competing for the blue ribbon in ridiculousness.
    sniper58 and Spirit51 like this.

Just another reason why I left MA and have never gone back....
    TX expat likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

No words. Just disbelief. If the residents of MA allow this, my goodness we're all in for a hell of a ride. If this wildfire keeps up spreading through states where will guns be legal? Texas? Maybe Wyoming and Montana?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have had several job offers to work in New England. I just laugh.
    TX expat likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member
    So how many break-ins are we predicting for those gun ranges where large caches of weapons will be stored?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Why didn't he go ahead and ask to hire magic fairies to monitor every weapon owner and report any angry thoughts.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

So how many break-ins are we predicting for those gun ranges where large caches of weapons will be stored?
    Don't you get it...it's a job stimulus package! There will need to be thousands of armed guards to watch over these caches of weapons. Oh wait...I bet armed guards are illegal too? Carry on criminals

I seriously think the proposers of these laws need to undergo the same mental screening that they suggest implementing.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I have had several job offers to work in New England. I just laugh.
    New England?...Vermont and New Hampshire are 2 of the most gun friendly states in country. Maine is up there
    too. I would say Rhode Island and Mass are the only tough states. And those states politics' are controlled by Boston and Providence, while the rest of those states are hunting country.
    myrkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNekkid View Post
    Linsky Files Gun Violence Legislation - Natick, MA Patch

Provisions in the bill include:

Having one standard of the issuance of all gun licenses, giving local police chiefs the ability to evaluate all aspects of an application for a gun license.

Requires proof of liability insurance for possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun.

Requires that all large capacity weapons and grandfathered assault weapons must be stored at gun clubs or target ranges.

Requires live shooting as part of the curriculum for a basic firearms safety course; this is not a current requirement.

Requires all applicants for gun licenses and FID cards to sign a waiver of mental health records for review to be destroyed after decision.

Imposes 25% sales tax on ammunition, firearms, shotguns, and rifles; dedicates funds towards firearms licensing, police training, mental health services, and victim’s services.

Brings Massachusetts into compliance with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

So let's apply some comparable rules to the exercise of one other freedom guaranteed by the Bill of Rights:

- have one standard for what news is fit to print
    - show proof of insurance against claims of libel
    - keep PCs, tablets, smart phones and similar devices locked up in libraries
    - require proof of competence with the written word before granting a license to publish (this is not a current requirement, we see proof every day!)
    - impose a 25% tax on sales of paper, ink, writing utensils, printer cartridges and internet access
    - limit editors and columnists to one article published, broadcast or televised per month

Hard to believe that Lexington and Concord, the original Tea Party, Paul Revere and Breed's Hill were all in Massachusetts. What a sorry state of affairs, and what a moving example of what single-party rule can do.
    sdprof, Spirit51, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I love Smitty's list of 'comparable rules.' Right on! If you could get people to really wrap their brains around that, it sure would help them see what they are asking proponents of the Second to give up!

Unfortunately, my brother and his wife live in Mass. and I think we will obliged to visit them there from time to time. But, at least they usually come back to MI for holidays and such. Shame about NY, too. I love the Adirondacks and usually have a great time in Manhattan. Oh, well.

This is one of the reasons why I live in Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Why didn't he go ahead and ask to hire magic fairies to monitor every weapon owner and report any angry thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    So let's apply some comparable rules to the exercise of one other freedom guaranteed by the Bill of Rights:

- have one standard for what news is fit to print
    - show proof of insurance against claims of libel
    - keep PCs, tablets, smart phones and similar devices locked up in libraries
    - require proof of competence with the written word before granting a license to publish (this is not a current requirement, we see proof every day!)
    - impose a 25% tax on sales of paper, ink, writing utensils, printer cartridges and internet access
    - limit editors and columnists to one article published, broadcast or televised per month
    And the survey says....DING!

But we're not talking about the first amendment. It has not killed anyone, especially 20 children in one day in one school.
    They won't see the light until they [Govt] start coming after something they have. Even the ones who advocate completely getting rid of the COTUS and BoR don't get the fact that the 1st, 4th and 5th are a pretty big part of their current right to gripe about the 2nd.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Massachusetts state motto: By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.

Pathetic, that MA citizens have allowed their state to become so corrupted from the original.

Pathetic, that we all have allowed to come to pass what we see all around us.

Time to stand for what's right and just, against these tyrants and moral eviscerators.

100% forfeiture of all assets in the case of conviction would solve that, on a person-by-person basis, without penalizing upstanding citizens for the actions of a few. Funding-wise.

But then, assuming they get convicted and serve the terms of their sentences, criminals are already held liable.

Creating "deep pockets" that upstanding citizens have to pay for serves only to sidestep the cause of such problems. Taxation by any other name.

Proposed: that there should be proof of liability insurance on file for anyone daring to own or speak in front of a microphone, or wield a pen, or write an article to be read by others, or post a story/opinion piece to a media organization, or ... Call it a "muzzle tax."

Which will provide incentive to criminals to begin targeting burglaries/robberies of such club/range caches.

IMO, this makes a lot of sense, if a given state is in fact going to require some measure of competency training for folks.

But then, the 2A doesn't say anything about arms-only-if-proves-competent. It's just as anti-2A to have this requirement as anything else, it seems to me, essentially turning a "right" into a "permit" (only if approved by the state). That simply can't be Constitutional.

If covering the costs of victimization were the goal, the focus would be on covering the costs of such things from confiscation/forfeiture of the criminals and erasure of the criminals from our midst. Not charging fees to everyone OTHER THAN the criminals based on some farcical claim that such people are contributing to crimes/violence.

If covering the failed/blown budgets of police departments in cities that can't fund them properly is the goal, then call it a tax and raise it on everyone accordingly.

If burned-eyeballs-via-cigarettes were a problem, taxing folks buying cigarettes wouldn't stop the criminals using cigarettes to burn people's eyeballs. At best, it would simply dare suggest citizens pay for crimes against them. That'll never, ever make sense.

Oh, that'll help straw purchasers who funnel huge numbers of guns to others. And it'll keep folks out of the gun collecting hobby. And it'll thwart the family that wants to acquire a couple of guns for family use. But it won't stop the criminal who's bent on being criminal, harming others, irrespective of how many weapons that criminal opts to use for a given crime.

Hm, on second thought, perhaps these proposals don't make much sense. On third thought, perhaps they're downright looney in conception. Pointless and vindictive, addressing fringes of symptoms instead of anything near the causes of the problem: criminality, criminals and their ability to remain in our midst.

The proposers (poseurs) in MA and elsewhere need to revisit the Constitution and its purpose: The Founders' Constitution -- preamble, articles, supporting documents and arguments.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 19th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links