Interesting factoids to use in "discussions"

This is a discussion on Interesting factoids to use in "discussions" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems like the antis use all manner of statistics (some imaginary, some "spun", some cherry-picked, very few real) to support their arguments for "gun ...

Thread: Interesting factoids to use in "discussions"

Interesting factoids to use in "discussions"

It seems like the antis use all manner of statistics (some imaginary, some "spun", some cherry-picked, very few real) to support their arguments for "gun control", which ACTUALLY runs the slippery slope to gun confiscation.

I was curious what the odds were for different types of "bad things" happening to an imaginary "typical person", so I did some checking with insurance actuarial tables, and here's what I found:

Let's say we have a town of 620 homes, with a total population of 3072 people.

the odds of having a house fire are: 1 in 310 per year. So in an imaginary town of 620 houses, two will be involved in a fire each year. Pretty good odds for homeowners, meaning that you'll probably never have to use your fire extinguisher or fire insurance. I'd still want the fire department to be active, just in case my home was one of the two for that year.

the odds of being the victim of a violent crime (if you're over 12 years old) are: 1 in 48 per year. So in our imaginary town, 64 people will be victims each year. This can be anything from minor cuts & bruises, to broken bones, to much more serious hospitalization, internal injuries, brain damage, etc. This does NOT include your odds of actually being murdered; there is much less chance of that happening: 1 in 18,600.

So, overall there's much more of a chance of any individual "typical person" being a victim of a violent crime, than of their home catching fire. However, people who live in houses (owning or renting) typically take precautions against a fire starting/spreading: smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, fire insurance, etc. Even anti-gun types do this...so why is it so much more difficult for them to understand why we want to be prepared for a violent confrontation, with the most effective weapon we can use, since there is a greater chance of that happening?

Just something to think about...

Oh, by the way, these days the chance that you will be a victim of a property crime are: 1 in 7!

2. Remove Ads

There you go again, trying to inject facts into what is totally, truly, completely an emotionally based issue.

True hoplophobia can sometimes be overcome by patient education. Rabid gun grabbing is untreatable. Logic has no place here.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Don't you love all the 'news' on TV that says a poll says something stupid. I notice that they never cite the name of the poll, the polling methodology, or exactly HOW the question was asked?

I took a poll and 100% of the people were in favor of owning guns, hand grenades, and anti-tank weapons. Just don't ask any questions, "trust me".

I think what we have to remember is that we are not dealing with fact or rational discussion on this subject. We are dealing with a very well coordinated and powerful propaganda machine being controlled deep within the progressive left movement.

Links