NY's Magazine ban unconstitutional? - Page 2

NY's Magazine ban unconstitutional?

This is a discussion on NY's Magazine ban unconstitutional? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If the law doesn't get shot down soon, I would anticipate guns such as the G36, S&W Shield, PT709, and other single stack semis with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: NY's Magazine ban unconstitutional?

If the law doesn't get shot down soon, I would anticipate guns such as the G36, S&W Shield, PT709, and other single stack semis with 7 or less mag capacity getting very popular in NY.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Yep, all those gang bangers are going to modify their magazines so they will meet the spirit of the law.
    sdprof and msgt/ret like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

So does the new absurdity in Noo Yawk ban the M-1 Garand or limit it to 7 rounds, or does it get by because it doesn't have a detachable magazine?

And what about tubular mags on rimfires and centerfires like some lever guns?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Illegal or unconstitutional sense when did it madder to to The current democratic party? They have nothing to lose if it gets before a liberal judge it won't madder . They can tie it up in court for years anyway. And if but some slim chance it gets thrown out, they will just pass it again and start it all over.
    This is not about weapons it is about doing away with the Constitution a power grab. look beyond the the smoke.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    See the good thing about the courts ruling a law like this to be unconstitutional for NY will also make it super hard for the federal govt to pass a law like this nationally... God we can only hope that the court will side with the Constitution in the case of New York.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I would anticipate companies coming out with a plastic plug that goes in next to the base plate that goes up into the existing 10 round magazines effectively converting it to only 7 rounds. This would be simple, easy, fast, and inexpensive to ship. They could use their existing mags and springs. It would also be easy to convert back when the existing law is overturned.

Heck, with a piece of balsa wood and a pocket knife, you could whittle one out in a few minutes.
    You don't need to plug a 10-round mag to only hold 7-rounds. You only need to load it with 7-rounds or less.

You can keep any 10-round or less mags you bought before the law went into effect.

But if you have any mags that house more then 10-rounds. It is what, written that you have one-year to get rid off them?

Ruger has posted a response to this new N.Y. Law issue on their website.

7-round limit mags

See the good thing about the courts ruling a law like this to be unconstitutional for NY will also make it super hard for the federal govt to pass a law like this nationally... God we can only hope that the court will side with the Constitution in the case of New York.
    Yup, the nation's eyes are on NY. This is a significant case for anyone in a borderline state. Depending on how this plays out, this will be a milestone 2nd amendment case. If the law is upheld, it will be open season in liberal states. God bless those states vowing resistance!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    One unknown in this is how quickly will manufacturers start mkaing 7 round magazines or will they make them at all?
    The magazine makers should post a notice on their websites, something like this:

"We cannot and will not ship to the State of New York. Rather than re-tool to accomodate the whims of certain stupid politicians, wouldn't it be easier to just vote them out and elect people who will overturn the insanity?"

Yes, I know that business is business, blah blah blah. But at some point, level heads need to prevail.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    No doubt that the law suits against the NY law are being drafted and will hit the courts very very soon....Not to worry in NY...this law will not stand.........carry on.....

Cuomo is an ego maniac liberal dictator
    I hope justice prevails and this new BS law is deemed
    un constitutional

Will full, intentional infringement.

I doubt the manufacturers will rise to the bait of manufacturing 7 round magazines. Another anti gun state will pass a statue that is 6 rounds, and another at 8 rounds. The number of rounds is not arbitrary it is planned.

The New York State statue will be challenged in court but that is a slow process.

If arms manufacturers started sending letters to their LEO agency customers in those states discussing closing their accounts I think the pressure to rethink the statue would be intense.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    The magazine makers should post a notice on their websites, something like this:

"We cannot and will not ship to the State of New York. Rather than re-tool to accomodate the whims of certain stupid politicians, wouldn't it be easier to just vote them out and elect people who will overturn the insanity?"

Yes, I know that business is business, blah blah blah. But at some point, level heads need to prevail.
    Problem with that is why take it out on us the little guys. We are the ones who are suffering already. Just the fact that these USDA-Prime Grade rump-roast elected officials whom support such goofiness should be cause for them to become Lame Duck's next time around....

Listening to Yogi Berra talk in this snip is like listening to Gov Andrew Cuomo talk about gun control

"...shall not be infringed." That about says it all for me.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

KUDOS TO YOU RUGER

Look under Ruger Frequently Asked Questions and click on - New York Residents

Ruger Frequently Asked Questions

In addition. They are suggesting ways to take action to help protect our gun rights!

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Click on - Protect Your Rights

Ruger - Protect Your Rights

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    This might be time to buy stock in Colt, Springfield, Kimber, or any other 1911 manufacturer IF they're publicly traded.

Then again, I would feel bad profiting from the insanity.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    This might be time to buy stock in Colt, Springfield, Kimber, or any other 1911 manufacturer IF they're publicly traded.

Then again, I would feel bad profiting from the insanity.

I wouldn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links