Germany initiates massive gun registry, to barely a peep

This is a discussion on Germany initiates massive gun registry, to barely a peep within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Germany initiates massive gun registry, to barely a peep | Nation & World | The Seattle Times Germany initiates massive gun registry, to barely a ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Germany initiates massive gun registry, to barely a peep

Germany initiates massive gun registry, to barely a peep | Nation & World | The Seattle Times

In Germany, a new gun database went into service at the beginning of the year that details every legal gun owner in the country, along with information about all of their firearms.

By Michael Birnbaum

The Washington Post

BERLIN — Imagine a vast registry that details every legal gun owner in the country, along with information about all of their firearms.

Now imagine the gun lobby not making a fuss about it.

That’s what has happened in Germany, where a new gun database went into service at the beginning of the year.

Until recently, some records were kept on index cards across what used to be 551 separate local registries. Now, law-enforcement officials can use their own computers to scroll through lists of owners and their guns in seconds.
    Last edited by rstickle; January 20th, 2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Copyright infraction

Administrator
    Registration in Germany didn't go so well the last time. They must have short memories.
    91wm6, Naufragia, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    If they are preparing a raid on a house, they can scout the address in the database to be better prepared for what weapons might lie within.

(Tracking from the moment of manufacture ...) might also help officials keep better tabs on illegal weapons, which many groups estimate far outnumber legal ones, at upward of 20 million.

We now have the instruments that we need,” said Dennis Golcher, an official in the weapons-administration section of Berlin’s police department. “We really appreciate this national register. It has considerably improved our work.”
    They now know where the citizens' guns are. What about the criminals' guns? That would sort of depend on criminals voluntarily reporting their firearms, acquiring them from the local gun store, etc.

"We now have the instruments we need." Ah, yes. They do indeed, at least for those owned by upstanding citizens.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    They now know where the citizens' guns are. What about the criminals' guns? That would sort of depend on criminals voluntarily reporting their firearms, acquiring them from the local gun store, etc.

"We now have the instruments we need." Ah, yes. They do indeed, at least for those owned by upstanding citizens.

Ah yes the criminals guns. The one thing no government ever considers. Its very helpful to be able to know the number of legal guns owned by a law abiding citizen when you plan to raid them. Never mind you wont or shouldnt be raiding them if they have done nothing wrong.
    And why for Petes sakes cant the population of Germany who should know as well as anyone where this sort of thing leads remember their history????

Next we'll hear Obama and Biden holding up Germany as a "shining model of what can be done! Why, just imagine how much less crime we would have if we were like Germany!"

It makes me ill.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

You would have thought they had learned ....... ah, some people are destined to repeat history.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Time to start boycotting every anti-gun country we can.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Time to start boycotting every anti-gun country we can.
    can I still eat Kraut?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    can I still eat Kraut?
    Yup, get an oak barrel, cabbage and plenty of salt. Install a spigot and hit me up. My family has been making it for years at home.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Didn't they try this about 75 years ago? And the cops can come by your house and check on your guns??? Holy smokes....exactly why we have the 2A!
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Sponsored Links