Heated debate with the Daughter last night. - Page 2

Heated debate with the Daughter last night.

This is a discussion on Heated debate with the Daughter last night. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't speak to family or friends that don't support the 2nd amendment...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Heated debate with the Daughter last night.

I don't speak to family or friends that don't support the 2nd amendment

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Dad, sometimes the only thing that shatters the fantasy is the hard slap of reality.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Time to disown her and cut your losses.

Or realize that sometimes you can't sway people to your way of thinking (even if it's obvious you are right).

^YEP^^^^^^^^

And casually mention to her a few months from now that you have decided she was right, and that you have sold all your firearms.
    That way she can't turn you in when the time comes.
    Brad426 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    As a parent of similar aged children, I feel your pain. All you can do with your children is to "guide them". They make their own decisions and will learn to suffer the consequences on their own. It's all part of the learning curve of becoming an independent adult. Keep her interest in guns and encourage her to carry since she is obtaining a CWP. This is definitely a step in the right direction. The more they learn and understand about our right to bear arms, the more they will defend it. Good luck in your massive endeavor.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Cut her out of the will! Donate everything to the NRA!
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Red face

God was I stupid at 25. Not calling your daughter stupid my friend this thread just made me think back to my younger days. Luckily I have grown into this wise know it all early middle age sage. Lol I'm sure when I'm retired I'm looking back and saying, God was I stupid at 43.
    Snub44 and Hoganbeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Dude, it's called humor. Most people get it. ;-)
    Not really. Sarcasm is hard to pull off in written word. Most people can't do it.

Thanks for the replies. I do think at this point, there's not going to be much that I can do moving forward, other than (as people have pointed out) to let it go, and move on my way.

As another individual has pointed out, I have failed as a parent /sarcasm. LOL.
    I do think that I have one other card to play, though. When I told my Daughter about a year ago that if she went and got her permit paperwork and training done, I would buy her a pistol.
    I think I will give her very limited options..... Maybe a .22 revolver, or on the other end of the spectrum a 1911, which is way to big for her. Keep her away from the 8-18 round pistols and see what she says.

She is a very well rounded individual, and I do take a lot of credit for that, as well as her Mother, but holy crap.....sometimes you just can't get people to see the forest through the trees.

When my kids were that age they also wanted to "Ping" the old man about a political issues. They are desperate to win an argument to get their adult chops. I found the perfect solution! They weren't invited over to dinner anymore. I told them their behavior was rude and they could come back when they really grew up and could actually act like an adult. The loss of free food was a stunning blow to them. The other thing you can do is tell them they are adopted and you don't really expect them to think like you since they are a different blood line. Then cite 4 generations back on your side that are in agreement and they are the first to disagree. This of course is all a lie but they don't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRolo View Post
    Let it go. At least she is not anti-gun
    If she wants to force all the rest of us to register our guns so the government can confiscate them, yes, she most assuredly *IS* anti-gun. She is deeply and profoundly anti-gun.

I like the argument I heard somewhere. It goes like this . . .

You and your family are in a room. On the table are three things. A loaded gun. A cell phone. And a note. On the note it says, "In one minute three criminals are going to burst through the door, beat the husband, rape the wife and daughter, and slit the son's throat."

Which item on the table are you going to reach for?

I think that was from the Travis Haley you tube video posted here earlier?

Jim
    RKflorida and Crowbait like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luv_jeeps View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I do think at this point, there's not going to be much that I can do moving forward, other than (as people have pointed out) to let it go, and move on my way.

As another individual has pointed out, I have failed as a parent /sarcasm. LOL.
    I do think that I have one other card to play, though. When I told my Daughter about a year ago that if she went and got her permit paperwork and training done, I would buy her a pistol.
    I think I will give her very limited options..... Maybe a .22 revolver, or on the other end of the spectrum a 1911, which is way to big for her. Keep her away from the 8-18 round pistols and see what she says.

She is a very well rounded individual, and I do take a lot of credit for that, as well as her Mother, but holy crap.....sometimes you just can't get people to see the forest through the trees.
    I could be reading this wrong, but to 'teach' her a lesson you're willing to buy her a less-than-desirable defensive caliber pistol OR one with a lower limit capacity. Please forgive me if I read this wrong. This IS your daughter, right?
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    My kids were 25 years old at one time. At that time I'd probably try to cram my point of view down their throats. I've realized now part of their postion is inserting their new-found independence. Being wiser now, if I make some statement and they counter with the opposite, I just sort of shrug and smile and move the subject onward to avoid escalation.

I think it makes them feel less pressured, and I'm always hopeful that'll add to their wisdom one day.
    Having opinions crammed down your throat is hard for anyone to swallow. That is probably why she hates Hannity...I know I can't stand his style...and to be honest...considering his penchant for half-truths and exaggerations, his substance is sometimes as questionable as his style.

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    I could be reading this wrong, but to 'teach' her a lesson you're willing to buy her a less-than-desirable defensive caliber pistol OR one with a lower limit capacity. Please forgive me if I read this wrong. This IS your daughter, right?
    I wouldn't buy her anything that won't do the job, just maybe use the statement as a tool to try and sway her a little bit.
    She actually wants the Wifey's CZ, which is not going to happen. I will let her make a decision on what she wants and then go from there.
    As you mention, it IS my Daughter.....

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luv_jeeps View Post
    Daughter(25) came up last night for dinner, and after dinner I decided to show her the clip from Hannity with only the gal shooting at the targets with each firearm.
    After that, she blasted Hannity as being an idiot, and didn't really pay attention to the conversation, other than saying that she wanted to shoot the shotties.
    I told her that we could go out and shoot (she's been shooting with the Wife and I before) but then the conversation turned to politics....LOL.
    She's going in for her concealed class tomorrow, but still mentioned that she thinks that people need to register their weapons.

I was totally taken by surprise.
    We argued about many different things, even so far as the whole Hitler/Stalin/Polpot things.
    Could not really get her to budge to much on anything, other than she says she respects the rights, but wants people to have mandatory training, etc....
    Not sure how I can get her to move off of supporting any upcoming legislation.

Thoughts?
    It's like Bill Cosby once said.. You brought her into this world. You can take her right back out and make another one just like her. hehehe
    Ask her why she feels firearms need to be registered. Ask her why the Government needs to know what, and how many guns each person has, and where to find them. Then ask her what purpose that list serves, other than giving the Gov't a way to confiscate firearms when laws change and further infringe on her Constitutional Rights.
    I typically just like to ask a person why they feel the way they do, then as they answer, I'll tell them exactly why their ideas don't work in the real world, while trying not to become an "adversary." When it turns into me versus them, then it's pretty much a stalemate.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links