Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by GlassWolf You make it sound like we're not doing all of that already, in addition to the gatherings. I apologize. That was ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    You make it sound like we're not doing all of that already, in addition to the gatherings.
    I apologize. That was not my intention. Many of us are doing all we can, I'm aware and appreciative of that. My concern is how these demonstrations will be viewed by the masses given the way our media will portray them and thus the limited or even negative value they may have.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't see the "Come and take them" signs and banners and the like contributing much toward our cause.
    I agree, that's what the media will air and they will portray gun owners as right wing radicals.

Distinguished Member
    I was there and it made my family and myself feel more United and empowered. I also feel it was a whole lot harder to ignore and brush off than emails, letters and phone calls. Plus it showed the politicians that were there that we are serious and ready to put real efforts behind our words. Nothing will probably be perfect, but doing this seems way better than not doing it in my opinion, and that's why I was there.
    Spirit51 and vilecanards like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

What we need to do is change the dialogue from "pro-gun" or "against gun control" to standing up for our rights as Americans. The rally should be label "pro rights" or "against the limitations of our rights". The media will never put a headline with those words, but that is the issue. Not whether you support guns or are against guns. It is about whather you support ALL of our rights or you don't.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Big headlines "Thousands rally against stricter gun control in US": IMHO we would be much better off working through the media, contacting our representatives directly and funding the NRA. These rallies, although well meaning and usually peaceful and well run just do not look good when played on television. To me it appears to be much like the leftist activist types looking for something for nothing at others expense. I really don't think it changes any congressional opinions and only serves as cannon fodder for the anti groups to use for energizing their support of more gun control. After all were really after two things here. To convince congress that our 2nd amendments rights are to be preserved and to convince those "undecideds" in the public that we have at the least a valid point of view and at most to get a few of them to join us in their support of the 2nd amendment. As for the far left, no manor of persuasion is worth the time, money, or effort. They will only believe in owning guns "individually" at the point in time when one is being pointed at them.
    The gauntlet has been thrown from the highest level of government, which now seeks to disarm the law-abiding among us. At this point in the confrontation, silence will be construed as indifference, even submission.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    You may not be the only one but you are one of them. :0
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I like seeing them.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I don't think it makes much of a difference one way or the other. What does make a difference is making sure that the politicians know that there are more pro gun votes out there than anti gun votes. They will do what ever they think will keep them in office.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I don't think it makes much of a difference one way or the other. What does make a difference is making sure that the politicians know that there are more pro gun votes out there than anti gun votes. They will do what ever they think will keep them in office.
    What better way to let them know than to stand outside their offices?
    Spirit51 likes this.

Re: Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?

Well, gee whiz... I guess the next thing to do is simply surrender. Surrender our rights, and surrender our freedom.

After all, nothing we do makes any difference.

How pathetic.

Peaceable assembly and public protest is what this nation is founded on! It helps show all the pathetic losers (whom allows apathy to rule their life), that there are those out there willing to make a stand and fight for what they believe in. There are those willing to do more than sit at home, wring their hands and issue a bunch of self defeating lipservice. "Oh... you're wasting your time." "Oh... no one listens to you anyway." "Oh, you look like an idiot... Just what the anti's need."

What these rally's really do is show the politicians, "Hey, you may think all we do is sit on our butts at home and whine about how we're being wronged, but keep thinking that at your own peril." It says, "I have taken the time, made the effort, and shelled out the expense to get off my lazy American butt, and drive down to your doorstep and I will also get off my butt and show up to vote your sorry ass out of office. Ignore us at your own peril."

But yeah, there's plenty of folks who think that is silly and a complete waste of time. Problem is, I don't see those people doing much of anything either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

"Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?" says Maverickx50.

I would have to say YES. You may not be the only one....but you are not in good company. I am sure if you ask any Liberal/Progressive or member of the MSM would agree with you. They are trying hard to advance that stero type and "shame" the majority that DON'T agree into "hiding". Won't happen. This issue is too important on many levels.

So either lead, follow or just get out of the way. Which ever you chose...doesn't matter to the VAST majority of us who are fighting for our freedom.
    DPro.40, Darrow75 and msgt/ret like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The rallies wont sway anti gun public opinion. I dont think they were ever meant to. What they do do is get the attention of the various states represenatives who want to be reelected. If a decent number of the public shows at these rallies it will give them pause about passing stupid laws that arent popular with their voters.
    It wont stop Obama since he cant be reelected anyway. It will if the turnout is large across the nation put the fear of God in his cohorts who DO want to be relected that a political house cleaning is coming should they follow lead.
    And gives the feds the notice that the days of us sitting by and doing nothing but joining the NRA are over. JMO

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    The rallies wont sway anti gun public opinion. I dont think they were ever meant to. What they do do is get the attention of the various states represenatives who want to be reelected. If a decent number of the public shows at these rallies it will give them pause about passing stupid laws that arent popular with their voters.
    It wont stop Obama since he cant be reelected anyway. It will if the turnout is large across the nation put the fear of God in his cohorts who DO want to be relected that a political house cleaning is coming should they follow lead.
    And gives the feds the notice that the days of us sitting by and doing nothing but joining the NRA are over. JMO
    You mean all those representatives who had gone home for a 3-day weekend?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You mean all those representatives who had gone home for a 3-day weekend?
    Doesnt matter if they were there or not. Trust that they will know folks showed up at their respective capitals. Its not like the whole capital was empty. The more that show at these the better. Still has the same effect if they were looking out a window or their aides security etc tell them or they see it on local news.

I do agree the timing could have been better than this particular weekend. And more time and advertizing ahead of time would have been better. But in no way did we HURT our cause at all.
    Bark'n likes this.

I like to think I support the Bill of Rights.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links