Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Big headlines "Thousands rally against stricter gun control in US": IMHO we would be much better off working through the media, contacting our representatives directly ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Big headlines "Thousands rally against stricter gun control in US": IMHO we would be much better off working through the media, contacting our representatives directly and funding the NRA. These rallies, although well meaning and usually peaceful and well run just do not look good when played on television. To me it appears to be much like the leftist activist types looking for something for nothing at others expense. I really don't think it changes any congressional opinions and only serves as cannon fodder for the anti groups to use for energizing their support of more gun control. After all were really after two things here. To convince congress that our 2nd amendments rights are to be preserved and to convince those "undecideds" in the public that we have at the least a valid point of view and at most to get a few of them to join us in their support of the 2nd amendment. As for the far left, no manor of persuasion is worth the time, money, or effort. They will only believe in owning guns "individually" at the point in time when one is being pointed at them.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The time for BS is about over.

Once you figure out that nothing you can say will matter and that that little box you are standing on is being totally ignored, the last thing left is the cartridge box.

As for the far left, no manor of persuasion is worth the time, money, or effort. They will only believe in guns "individually" at the point in time when one is being pointed at them.
    That is correct. We arent that far off.
    Badey, mg27, vilecanards and 1 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I do believe the members of the many gun forums have contacted their local news outlets, their local, state and federal representatives, as I have. I also believe that the rallies also serve a purpose as do boycotts of anti-gun businesses and organizations. Do the rallies by the left not look good on TV? The left uses them very effectively and so should we.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

It doesn't help when the media shows attendees in a bad light--- all looking like radical nut jobs. You can rally all you want....the sound falls on deaf ears. We can only hope that Americans act as they always have in the past. The more time goes by, the less interest is shown in a supposedly horrific event. Newtown was terrible but its starting to fall behind all of the other news of the day. Americans have a very short attention span and lead busy lives and are largely self involved.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I don't think it makes a difference. Maybe it does. But you can forget working through the media. They are bought and paid for and will only report on "news" that advances their agenda. If there isn't any news, they'll invent some.

Perhaps 100,000+ protestors that are all ARMED would make a statement that could not be ignored. That I'd like to see.
    Spirit51, TN_Mike, mg27 and 5 others like this.

Given the leftist media in the country right now, there will not be much pro-gun information, it will all be anti-gun propaganda.

Notice how murders are reported in this country, but defensive uses, which occur daily, are never reported.

One of the few ways positive support for the second amendment can be shown is by demonstration. The demonstrators will still be demonized by the press, but more people will see that there are Second Amendment supporters out there.

If you tell big enough lies, long enough, people will start to believe them. When the press says the country wants a gun ban they are lying. Demonstrations at least allow some people to know there are 2A supporters out there.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Am I the only one that feels that pro-gun rallies are counterproductive?

I could not agree with the OP more. Esp some of the people at the rallies are exactly what the anti's fear, red necks with big bad guns!!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    OldGrumpy likes this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

I see we are suppose to sit home and just let it happen to us. But of course the anit 2nd amendment crowds can over run the capital riot all they want.
    you sit Home if you want I a m at the rally and will be seen and hear I was there yesterday .
    The teachers union called for a massive turn out to pro test the 2nd amendment today. But it was not a paid work day so not many showed up.
    Molon labe
    Hoganbeg, TN_Mike and msgt/ret like this.

When your governor vetoes a bill that has bi-partisan support, writing and calling doesn't do much good.

The local police force is handing money under the table that is apparently enough for him not to be concerned with re-election.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    They also serve to unite gun owners, or at least shine a light on the need to unite and not throw each other under the bus. From the standpoint of the ignorant masses, it presents the appearance of unity and acts as counter-point to the claims that a majority of gun owners support restrictions.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Big headlines "Thousands rally against stricter gun control in US": IMHO we would be much better off working through the media, contacting our representatives directly and funding the NRA.
    You make it sound like we're not doing all of that already, in addition to the gatherings. The problem with your plan is that the media in large part, kisses up to the democrats. NBC for example, never airs anything pro-gun. Their agenda is to play along with the gun grabbers. FOX news is conservative, but they're already considered to be "viased" toward the "right wing nutjobs" so no liberals actually watch FOX, unless it's to use FOX as the butt of some joke or to point out how biased they are. (yes I know, goose, gander, pot kettle black etc..) There's a line in the sand already, and people seem to be on one side or the other in regards to for or against gun control legislation. The mass of people in the middle don't seem to care at all either way.
    Our legislators follow their party lines, so if you're in a blue state, all contacting your reps does, is get you a form letter saying "we need common sense gun restrictions, thanks for writing" and in red states we're preaching to the choir.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Nope.

They're advertising, seeking to get the word out to citizens who need to do something in order to support the cause. Little more. To the extent they inform, guide, instruct, or otherwise provide a venue for others to meet like-minded folks who can help inform, guide, instruct, then I think it's far more useful than run-of-the-mill advertising.

These rallies, although well meaning and usually peaceful and well run just do not look good when played on television. To me it appears to be much like the leftist activist types looking for something for nothing at others expense.
    Yes, those disagreeing with the message and the manner of gathering will find it distasteful. And I suppose you're correct in suggesting that the "leftist activist" types will see something of themselves in such gatherings. As well they should. A good offense is often the best defense. People learn this ... not just "leftist activist" types. So they see it for what it is (a good offense), so what?

I really don't think it changes any congressional opinions ...
    That's one view. There are others. Think back to when the Vietnam War protests were going on, when millions of people across the country rallied at various venues, including at DC. Pretty hard to ignore, the continued message being put forth. Sure, there were some who viewed it as near-criminal to "complain" and "rant" (aka, "appear the domestic terrorist") in such ways. And sure, there were some who viewed the whole concept of going "against" the government as distasteful, as if that meant such folks were going against the People.

But in a very real sense, those gatherings helped spread the word, helped keep the message strong, helped make it hard to ignore and sweep under the rug, and helped to keep the message top-of-mind in the eyes of the country ... including the temporarily-elected hirelings. THEY COULDN'T IGNORE the level of vehemence on the issue, ignore it in ways they do on so many things that can be swept under the rug without anyone noticing.

Rallies can help do all those things. This cause isn't any different, in that sense.

... and only serves as cannon fodder for the anti groups to use for energizing their support of more gun control.
    Such rallies serve much more than that, no matter the cause. See above.

After all were really after two things here. To convince congress that our 2nd amendments rights are to be preserved and to convince those "undecideds" in the public that we have at the least a valid point of view and at most to get a few of them to join us in their support of the 2nd amendment.
    And the fact of the matter is, blood didn't "run in the streets" simply because folks were getting together armed to the teeth. Nobody got shot. Nobody died or spontaneously combusted. These folks didn't attack the People's buildings and places of legislative worship.

It wasn't much different than a local neighborhood gathering down at the library, all things considered. And that goes a long way to show that UPSTANDING CITIZENS ARE NOT THE THREAT. There's no real way around that, no matter how vehemently a person chooses to believe that guns are bad hence anyone with a gun must be bad. That sort of thinking simply isn't true, no matter how much they believe it.

As for the far left, no manor of persuasion is worth the time, money, or effort. They will only believe in owning guns "individually" at the point in time when one is being pointed at them.
    Yup. And getting the message out in such ways has little to do with instantly reeducating the rabid, head-in-sand left. Over time, it'll come only after there's a hard, unshakable, inviolable center of our People who will not be swayed or pushed aside on this question regarding the defense of our families and our very lives.

There will always be rabid leftists, just as there will always be felonious criminals, and both groups will seek to take our lives away from us (though, in different ways). We need to start with what we've got, focusing on those thinking persons who can appreciate the spoken/written word, who can appreciate the practical reality on the streets (beyond the political spin most get bombarded with), who can appreciate the meaning of reality under an "upraised knife." The rest, those who have no clue? They can come later, if they're able.

But to do nothing, to not get the word out, to not prove that such upstanding though armed people all around us aren't any threat to anything? That'll only serve to give the rabid utopia dreamers exactly the world that they're gunning for: one in which nobody has any practical ability to withstand the predators in this world. And that's just not good enough.
    miller_man and Grinder like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The media will never give gun owner's a fair shake, it's their intent to discredit law abiding gun owner's.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't see the "Come and take them" signs and banners and the like contributing much toward our cause.
    tdw63 and Clodbert like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    I don't think it makes a difference. Maybe it does. But you can forget working through the media. They are bought and paid for and will only report on "news" that advances their agenda. If there isn't any news, they'll invent some.

Perhaps 100,000+ protestors that are all ARMED would make a statement that could not be ignored. That I'd like to see.
    re: part in bold IT would make a statement alright. But not send the message you want to send. The reaction would
    be swift, and very anti-gun owners.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links