Shooting Less? - Page 2

Shooting Less?

This is a discussion on Shooting Less? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Aiko Yes I have cut back, more time with the .22 and less rounds with the AR, .45 and 9 mm's. Yep, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Shooting Less?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Yes I have cut back, more time with the .22 and less rounds with the AR, .45 and 9 mm's.
    Yep, I've been becoming much better acquainted with my .22's lately, and it's actually been a good thing. It's always good to use a .22 to keep up on the fundamentals. In addition to that, since I reload, I keep myself stocked up with practice ammo with relative ease (and economy). Of course, I don't know what I'm going to find when it comes time to replenish my supply of loading components.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, unfortunately have not been to the range in a few weeks, I was going weekly before all this crap. I've even got around 300 rounds of just target stuff, but I have a really hard time going and blasting it away with no way to replace it right now. Really have been trying to get out and take the shotgun out somewhere, but can't take that to any of my ranges.

If this keeps up, I have to find a new hobby for awhile. Ammo will be back by summer I'm sure.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Ammo will be back by summer I'm sure.
    I hope you are right.
    I've just been looking around online. Back order seems to be the norm. Even if you can find some, the .40 I prefer to practice with is almost if not double price.

I'm beginning to smell a rat.

W/o doing a scientific study; I'd venture to say nationally that target shooting is WAYYYY down.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Yes, My two main sources of ammo have dried up. Wal- Mart and Academy. I am afraid to shoot what I have and not be able to replace it. I have 700 rounds of .45 and a thousand rounds of 223 and less than 300 rounds of .22. I have never ordered ammo on line but everyone says it is back ordered and will take weeks to get. so I just don't shoot anymore. I hate it because since my wife died six months ago target shooting was one of the things that helped me get my mind off my loss.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    With the scarcity of ammo, is anyone else curtailing their time at the range?

I feel my right to " the pursuit of happiness" has been infringed.
    I'm not curtailing my range time, but I am doing many more precision exercises, and fewer of the high-volume variety.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not really as I shoot mostly reloads and not as many rounds or as often as some others here. What limits my shooting is the 45 minute drive to the range more than lac of ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Most definitely

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Have kept plenty since the last coronation and was able to pick up plenty at the gun show today, that and reloading I can shoot as much as I want.
    W/o divulging any secrets; I wonder how long you can maintain it?
    Seems even reload material is beginning to dry up.

I maintain a "minimum # of rnds threshold" for the SHTF scenario. Sadly; I've reached that threshold and just won't shoot for recreation now.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    It hasn't been over 20 degrees here in a while and I shoot outside.
    You cannot pick the weather that you will have a gunfight in. Train in bad weather too. I shoot in the rain, snow, hot or cold, bc you never know.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What would you know? You're in NY; you only need to shoot 7 rounds. Anyone can do that in bad weather.
    RoadRunner71 and Darrow75 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have reduced my shooting, not because of ammo, but range is always packed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I have a funny feeling that the ammo may have another, more useful, purpose.
    But deer season is over
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Yes, I've been going less and I think it is going to get worse. In addition to the ammo shortage, my range membership expires as the end of the month. I am not planning on renewing right away as I want to put the money to the AR I ordered in December and I want to check out a new, outdoor range, in a couple of months when it warms up a tad. I will probably go once more before the expiration and I may collect my brass and consider the option of reloading.

I currently have about 400 rounds on hand, and have another 500 on order, which is a few good trips, but i would be much more comfortable with about 10x that much. I didn't get into guns until about 2011 and haven't had a good chance to really stock up on ammo.

Yes I have reduced my shooting. Reloading supplies can be difficult to find so that slows down shooting too.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    i am glad i live in small town i have been surprised at how much ammo i can get here where i live. i feel sorry for all you guys! good luck and be safe
    I am in Lebanon! Which business is this?

I have a wally and Bi-mart where I am! TKH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links