Defensive Carry banner

Shooting Less?

3K views 56 replies 46 participants last post by  bschwan 
#1 ·
With the scarcity of ammo, is anyone else curtailing their time at the range?

I feel my right to " the pursuit of happiness" has been infringed.

#23 ·
W/o divulging any secrets; I wonder how long you can maintain it?
Seems even reload material is beginning to dry up.

I maintain a "minimum # of rnds threshold" for the SHTF scenario. Sadly; I've reached that threshold and just won't shoot for recreation now.

#3 ·
just changed what I'm shooting (would go thru withdraws otherwise) heading to range tomorrow shooting shootgun and clays 20.00 for 100 rounds and 4.99 for 90 clays don't know why but shot gun ammo is still available here even though you can't even get 22 ammo and don't ask about anything else you have to know what day they get ammo and be there when they open to get pistol ammo by the way wal mart tuesday academy saturday LOL

#4 ·
Yes. And due to current shortages i had no other choice but to buy some terrible PPU JHP ammo for my practice needs.

Looked on youtube and saw nothing but bad news about the cartridge. Decided to do a little water jug/denim test of my own due sheer boredom and true to form it had complete jacket separation and passed through all jugs including the backstop. I found the jacket lodged in the backstop.

#5 ·
i have little over 400 bullets for my 40 cal saved up and i can go shoot if i wanted but i haven't in a few weeks. been trying to pick up ammo here and their cause i'm on a tight budget. theirs alota bullets in my town i can get em from 3 or 4 different stores in 50 100 or 250 round packs at the normal price but i'm seeing how every things going to play out before i make my every other week range time. ill wait till i get a few hundred more until i go to range again.

#16 ·
Yes I have cut back, more time with the .22 and less rounds with the AR, .45 and 9 mm's.
Yep, I've been becoming much better acquainted with my .22's lately, and it's actually been a good thing. It's always good to use a .22 to keep up on the fundamentals. In addition to that, since I reload, I keep myself stocked up with practice ammo with relative ease (and economy). Of course, I don't know what I'm going to find when it comes time to replenish my supply of loading components.

#7 ·
I won't go to the range unless I can find ammo to replace what I will probably shoot and lately, that's pretty much nil. I guess my Mosin will see most of the action now, since that ammo is still around and cheap. I wish .308/7.62x51 was as cheap as Mosin ammo :frown:
I can find almost any ammo, but not trying to go broke with todays prices.

#24 ·
You cannot pick the weather that you will have a gunfight in. Train in bad weather too. I shoot in the rain, snow, hot or cold, bc you never know.

#11 ·
Last week the range I frequent restricted ammo to one box. I'm loathe to part with any of my precious horde at this time so in answer to your question: yes.

#15 ·
I'm a little jealous of you reloaders; though my friend who does reload told me he is having a hard time finding primers.

Like a few others here who responded, I like to keep X amount of rounds on hand, so I don't go as much as I want at this time.

I can't prove it, but I believe the big box stores are in bed with the fed until they see if the fed will profit them or not. Yeesh!

#17 ·
Yes, unfortunately have not been to the range in a few weeks, I was going weekly before all this crap. I've even got around 300 rounds of just target stuff, but I have a really hard time going and blasting it away with no way to replace it right now. Really have been trying to get out and take the shotgun out somewhere, but can't take that to any of my ranges.

If this keeps up, I have to find a new hobby for awhile. Ammo will be back by summer I'm sure.

#18 ·
Ammo will be back by summer I'm sure.
I hope you are right.
I've just been looking around online. Back order seems to be the norm. Even if you can find some, the .40 I prefer to practice with is almost if not double price.

I'm beginning to smell a rat.

W/o doing a scientific study; I'd venture to say nationally that target shooting is WAYYYY down.

#19 ·
Yes, My two main sources of ammo have dried up. Wal- Mart and Academy. I am afraid to shoot what I have and not be able to replace it. I have 700 rounds of .45 and a thousand rounds of 223 and less than 300 rounds of .22. I have never ordered ammo on line but everyone says it is back ordered and will take weeks to get. so I just don't shoot anymore. I hate it because since my wife died six months ago target shooting was one of the things that helped me get my mind off my loss.

#34 ·
I hate it because since my wife died six months ago target shooting was one of the things that helped me get my mind off my loss.
Hang around revldm. With all the silly things I post, I feel confident that alone will keep your mind entertained if not agitated. LOL

#21 ·
Not really as I shoot mostly reloads and not as many rounds or as often as some others here. What limits my shooting is the 45 minute drive to the range more than lac of ammo.

#28 ·
Yes, I've been going less and I think it is going to get worse. In addition to the ammo shortage, my range membership expires as the end of the month. I am not planning on renewing right away as I want to put the money to the AR I ordered in December and I want to check out a new, outdoor range, in a couple of months when it warms up a tad. I will probably go once more before the expiration and I may collect my brass and consider the option of reloading.

I currently have about 400 rounds on hand, and have another 500 on order, which is a few good trips, but i would be much more comfortable with about 10x that much. I didn't get into guns until about 2011 and haven't had a good chance to really stock up on ammo.

#32 ·
We generally shoot less in the winter anyway... other than that, no real reduction.
If we get close to our "low water mark" we may cut back, but we're not there yet.

#33 ·
The only obstacle to my outdoor range time has been the cold weather. So I've been shooting my custom CO2 pistol indoors. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.