AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic?

This is a discussion on AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think it's pretty clear that it is panic buying....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic?

I think it's pretty clear that it is panic buying.
    Last edited by Dangerfield; January 21st, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I was in Gander Mountain a week ago...they had shelves of ammo....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Gun owners are probably more paranoid than investors on Wall Street. All it takes is a rumor of gun control and the next thing you know we're being told that the national guard will be walking down the streets knocking on doors and confiscating our guns. The ammunition shortage is our fault, ladies and gentlemen. We can blame no one but ourselves. Some of you aren't old enough to remember the gas storages of the early 1970s. But it worked out like this: someone annouced that there might be a gasline storage (keep in mind, where I lived gas was still about 25 cents a gallon) and within days, after panic buying and hoarding, we really had what appeared to be a serious problem. Relax and as soon as production levels from the manufacturers levels out, ammunition will be available. I suspect it will be more expensive, why...because we the people have shown that we are willing to submit to paying higher prices. Here's a good example. Just a year ago I bought a Rossi 38 special model 85104 from CTD for $257. That was a fairly normal price for that quality of gun. Today, if you could find this gun in stock, you'll be paying $350-$400. Panic...the arms and ammunition manufacturers are loving it. We are busy doing more damage to ourselves than congress and the president could ever hope to accomplish. In closing, lookup of the stock values of Ruger and Smith & Wesson for the last few weeks. That will say it all.
    PatAz likes this.

VIP Member
    This isn't the first time there's been a shortage due to panic buying. It wasn't a conspiracy back then, and it likely isn't a conspiracy now.

No more than grocery stores getting cleaned out the day before Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I found Glock 19 magazines in an LGS a couple weeks ago, and bought every one they had...both of them.
    I wish there was a "jealous" button on here, instead of just a "like" button...

I saw this coming right after the CT incident, and bought a few mags at a LGS. The very next day, I decided to go back and get more and they were cleaned out of ALL mags (except for Sig, b/c no one could afford them)
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    I wonder if the HLS FEMA, et all, new this was coming and that is why they purchased millions of rounds months ago?

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    HLS security bought ammo before elections. There was a thought that the general public is so divided, that election results could cause social unrest and turmoil, in which case the gov't had to be in position or be ready to control or enact upon such issues as needed. There was a document somewhere stating this and the amount of ammo purchased online but that amount was crossed out. The ammo that HLS purchased is strictly from Federal only.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I wish there was a "jealous" button on here, instead of just a "like" button...

I saw this coming right after the CT incident, and bought a few mags at a LGS. The very next day, I decided to go back and get more and they were cleaned out of ALL mags (except for Sig, b/c no one could afford them)
    Unfortunately, I didn't by my full-sized M&P 9mm until well after mags had vanished from the shelves.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Remember too that many manufacturers shut down for a period over Christmas. The timing of this panic may have slowed the reaction time down a little on the production end.

VIP Member
    Same ammo shortage happened after the election of 2008. Since Obama and his people were not in a position yet to control the supply, I don't think you can call 2008 a conspiracy.

At the last gun show here in Richmond (2 weeks ago). I watched and heard a man buy 5 cases of 9mm ammo. He told the vendor "I'm going to get it while it's still available". So basically when it comes to gun/ammo shortages. We're our own worst enemy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would buy more ammo but I don't have space where to store it.. The last thing I need is a house full of ammo cans.. I am sure my wife would notice that and ask me if she can start stockpiling jewelry, shoes, and purses!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Its hit or miss... my local shops had 2-3 remington 870's as well as tons of handgun ammo. But we cant for the life of it find 223/556 ammo PERIOD! I was able to grab one box @ a whopping $1/round sigh ....
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Same-thing happened 4-yrs ago.

Firearms and ammo are in high demand right now, more so this time then the last one.

As soon as it comes in...someone buys it all up!

It took a few months for the dust to settle last time...it will again.

Then figure in all the people buying guns for the first time they need ammo too. Let alone the hoarders.

AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic?

My gun store told me one guy bought all of the 9mm ammo that they got in. I don't like the idea of rationing, but it's unfair for one guy to do that. He's probably reselling it at a huge profit.

New Member Array alabama_lowlife's Avatar
    If you're looking for 22 ammo, check gunbroker. There's no doubt why a lot of people bought ammo. Same type of people who buy up all the generators right before a storm and try to sell them for 3 times what they paid.

Its short because people are getting ready to shoot people that confiscate guns.

There is no conspiracy here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links