AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic?

This is a discussion on AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK. I admit it. My conspiracy mind may be working overtime. Nonetheless.... Why the shortage? I understand the higher prices (IF) we can even find ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AMMO Shortage: Conspiracy or Panic?

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

OK. I admit it. My conspiracy mind may be working overtime. Nonetheless....

Why the shortage?
    I understand the higher prices (IF) we can even find the ammo..It's the American way.

Perhaps someone here knows the production capability of ammo manufacturer's..I don't.

My Logic:
    It seems to me ammo can be made at a very high rate of production. Do they (ammo mfg's) depend on foreign suppliers for raw material? (Conspiracy?)

Apparently Walmart is suspending ammo orders. (Conspiracy?)

The Gov bought 750 million rounds this past summer. Normal buying habit aside; was (THEIR) order fulfilled? (Conspiracy?)

Anyone see where I'm going with this? I smell a rat.

Seems to me; it is possible the anti-2A administration we have may have just won a victory by using "back channel" communications by way of intimidation or threats to
    ammo manufacturer's?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Supply and demand can be a tricky balance to maintain when factors in its equation change.
    Tzadik likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I read yesterday that one of the ammo manufacturers (I can't remember which one) is running 3 shifts, 24/7, and has orders booked solid until 2015.

Distinguished Member
    Panic.

The initial panic emptied the shelves. Now many gun owners will pick a box or two whenever they see any in stock just to be safe. This keeps the shelves empty.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Too many non enthusiasts sucked up a good portion for pure profit. I know a few locals that have and Ive expressed my feelings to them. Probably fell on deaf ears though

OK..so the U.S military is stockpiled with rounds of every caliber in the event of a ground action?..or do they need re-supply also?

Supply and demand can be a tricky balance to maintain when factors in its equation change.
    Ok Mike...so there's not enough demand? LOL

When a war breaks out, production in the U.S is awesome. I guess the ammo mfg's don't see this assault on the 2nd amendment as a war.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Each time someone here says they found ammo at WalMart they also say they bought it all!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Each time someone here says they found ammo at WalMart they also say they bought it all!!!
    I found Glock 19 magazines in an LGS a couple weeks ago, and bought every one they had...both of them.

I've heard some people camp out every morning waiting for Wally World 's trucks to roll in.
    I can't confirm that but I do believe it.

Ammo availability is not the only problem... I have been trying to get a Remington 870 Express for weeks. There are none around this area.

Stopped by a Dunham Sports in Rockingham, NC the week before last and their gun cases (rifle and shotgun) were pretty full. Went back this weekend and they had almost no shotguns and were low on rifles. Range ammo for 9, 40 and 45 were nonexistant. Hollowpoints were available... Plenty of rifle ammo.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Peronally I think its panic... people stockpiling ammo due to fear of an ammo tax or something. Its been happening since Nov 7 around here. Back in 94 was the same thing... if the feds or state really wanted people to stop buying firearms all they need to do is flip a switch... no background checks = no firearms.

There's always some ammo available on Gunbroker.com. I've been placing what I consider to be reasonable bids on cases of 9mm, .45 Auto, and .308 without much luck. A non-scientific survey over the last few weeks show that 1000 round cases of 9mm 115 gr FMJ are selling regularly around $400. 4 months ago I could pick up cases of S&B for $210 delivered. Same time frame, I was able to pick up a 1000 round case of Fiocci .45 Auto 230 gr for $350 delivered. Now you can't get a case of anything similar for less than $575. I managed to get some MFS nickle-plated steel cased .308 ball from PSA just before Christmas at $0.52/round delivered (long gone and just shipped today), and was able pick up 7.62 NATO surplus for about the same price a year ago. Now everything is selling for $1.00-$1.10 per round. In short, if you are sitting on a stockpile, you can make some money. If you are looking to stock up, be prepared to pay.

I've found some good case-lot prices on new ammo, but it's backordered until late May or later. I will probably pre-buy a couple of cases of everything since the prices are not out of line. I hate the idea of not being able to practice, so I feel for those who don't buy in bulk and only have a box or two to last them through this patch.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I found Glock 19 magazines in an LGS a couple weeks ago, and bought every one they had...both of them.
    Hoarder!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Strictly pure panic buying IMO. I can say though that 7.62x39 ammo sort of fell off the map right after elections. Then all the other ammo started to really disappear right after Newtown. Homeland Security bought ammo, but it was only .223 and .40S&W JHP.

I wonder if the HLS FEMA, et all, new this was coming and that is why they purchased millions of rounds months ago?

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links