Good news on gun control from an un-named Democrat - Page 4

Good news on gun control from an un-named Democrat

This is a discussion on Good news on gun control from an un-named Democrat within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Aceoky There will be no registration, Without use of the dealer records to know who is or is not going to comply ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Good news on gun control from an un-named Democrat

There is ALWAYS a loophole

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    There will be no registration, Without use of the dealer records to know who is or is not going to comply it' s a paper tiger, no teeth and they know it

The McClure-Volkmer Act is also known as the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA).

It prevents the government from creating a list of gun owners from dealer records.
    I am sure that it wouldn't be to hard for them to call the "list" something else, like "sales database recording resouces" and then say that the GAO needs to "maintain" this database for "future comparisions" or something. I am sure there will be some way to get around any restrictions the the McClure-Volkmer bill might appear to provide. As far as that goes, if they had the votes could they just call for a vote to repeal the McClure-Volkmer bill?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevTracy View Post
    You're missing the point...it has nothing to do with smoking...I used the analogy to show the tactics that anti-gun forces are using and continue to use.
    I got your point, it is just a poor analogy.
    TX expat likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Every single thing that I own that is "registered" with any government entity has the crap taxed out of it. And once you can't pay the taxes, they take it.
    9MMare and thephanatik like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    As announced on Good Morning Joe this AM..an un-named Democrat has reported their are no where near enough votes for any gun control measures that would include a weapons ban or mag ban. They have taken an internal poll and the votes ain't there for that kind of bill. Registration, background checks is about all they will get.

Re-load and carry on..............
    And we all know a politician would never lie to us.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Don't think the President can't get away with the executive order route, either. Executive orders are supposed to regard only the implementation of statutory authority given by Congress, but in recent years even the SCOTUS has begun to treat them as if they were the same thing as legislation. This has happened with Presidents of both parties, not just Dems, and this kind of thinking seems to be getting entrenched. The statutory authority requirement is another one of those things where incremental changes in the culture within the political/legal realm have cast us adrift from the Constitution.

Don't let your guard down here, folks. We have to plan on keeping this fire lit for (at least) the next four years.

Ill believe when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I got your point, it is just a poor analogy.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. It is the insidious nature and tactics of the anti-gun crowd that I am pointing out and the analogy does that.
    d2jlking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Un-named Democratic sources have more credibility than the drama we are watching unfold before our eyes?
    Exactly. No use grasping at this one straw of hope.

I'll wait to see what happens.

Nice to hear tho, thank you for posting it OP.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Since they don't read any of the bills anymore, they will just pass a bunch of bills so that we can find out what's in it...such as gun bans, magazine bans, round limits, gun registration, confiscation, etc.

They will get the infringements passed one way or the other and you should expect them to hide the infringements in bills which contain unrelated legislation.
    Not only that, they pass stuff they have no idea how to enforce or institute....like the new marijuana laws. Granted those are at the state level but we see them do stuff like that here...pass bills and then try to figure out how they should work or how they can carry them out.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

"The McClure-Volkmer Act is also known as the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986"

This corruption of law and common sense only ruled that it is illegal for the federal govt to keep a database on firearms and owners, it was a smoke screen to shut up the citizenry while they did it anyway, so the feds did an end run by funding state govts to do it for them and under the information sharing laws they have access to those databases. All your NICS checks go through your state police or other state LE agency which is connected to the FBI DHS and who knows what else these days. That state agency keeps your records on file.. on such a date you purchased a rifle, handgun etc.. just enough detail to know enough.. do the research and believe what they do not what they say.

Lies, more lies and damned lies.

Quote Originally Posted by RevTracy View Post
    Geez...you guys are not seeing the point! It is not about smoking or smoker's rights. I'm not making a connection between "rights" of a gun owner and "rights" of a smoker. However, because tobacco is a legal substance there is no reason to go to the extremes that the anti-smoking crowd has gone. The logical answer would have been to make tobacco an illegal substance, but they couldn't. So they placed restrictions on smoking. Similarly, gun ownership is legal and more importantly a Constitutional right...thus, outlawing guns is even more outrageous. But making them "illegal" in one draconian law will be impossible, so the anti-gun crowd will place restrictions. That is my point...and as I said, I'm not a smoker nor do I condone smoking.
    Interesting. I do see your point.

Here's where I see a difference in your analogy....the smoke generated by a smoker affects those around them. Even in a special area or out in front of a business...we have to walk thru it or by it. And cigarettes smokers shot themselves in the foot by leaving butts all over those areas, even with receptacles (in many places). So there was an impact on the general public.

Guns in the home and guns in the hands of legal permit holders in public should have zero impact on others around them in the normal course of the day.

But I do understand the incremental and insidious creep of restrictions on smokers and totally see that as a possibility re: guns.
    Fortune favors the bold.

keep the pressure on you're congressmen and send them emails.go to rally a you're state capital if you can. we must unite or we will fall.

Someone tell me why I need to beleive anything a Democrat says about a gun control bill again?

What bothers me is the Republicans keep caving. Debt ceiling etc........... Boehner makes a big show and gives him what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I am sure that it wouldn't be to hard for them to call the "list" something else, like "sales database recording resouces" and then say that the GAO needs to "maintain" this database for "future comparisions" or something. I am sure there will be some way to get around any restrictions the the McClure-Volkmer bill might appear to provide. As far as that goes, if they had the votes could they just call for a vote to repeal the McClure-Volkmer bill?
    Well, they can't make new laws that conflict with existing laws, as for repealing it, that would have to come first and it contains some "drug stuff" I doubt they'll remove. Point being national registration would be a direct violation as things are now.

Does this mean I "trust them" - NO not at all, however we still live in a Republic last I checked, making "what they want to do" not as simple as they wish

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links