Number of exhibitors withdrawing from Outdoor Show continues to climb - Page 3

Number of exhibitors withdrawing from Outdoor Show continues to climb

This is a discussion on Number of exhibitors withdrawing from Outdoor Show continues to climb within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wish we could get a list and email address of the companies that pulled out so I could send them some thank you letters...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Number of exhibitors withdrawing from Outdoor Show continues to climb

VIP Member
    I wish we could get a list and email address of the companies that pulled out so I could send them some thank you letters
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

From the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show web site, comment by Reed Exhibitions on January 24th:

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Exhibitions' rationale for canceling the Feb 2 show
    Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

“It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.

“ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates.”

More than 300 of 1000+ exhibitors pulled out. That's at least one-fourth of their exhibitors putting their money where their mouths were. "Small percentage," indeed.

In short: it's not about "hunting and fishing." It's about our very lives and our protection of them, about our rights as citizens, and about who's with the citizens in these attacks against our Constitutionally-protected liberties.

Trouble is, there's no real way for them to exclude products they deem (for whatever reason) aren't related or applicable to hunting/fishing. Those excluded vendors and products will feel snubbed. And with AR's such a large portion of the overall firearms-related market these days, I can't help but wonder who at Reed Exhibitions imagined it couldn't backfire on them.

That being said, I feel for them, if their focus is truly on the hunting and fishing outdoor sports. It's tough to be so firearms-oriented as a show without becoming a part of the 2A-related fight that's going on. Bummer that they opted to cave to the PC concept of cutting out the AR-related products from their show, in such an environment. I'm sure they were doing it to hopefully sidestep criticisms about hosting something involving such products, but biting the hand that feeds them isn't going to yield predictable results. Oops.

Unfortunately for them, and any other business in this industry, it comes down to this: you're either pro-liberty or you're not. And the citizens into hunting, fishing, defense related products are going too largely see it that way. Time to take a stand.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RKM
    I went to this show last year. But since I'm not a hunter, I wasn't really impressed.

They screwed up. They can claim that their decision only had to do with keeping the show strictly hunting and fishing related, keeping true to tradition. But we can all be nearly certain as to why they made this decision.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I'm glad to see that they had to 'rethink' that decision. Perhaps we have some impact after all. Now, if only the politicians would listen.

Go figure the CEO is a Brit,probably rubs shoulders with Piers Morgan.
    Postponed? LOL The vendors lost a bunch of money on Advertising and Expenses,If It was me I wouldn't give them my business in the future either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Go figure the CEO is a Brit,probably rubs shoulders with Piers Morgan.
    Postponed? LOL The vendors lost a bunch of money on Advertising and Expenses,If It was me I wouldn't give them my business in the future either
    I think a case could be made that the organizer of the show caused material harm to the vendors due to the firestorm of controversy they created with their (essentially) anti-gunner/PC position. I'm sure that more than a few of the vendors are going to push hard for recompense of at least their initial payments/fees, if not all the ancillary costs they've incurred.

Either way, the organizer is on notice in the entire industry that such behavior won't be taken any other way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links