Today's letter to the editor: - Page 2

Today's letter to the editor:

This is a discussion on Today's letter to the editor: within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by KBSR I like your letter oakchas, though I'd opt for retired law enforcement and or retired or separated military troops, who will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Today's letter to the editor:

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I like your letter oakchas, though I'd opt for retired law enforcement and or retired or separated military troops, who will need jobs in this failing economy.

Your effort to change the way the media thinks about these situations (It has to be the gun) is applauded here.
    Separated military this year... Experienced folks can and should be the first applicants looked at for the permanent position... and a civilian (teacher, admin, or janitorial/maintenance) or two, or more, within the school as a fail-safe, certainly couldn't hurt... with training...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Separated military this year... Experienced folks can and should be the first applicants looked at for the permanent position... and a civilian (teacher, admin, or janitorial/maintenance) or two, or more, within the school as a fail-safe, certainly couldn't hurt... with training...
    Roger that. Training could be quick for the military and law enforcement as they already possess some of the skill sets necessary. Two or three weeks at the longest I'd bet. School administrators, custodians and teachers will take a bit longer, if they don't already have the skills. Doing a proper background investigation on the new hires will take longer than anything, but it too could be expedited if we're serious about doing this right.

Good job. I'm going to author a letter to the editor here, following the same thought process. Like you, I doubt they'll print it, but I'll know I sent it.

Be safe.
    oakchas likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    While I don't advocate completely doing away with any and all security measures in every facet of life, I think we need to understand what's happening here. It seems we as a society are becoming more comfortable with and more dependent on someone else looking out for our safety. The argument could be made that as security measures become more prevalent, personal liberty and privacy decrease. One obvious example: we are searched head-to-toe and our belongings examined if we want to get on an airplane for vacation. If you consider safety in exchange for liberty and privacy to be an acceptable trade-off, then that's your choice. I would consider that unacceptable because I greatly value those things.

My response to your suggestions is this: Let's not have the military and/or law enforcement set up post at every school in the country. Let's not retrofit educational buildings with TSA-style body scanners and implement pat-down procedures (if that's what you're implying). These would be horrendously expensive measures and would fall squarely on the already overburdened taxpayer. Would everyone want to pay for that? And I'm not sure how effective the measures you're suggesting would be. Our children might be safer, they might not. Many of the little ones might even be afraid that their school looks like a prison with armed guards and "barriers."

I respect your position but more security is not always the best approach.
    Full body scanners are not necessary, nor are pat downs. Metal detectors are already in many schools. Photo ID is in many schools... a magnetic strip with a simple swipe in, is not over-security. A metal detector is not over security. An armed resource Officer in every school is not too much to ask... and may, as at Columbine (though, I believe unarmed) prove ineffectual.... But a discretely armed teacher, administrator, or lowly janitor, or several... may indeed be all it takes... with little or no appearance of a Militarized... or prison like zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Terrorists count a win if they can change they way we go about our lives. People routinely subjected to their insanity stubbornly refuse to do so. Why are Americans so desperate to relinquish their normal lives (and other's rights) to protect against the exceedingly rare, indefensible acts of madmen?
    I don't like terrorists to win either... and we don't suffer under constant assault from them as the Israeli do... But, having barriers in place to stop unauthorized entry, and a few armed folks around a school does not change our "way of life" in a significant way. And would defend against, or at the least deter, the "indefensible."

If you believe as you are expressing... why carry a concealed weapon at all.. To protect against the rare, indefensible act of a criminal? Are you changing the way you went about your life before you chose to be armed?

Condition white (as much as I hate those types of labels) is a wonderful place to be, until it isn't.
    niks likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Re: Today's letter to the editor:

Terrorists incite terror. Killing is only a means to that end. Most people don't want to *****-foot to the result they want, so they do it as hard and fast as possible, hence the extremism. They can only he stopped of other give an "equal and opposite reaction" to said initial force. Gets to sounding a lot like physics.

More to the point, generally I agree with the editorial. Again, specifics I don't totally agree with are contained within, but by in large, I agree with you.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links