Response from Illinois Sheriff

This is a discussion on Response from Illinois Sheriff within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After reading ErnieNWillis' thread yesterday about his letter to and response from his county Sheriff I decided to write my Sheriff as well. I used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Response from Illinois Sheriff

After reading ErnieNWillis' thread yesterday about his letter to and response from his county Sheriff I decided to write my Sheriff as well. I used the basic wording of Ernie's email (hope you don't mind!) and reworded it a bit to fit my state (Illinois). I sent the email last night and already received a response this morning. You can read it below:

"Mr. Clark,
    Thank you for your concern and interest in these matters. First, I do believe in and have always been a proponent of the 2nd amendment of the Bill of Rights to our Constitution. Not unlike you, I do have frustrations with our State as it pertains to addressing what I believe to be a constitutional right guaranteed to it's citizens. As you probably know, Cook County and the city of Chicago have a different view, and rightfully so. The effect of a concealed carry law would be substantially different in those areas compared to the "downstate" areas. With that being said, I do support a concealed carry law. Your second point goes to the thought of federal legislation and certain Sheriffs claiming they would not enforce any new federal laws. While I think this is very premature, (we do not even know the outcome of the President's proposals) I do not know if these Sheriffs can legally do this. More importantly, I do not know if this is a wise strategy given all of the gridlock that surrounds us in all of our government. Extreme positions are typically unproductive, but when they have results those results are usually extreme. I find most of this from all parties involved (including the Sheriffs) to be political posturing based upon the most recent tragedy in Conneticut. A comprehensive apporach to gun violence needs to occur, but do I believe limiting the size of a magazine will be benificial? Unless someone can provide substantial evidence to the contrary, no. However, if placing limits on the size of a magazine is a trade off for a good concealed carry law within our State, I may support it. As you can see, all of this talk is premature. Again, thanks for your concern and support. Please feel free to contact me"

While the Sheriff's response was more "firearm friendly" than I expected, it still didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Because he questions the legality of any Sheriff refusing to obey a confiscation order I get the feeling he would cave and proceed with confiscations if it actually came to that. Any thoughts on his response?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Guessing he likes his job, and wants to keep it.

Your sheriff is an elected politician, and this is as noncommittal as anything else a politician would say. I'd say he's either pandering to you or is personally conflicted on the matter.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Administrator
    Those who sit and wiggle on the fence not wanting to venture onto one side or the other sometimes end up with a fencepost up their ass.
    QKShooter 2013

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Those who sit and wiggle on the fence not wanting to venture onto one side or the other sometimes end up with a fencepost up their ass.
    QKShooter 2013
    QK, you silver tongued devil, you have such a way with words.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I would think that he is right about one thing...

...Cook County and the city of Chicago have a different view, and rightfully so. The effect of a concealed carry law would be substantially different ...
    Yep, a concealed carry law in Chicago would likely result in more criminals discovering the eternity of a room temperature/toes up situation. Not necessarily statistically more... but certainly numerically more than downstate.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    After reading ErnieNWillis' thread yesterday about his letter to and response from his county Sheriff I decided to write my Sheriff as well. I used the basic wording of Ernie's email (hope you don't mind!) and reworded it a bit to fit my state (Illinois). I sent the email last night and already received a response this morning. You can read it below:

"Mr. Clark,
    Thank you for your concern and interest in these matters. First, I do believe in and have always been a proponent of the 2nd amendment of the Bill of Rights to our Constitution. Not unlike you, I do have frustrations with our State as it pertains to addressing what I believe to be a constitutional right guaranteed to it's citizens. As you probably know, Cook County and the city of Chicago have a different view, and rightfully so. The effect of a concealed carry law would be substantially different in those areas compared to the "downstate" areas. With that being said, I do support a concealed carry law. Your second point goes to the thought of federal legislation and certain Sheriffs claiming they would not enforce any new federal laws. While I think this is very premature, (we do not even know the outcome of the President's proposals) I do not know if these Sheriffs can legally do this. More importantly, I do not know if this is a wise strategy given all of the gridlock that surrounds us in all of our government. Extreme positions are typically unproductive, but when they have results those results are usually extreme. I find most of this from all parties involved (including the Sheriffs) to be political posturing based upon the most recent tragedy in Conneticut. A comprehensive apporach to gun violence needs to occur, but do I believe limiting the size of a magazine will be benificial? Unless someone can provide substantial evidence to the contrary, no. However, if placing limits on the size of a magazine is a trade off for a good concealed carry law within our State, I may support it. As you can see, all of this talk is premature. Again, thanks for your concern and support. Please feel free to contact me"

While the Sheriff's response was more "firearm friendly" than I expected, it still didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Because he questions the legality of any Sheriff refusing to obey a confiscation order I get the feeling he would cave and proceed with confiscations if it actually came to that. Any thoughts on his response?

Dont mind at all.
    DJC7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    QK, you silver tongued devil, you have such a way with words.

Hey thats not fair. I once got an infraction for using that 3 letter word!
    Ksgunner likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    So become an administrator.
    1911_Kimber likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    You have to use it in an appropriate manner
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If I remember correctly ... Cook County has "Sheriffs Police"? I'm not sure they fall under the same criteria as a Constitutional Sheriff. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    QKShooter 2013
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety (Franklin)
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

And, FYI, this is for Rock Island County, IL on the Illinois/Iowa border.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post

"Mr. Clark,

^^ ^^^In bold^^^^^^^^

Is where he starts blowing smoke up you're backside,

Underlined is where he's really laying on the gas, and then it goes downhill from there..
    You need to ask him from what logical standpoint he is stating that Chicago & Cook co. residents should'nt need a CC permit, while the rest of the state "deserves one"
    He's waffling like a Sunday brunch.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

So if you live in a big city, no guns. Only people living in the farm country can be trusted not to shoot each other? So how many drive bys were reported on the farms last year compared to the gun free city of Chicago??
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links