Defensive Carry banner

Saxby Chambliss - Senator from Georgia

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  tangoseal 
#1 ·
Just received a response from Senator Chambliss:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been and remain a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. While I am certain that the president's proposal is well-intentioned, it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. It is likely that Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to receive timely e-mail alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov.

See less See more
#3 ·
"...it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected."

Actually, it's more the SCOTUS responsibility for that. It gets the final say so.

#8 ·
Actually, all members of Congress take the oath to support and defend the Constitution of which the Bill of Rights is part. So they really are supposed to protect our rights by the support of the Constitution and striving to pass constitutional law. SCOTUS ultimately decides the constitutionality of those laws passed by Congress and signed by the President. Sadly, IMHO, they all get it wrong all too frequently.

#5 ·
Sounds like he's trying to be a politician about it, but it sounds more pro-2A to me.

#6 ·
I'm sure he'll vote against all anti-gun moves, right before he votes for them.:puke:

If he was really a pro-gun believer, he would have said so.:hand1:

#7 ·
My two concerns with the letter are its attributions of "well intentions" of a scholar president who knows the history of government and the dangers to which it submits its citizens - even unintended dangers that come from "well intentions" - and the coming "dialogues" that are mostly of no legitimate substance of a government conceived in liberty unless that government now has a blank check on control of its citizens.
It is incumbent on me and my civic duty to remind my reps of the Constitutional constraints on government.

#11 ·
"I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes."

This is the BS line. The only legislation we will see will relate to firearms restrictions on law abiding citizens.

#16 ·
I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.
Id say this quote puts him in better standing than a lot of other senators.

Ill take what I can get right now.

#18 ·
Not really... Him and many other of our state representatives vote with whatever keeps them in office or gives them money. I was pretty ticked about the responses that I got from most representatives about the recent TSPLOST. They were practically giddy about taxing the junk out of us so that the DOT could waste even more money than they already do. Fortunately, most of the guys (minus a few reps in the Atlanta area) are pretty pro 2A. I wish Georgia would propose some bills similar to what is happening in Texas, Mississippi, Michigan, etc. to block potentially unconstitutional exec orders. Even if it is all for show. (edited for quoting)

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.