Saxby Chambliss - Senator from Georgia

This is a discussion on Saxby Chambliss - Senator from Georgia within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just received a response from Senator Chambliss: Dear Mr. : Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Saxby Chambliss - Senator from Georgia

Saxby Chambliss - Senator from Georgia

Just received a response from Senator Chambliss:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been and remain a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. While I am certain that the president's proposal is well-intentioned, it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. It is likely that Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to receive timely e-mail alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    So he didn't say he was for or against more needless gun legislation?
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected."

Actually, it's more the SCOTUS responsibility for that. It gets the final say so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    So he didn't say he was for or against more needless gun legislation?
    He's a long time politician; what more can I say?

- Anon

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Sounds like he's trying to be a politician about it, but it sounds more pro-2A to me.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I'm sure he'll vote against all anti-gun moves, right before he votes for them.

If he was really a pro-gun believer, he would have said so.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    My two concerns with the letter are its attributions of "well intentions" of a scholar president who knows the history of government and the dangers to which it submits its citizens - even unintended dangers that come from "well intentions" - and the coming "dialogues" that are mostly of no legitimate substance of a government conceived in liberty unless that government now has a blank check on control of its citizens.
    It is incumbent on me and my civic duty to remind my reps of the Constitutional constraints on government.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "...it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected."

Actually, it's more the SCOTUS responsibility for that. It gets the final say so.
    Actually, all members of Congress take the oath to support and defend the Constitution of which the Bill of Rights is part. So they really are supposed to protect our rights by the support of the Constitution and striving to pass constitutional law. SCOTUS ultimately decides the constitutionality of those laws passed by Congress and signed by the President. Sadly, IMHO, they all get it wrong all too frequently.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Please !!!!!!!!!! enough of these "I really ain't saying nothing" responses from congress and the Senate...they are all walking the fence waiting for the wind direction......"I will keep your thoughts in mind"......great but what do YOU BELIEVE.
    Crowbait likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I wrote the senator as well and guess what?....Got that same BS form letter as well. Johnny Isakson never has responded to my letters.

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes."

This is the BS line. The only legislation we will see will relate to firearms restrictions on law abiding citizens.

That is a seriously canned NON answer.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post
    I wrote the senator as well and guess what?....Got that same BS form letter as well. Johnny Isakson never has responded to my letters.

GeorgiaCarry
    Isn't Johnny the one that thinks the island will tip over if we station more troops there?

- Anon

We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded.
    Really???

How about you make certain that our rights and freedoms are never impeded, PERIOD!
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Actually it's the responsibility of all three branches to do that, though given their behavior since before you or I were even born, I wouldn't fault you for thinking otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links