U.S. Congressman Dr. Daniel Benishek

This is a discussion on U.S. Congressman Dr. Daniel Benishek within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From one of the good guys: Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Second Amendment. Hearing from constituents like you helps ...

Thread: U.S. Congressman Dr. Daniel Benishek

U.S. Congressman Dr. Daniel Benishek

From one of the good guys:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Second Amendment. Hearing from constituents like you helps me to better represent you in Washington.

First, no words can describe the tragedy that occurred on December 14, 2014. As a father and a grandfather, I extend my deepest condolences to the family and community of the victims. Understandably, this crime has sparked a national dialogue about whether there are steps we can take to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again. I do not pretend to have all the answers, but I believe that at its core the problem is not the absence of law, rather the lack of respect for human life and human dignity.

As you know, the Second Amendment codifies the individual right to keep and bear arms. I do not see how a criminal's actions have changed the meaning of our most sacred document. Law-abiding gun owners in Northern Michigan should not have their Second Amendment rights restricted because of the actions of criminals who are determined to hurt innocent people.

I believe the problem is much deeper and more complex than any of the current proposals contemplate. In my opinion, additional gun control measures such as the President has called for will have little impact on criminals. Criminals, by definition, are simply not law-abiding. Such measures will, however, have the most significant adverse effect on law-abiding citizens.

Please know that I intend to honor the oath I took to uphold the Constitution of the United States including the Second Amendment. We cannot allow the President to sidestep Congress. I am opposed to President Obama using Executive Orders to circumvent or change current law, and I will carefully review all legislation introduced in the 113th Congress.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share with me your opinion. Should you have any additional concerns, please feel free to contact my office at -----.

Sincerely,
    Dan Benishek M. D.
    Member of Congress

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for posting this. I am also in this guy's district and while I intend to finish my letters to everybody, I guess I'll focus on those who represent us in the Senate as Dr. Dan seems to really get it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bill Nelson he ain't! Be glad you have a staunch supporter of the Constitution in your state.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    MI is at a critical juncture, politically. Benishek beat out a middle of the road, straight party line Democrat. I point that out because I don't see McDowell as an ultra Progressive. Benishek seems pragmatic and principled. He's a great match with (MI) Sen. Casperson.

The UAW is losing its grasp of MI politics. The rest of the state is getting sick of Detroit rotting our state. Unfortunately, our Rep. governor is a neocon Rino. He steals from Dept. of Ed taxes to fund playoffs to business cronies. Still big government intervention, just funding his interest groups rather than more Progressive groups.

In the U.S. Senate, we still have to deal with Levin and Stab-a-cow. They've both responded to my letters stating they will strongly support "sensible" gun control "for the safety of our children".

I am also in Benishek's district and received the same response. Stabenow gave me the "I support gun control" BS response. Nobody else I wrote to has yet responded.

Stabenow, Levin and Snyder seem to be content with sitting in their guarded bunkers in Lansing and ignoring the upper part of the state. Michigan is not Detroit. Michigan does indeed extend further north than 60 miles from the Indiana/Ohio border. Glad to hear back from someone who realises this and truely represents us northerners and indeed the majority of Michigan.

Links