Response from Joe Wilson 2nd District, South Carolina

This is a discussion on Response from Joe Wilson 2nd District, South Carolina within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; January 22, 2013 Dear Stefan, Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the current gun control debate that has resulted from the recent tragedy at ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Samwolf

Thread: Response from Joe Wilson 2nd District, South Carolina

January 22, 2013

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the current gun control debate that has resulted from the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate your taking the time to contact me.

I understand your concerns and welcome your interest in this matter. I am deeply saddened and outraged by this senseless and hateful act of violence and my thoughts and prayers go out to the community of Newtown, Connecticut and the families who lost loved ones during this tragic event. As a husband and father of four sons, I strongly condemn these horrific acts of aggression and brutality.

As you are aware, the magnitude and sensitive nature of this tragedy has spurred a national debate about our Nation's gun laws and the rights granted to Americans by the Second Amendment of our Constitution. The right to bear arms has been a founding principle of our country since its inception over two centuries ago and the Supreme Court as recently as 2008 ruled that the Second Amendment right to bear arms is an individual right.

During my time in Congress, I have been a fervent supporter of the Second Amendment and have consistently fought to ensure that the rights afforded to law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms are upheld. I do not believe that weapons bans, confiscation, or heavy restrictions placed on responsible, legal gun owners is the answer. Such policies are not only an infringement on the Constitutional rights of peaceful, law-abiding citizens, but they do nothing to prevent ill-intentioned individuals from committing crimes.

Heinous criminal offenses, such as that which occurred at Sandy Hook, point to a much deeper and complex issue within our society that requires a concrete and carefully considered solution to prevent future tragedies. For example, as the former President of the Midlands Mental Health Association in South Carolina, I remain concerned about the services available to individuals who may pose a risk to others or themselves and feel that greater focus should be placed on those who may require attention.

I will continue fight to protect Second Amendment rights, and I look forward to working with my House colleagues in the 113th Congress to identify reasonable and effective methods to prevent further tragedies of this magnitude from occurring in our country in the future. Please be assured that I have taken note of your concerns and will keep them in mind should legislation pertaining to this issue come before me on the House floor during the 113th Congress.

It is an honor to represent the people of the Second Congressional District of South Carolina, and I value your input.

If I may be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

JOEWILSON.HOUSE.GOV

Sincerely,

Joe Wilson
    Member of Congress
    darbo and Rock and Glock like this.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Nice to hear...
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Sponsored Links