Equating MADD with "mothers against guns" - Page 2

Equating MADD with "mothers against guns"

This is a discussion on Equating MADD with "mothers against guns" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not a fan of MADD - they've lost their way. When their founder, Candy Lightner, left in 1985 she said MADD had "...become far more ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Equating MADD with "mothers against guns"

Not a fan of MADD - they've lost their way. When their founder, Candy Lightner, left in 1985 she said MADD had "...become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned... I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving". She has stated that the current goal of MADD is to reduce the DUI blood alcohol level to zero (BTW, the AMA originally suggested 0.15%.) They also successfully petitioned the courts to allow searches in violation of the 4th Amendment.

I wouldn't want a similar group "helping" in the violent crime area.
    Doghandler likes this.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    The reason MADD went against the driver is because the country had already gone through alcohol prohibition and realized it was a complete failure. I don't want the US to try gun prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The reason MADD went against the driver is because the country had already gone through alcohol prohibition and realized it was a complete failure. I don't want the US to try gun prohibition.
    And THAT truth is a fantastic simile...

Onerous gun control measures have been a nearly complete failure and certainly haven't stopped mass murder (Columbine, Norway)... Prohibition of guns entirely has been proven to increase violent crime (In Australia and the UK).

But I do want to see gun crime punished. Even more so than drunk driving.
    phreddy likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Very good post.

Just a point of order, I believe you meant from .1 to .08, not from .01 to .08.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

One Million Moms Lobby For Gun Control

One "million moms for gun control" is the groups latest buzz name for "mothers against guns." If you listen to the video she regurgitates the Obama party line on gun control. And around 3:30 she eludes to MM4GC modeling themselves after MADD.

Also there is MAGV ("Mothers Against Gun Violence"), their slogan is "Guns Don't Kill People, People Who Like guns Kill People." On their facebook page, they voice their creed.

We've had enough! The hand that rocks the cradle can change the world - just look at Mothers Against Drunk Driving and see what a difference they have made. Please "Like" this page and join the discussion to end gun violence that kills our children at school, at the movies, in the mall, and on the streets. I believe we can make a difference through:
    1. Public Policy
    2. Personal Attentiveness
    3. Perpetual Vigilance.
    One of their solutions on facebook inclue the following:

What if there were a 2-year mandatory buy-back program for semi-automatic (and fully automatic, as well) weapons, and if you were caught with them after that period, you were sentenced to life in prison?
    So they advocate firearm confiscation followed with a mandatory term of life in prison once a firearm is classified as illegal.

IMO both of these groups are very, very dangerous.

They are an enemy of the 2nd Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Notice MADD wasn't "Mothers Against Alcohol" it was "Mothers Against Drunk Drivers." Not ALL drivers, not cars, and not booze...but Drunk Drivers.
    Maybe in the beginning, but now MADD has very much morphed into a temperance movement. If you can't give your kid even a little bit of alcohol at dinner, very likely MADD was behind that legislation. And they're still trying to push BAC levels down, to 0.05% or below, which would functionally prohibit drinking of any amount before driving.

As I have heard from many of the fairer sex "You know what I mean and that wasn't it!"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Maybe in the beginning, but now MADD has very much morphed into a temperance movement. If you can't give your kid even a little bit of alcohol at dinner, very likely MADD was behind that legislation. And they're still trying to push BAC levels down, to 0.05% or below, which would functionally prohibit drinking of any amount before driving.
    I know right! I mean gone are the days when you can give your kid alcohol in public. Studip MADD.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    In many instances MADD has cheered on such practices
    as charging a person with drunk driving simply because they were found sleeping it off behind the wheel-- but not
    actually driving the vehicle. IT makes a certain sense to do it, but it isn't always right because sometimes it punishes
    someone who is actually trying to do the right thing.
    I don't see any sense to it. Somebody sleeping in a parked car isn't driving, ergo they shouldn't be charged with drunk driving. Penalizing people for doing the right thing is incredibly stupid. Law should have incentives to do the right thing, not disincentives.

Instead of just sleeping it off in the car, knowing they could still get a DUI charge they'll try to drive home, increasing the danger to everyone else. That's the kind of intended consequence a temperance movement would shoot for. The goal is to maximize the penalty for drinking per se, reducing danger to others is secondary and can be sacrificed to the primary goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I know right! I mean gone are the days when you can give your kid alcohol in public. Studip MADD.
    In some states you can't do it in private either.

VIP Member
    Isn't a group which touts itself as One Million Moms being less-than-honest when only four hundred of them show up at an event in one of the largest liberal strongholds on the entire planet?
    Gun Control | 1MM4GC | Moms Demand Action | One Million Moms For Gun Control Rally In NYC
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

D.A.M.M. ("Drunks Against Mad Mothers")
    Cazadores likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Maybe in the beginning, but now MADD has very much morphed into a temperance movement.....
    And that's why the founder of MADD left the organization a long time ago.

Shannon Watts Chairman of 1MMAG. I looked up her new nonprofit... onemillinonmomsforguncontrol.org I even posted a comment... to wit:

The firearm fired most at Columbine was FULLY COMPLIANT with the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.

The firearms that would be covered (most likely) in the soon to be proposed Assault Weapons Ban by D. Feinstein (look for it on Thursday, this week) are responsible for an insignificant (statistically speaking) amount of all firearms deaths in this country.

MADD was successful by going after the perpetrator... not the objects used. Cars have not been banned. Alcohol has not been banned. In fact, in most of this country you can use your vehicle for manslaughter while you are drunk... and get your license to drive back after your prison term, which is, in many cases, less than 10 years. And you can do it all over again.

The shootings in Sandy Hook and Aurora, and Columbine and most everywhere else for that matter, were perpetrated by madmen.

On the same day as Sandy Hook, a madman in China attempted to kill 22 students and an elderly woman with knives and an axe.

There are nearly as many incidents of armed school administrators and students actually stopping mass murders as there are successful mass murders.

I think your efforts would be better spent, just as they were with MADD, by enforcing stiffer penalties on those who commit crime with firearms, rather than focusing on the inanimate objects that in and of themselves do no harm.

I have available citations for all the facts I have presented... Though I have been led to believe that those who wish to ban guns have no interest in facts... they just want to feel like they're doing something... If you care to prove me wrong, reply to my statements asking for the citations.

I'll wait.
    While my comment is awaiting moderation, and I doubt that it will be posted... It is incumbent on me to try to change minds... "If I save one mind" it will have been worth it.

While I did use words (see my post on banning them), I did try to use them honestly...
    RoadKill and Doghandler like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Spot on. MADD went after the crime, detection and ways to deter. Anti-gunners go after the tool. While no group is perfect and I don't agree with all things MADD has pushed for, anti-gunners could learn much from MADD on rational response to practical change in a free society we intend to remain free.
    Bolded part will never happen.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links