Equating MADD with "mothers against guns" - Page 3

Equating MADD with "mothers against guns"

This is a discussion on Equating MADD with "mothers against guns" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker D.A.M.M. (" D runks A gainst M ad M others") Hey, I started that organization decades ago!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Equating MADD with "mothers against guns"

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    D.A.M.M. ("Drunks Against Mad Mothers")
    Hey, I started that organization decades ago!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    I don't see any sense to it. Somebody sleeping in a parked car isn't driving, ergo they shouldn't be charged with drunk driving. Penalizing people for doing the right thing is incredibly stupid. Law should have incentives to do the right thing, not disincentives.

Instead of just sleeping it off in the car, knowing they could still get a DUI charge they'll try to drive home instead, increasing the danger to everyone else. That's the kind of intended consequence a temperance movement would shoot for. The goal is to maximize the penalty for drinking per se, reducing danger to others is secondary and can be sacrificed to the primary goal.
    This is well OT, but I think the idea is that too many will sober up a tad and then try to drive while still legally drunk, so get them
    off the street.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This is well OT, but I think the idea is that too many will sober up a tad and then try to drive while still legally drunk, so get them off the street.
    Then why not wait until they actually try to drive? An easy score for a cop to wait and watch.

OT, I have no doubt that mothers against guns just wants to ban guns, just like MADD no longer really cares about driving and just wants to ban (or make terribly inconvenient) drinking alcohol.

VIP Member
    When I was in college, I think I was a member of that or something...it's all kind of fuzzy though.
    Last edited by 1MoreGoodGuy; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

GREAT = Gun Rights Enthusiasts Aganist Threats
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Great insight. I like the fact that MADD punished the driver, not the car. So responsible citizens can still drive, and bad citizens go to jail.

Still, MADD must keep their agenda rolling to keep the money coming. .10 was too low a threshold,.08 is ridiculous, especially knowing that they want NO ONE to drink ANY Alcohol ANYWHERE. Even in your own home. Still to just set a limit that applies to anyone regardless of their sex,size,maturity and tolerance is all about the money gained from our governments by way of fines and other monetary punishments. Flame if you want,but I've seen enough of this over the years to know. We really don't want them or anyone like them to jump on the bandwagon. I do see the OP's opinion though.

D.A.M. <--- Mothers Against Dyslexia
    Cazadores likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    - In nearly all states, the MADD influence reduced the threshhold of intoxication from 0.01% BAL to 0.08%.
    You mean reduced from .10% to .08%.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Very good post.

Just a point of order, I believe you meant from .1 to .08, not from .01 to .08.
    Correct indeed! I'm a numbers guy, but you probably wouldn't want me doing your taxes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Re: Equating MADD with "mothers against guns"

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Great insight. I like the fact that MADD punished the driver, not the car. So responsible citizens can still drive, and bad citizens go to jail.
    I see the OP and his idea, it is a good one. I also deplore MADD because it went from raising awareness of drunk driving to joining the legislative industry. Its goals were met long ago but if they stop, well, they have to find new jobs, and the easiest legislative relations job ever is over. Not hard to paint a legislator in the corner when pushing "common sense laws to get tough on drunks..."

Now we have administrative checkpoints where innocent drivers are stopped, interrogated, and or given tickets for non primary offenses. Citizens arrested on potentially career ending charges who lose their license without due process regardless of disposition of their criminal case for "intent to drive intoxicated" while sleeping in their cars, or criminalized for innocently having a happy hour beer with some coworkers.

I think we maybe should find a different model, as to me MADD is a lot of what is wrong with the anti gun establishment.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    In some states you can't do it in private either.
    It's a crazy world...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Outstanding analytical thought process, and you're SPOT ON!!!
    That's asking a little too much. She would actually have to think in orded to do that.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links