Wake County (Raleigh) North Carolina Sheriff says not to worry...

This is a discussion on Wake County (Raleigh) North Carolina Sheriff says not to worry... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good that he spoke up and his stance is that law abiding gun owners have nothing to worry about. I personally believe that nothing overly ...

Thread: Wake County (Raleigh) North Carolina Sheriff says not to worry...

Good that he spoke up and his stance is that law abiding gun owners have nothing to worry about.

I personally believe that nothing overly drastic or dramatic will get passed by Congress. But of course, ya never know.

If individual states, such as New York wish to pass stringent laws, that's a whole other matter.

Wake sheriff: Responsible gun owners shouldn't worry :: WRAL.com
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Good that he spoke up and his stance is that law abiding gun owners have nothing to worry about.

I personally believe that nothing overly drastic or dramatic will get passed by Congress. But of course, ya never know.

If individual states, such as New York wish to pass stringent laws, that's a whole other matter.

Actually, Sheriff Harrison just weaseled his way around the question, with I bunch of "I think" and "I believe" statements about what's likely to happen: (Emphasis is mine)

Harrison says he thinks gun owners are over-reacting to proposals that have little chance of passing Congress. He says he does believe there will be some changes to gun laws, changes he will enforce, but nothing that will prompt him to go door-to-door collecting guns.

"Are there going to be some changes? I feel like there are, because a lot of people want to see changes on both sides," he said. "I think some of the things that come out of this will be good, but I think there are a lot of people getting overly concerned about something that isn't going to happen."

Nowhere does he take a stand in favor of gun rights, or in opposition to gun control.

What would be meaningful would be a commitment similar to that by Sheriff Carter of Lee County (mentioned later in the article):

"Sometimes, all a man has is his word, so here's mine," he wrote on Friday. "I, Sheriff Tracy L. Carter, will never by use of force or any other means confiscate any firearms possessed by law-abiding citizens of Lee County."
    FWIW
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post

And criminals should worry even less... because whatever laws do pass, he won't enforce them on the criminals, until they get caught... Then, he'll enforce 'em.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    If we don't stand up, the day will come when it'll be a Catch-22 anyway; "We feel that anyone who would want to own a gun is mentally unstable, and our New York psychological team agrees. So therefore, banning them all won't affect the mentally stable people."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

At this juncture, I am not particularly concerned over the idea of confiscation. I am much more concerned over the some sort of ban or capacity limit. I guess if you were fortunate enough to become a 'gun nut' years ago you have already bought all you want. Many of us can't say that.

I think his message was worthless and amounted to 'I will do whatever the white house says to do".

Originally posted by noway2

I think his message was worthless and amounted to 'I will do whatever the white house says to do".
    Which depresses me no end...this summer I will become a Wake County resident. I miss Utah already.

I think Feinstien would love to go door-to-door if necessary and confisicate every gun anyone has . Why I believe that, because that's what she has said before, many times. However, on the other side, many Dem's that would like it... know it wouldn't pass, but with all of the "buying" of guns and ammo going on , I think their intent was to "scare people" into believing they might. It backfired on them, they expected the buying to slow down..... people wouldn't buy something if they might take it...... but they did and still are. That message, had to be clear to them......
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    At this juncture, I am not particularly concerned over the idea of confiscation. I am much more concerned over the some sort of ban or capacity limit...

Just curious - At what "juncture" will you start to become particularly concerned?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    "Sometimes, all a man has is his word, so here's mine," he wrote on Friday. "I, Sheriff Tracy L. Carter, will never by use of force or any other means confiscate any firearms possessed by law-abiding citizens of Lee County."

As I stated in another thread, when the ban happens, those firearms will be possessed by formerly law-abiding citizens who have become felons with the stroke of a pen on a legislative order.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Just curious - At what "juncture" will you start to become particularly concerned?
    Right now, except in a few places like NY, there is no serious talk of confiscation, talk which I think is absolutely over the top even in comparison to the absolutely over the top measures that are being proposed right now and will likely die without hitting the congressional floors. Right now, it remains in wacky land. Yes, certain entities are pushing that button and getting peoples peonies bunched up over it, but they are doing it for their own benefit and power gain more than anything else. If the day comes where confiscation is a reality, it is also going to be the day when those guns need to be used. Confiscation can not be allowed to happen.

Links