Washington (state) CeaseFire email

This is a discussion on Washington (state) CeaseFire email within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife & I just got this from a Seattle City Council member (Tim Burgess), and I wanted everyone in Washington state to be aware ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Washington (state) CeaseFire email

My wife & I just got this from a Seattle City Council member (Tim Burgess), and I wanted everyone in Washington state to be aware of it (maybe respond to Mr. Burgess, even if you're not a Seattle resident?).

---------

Poll: Washington Ready for Olympia to Act on Gun Safety

Washington CeaseFire unveiled a poll of statewide voter attitudes toward gun safety laws this afternoon. The results are remarkable and show that Washington voters across the political spectrum want Olympia to pass common sense gun safety laws today.

Conducted the first week of January by Alison Peters Consulting, a firm that serves both Republican and Democratic clients, the poll of 600 registered voters revealed wide and strong support for a variety of gun safety measures, including:
    • a state law to require that everyone who buys a gun at a gun show undergo a background check (87% in support);
    • a state law to increase mandatory penalties for youth firearm possession, starting with house detention at the first offense (68% in support);
    • a state law to ban semi-automatic assault weapons (66% in support);
    • a state law to limit ammunition clips on guns to 10 bullets (66% in support);
    • and a state law requiring the signature of local police on every concealed weapons permit application (66% in support).
    When broken down by region, Seattle residents were generally more supportive of these measures. Perhaps more surprising, though, is that each of these changes received majority support from those polled in Eastern Washington (the more conservative 4th and 5th Congressional Districts).

The fact is we are far more unified on this issue than the gun lobby would have us believe. This information should help legislators in Olympia overcome fears of any potential political backlash.

In December, the City Council amended the City’s lobbying agenda for this year’s state legislative session to include the following specific policy goals: a ban on all assault weapons; a ban on large capacity ammunition magazines; universal background checks, including at gun shows; trigger locks and safe storage requirements; and micro-stamping technology in all firearms sold, purchased or delivered in the state to improve the capability of police to trace fired bullets.

Washington law restrict cities from enacting their own gun safety regulations, so the City Council will continue to respectfully but persistently encourage our colleagues in the State Legislature to take action. My hope is that these survey numbers will spur other local officials across the state to do the same.

Councilmember Tim Burgess

Sad. Even sadder 66% voted on something they obviously know nothing about, including Tim Burgess....

• a state law to limit ammunition clips on guns to 10 bullets (66% in support);
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

How hard do you think it was for them to find 600 registered voters who knew little to nothing about the subject matter of the poll?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

where did these people come from? Just like where did they get the votes for Joe Jim Bobs hamburger joint having the best burgers. Go to Joe Jim Bobs and ask everyone there. Pole concluded. I hate a pole for this reason.
    cmdrdredd likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    a state law to limit ammunition clips on guns to 10 bullets (66% in support);
    Whew. I'm sure glad that none of my semi-auto pistols use CLIPS.

Can these idiots not get ANYTHING right?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I would support banning ALL 'clips' being used in any of my Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    What type of poll, telephone, TV? The polls can be skewed by using selected telephone prefixes, the wording of the question, time of day, after a breaking news stories about the same or a related subject, political party, and on and on. Polls are also time sensitive, this week the gun issue because of the recent rash of shootings, next week it may not be a gun issue and might be taxes, and if the same poll were to be taken again would reflect different results.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Dangerous fools.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Well I certainly hope that policy isn't made based on phone polls.

If politicians want feedback, they should go off of the calls, letters, and emails that are sent to them.

I think that opinions have more weight when they are unsolicited.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    How hard do you think it was for them to find 600 registered voters who knew little to nothing about the subject matter of the poll?

You mean like what Obama did?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When I first lived in WA (Spokane), Seattle was the Land of Granolas, who wanted nothing more than to eat organic foods and pour honey over everything. Totally harmless. Then came the great California Northern Migration. Seattle went to heck in a heartbeat. Lord help if they ever spread over the Cascades.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Conducted the first week of January by Alison Peters Consulting, a firm that serves both Republican and Democratic clients, the poll of 600 registered voters
    Pleeeze!

How were the questions phrased?
    What districts or precincts?
    Track record of Alison Peters Consulting?

Polls are a joke. Spinning a number is easily accomplished to favor or disfavor ANY agenda; it just depends who is spending the money for the poll.
    Pollsters don't work for free; do they?
    What issues does Alison Peters Consulting generally handle?

From their web page:

Many competitors do it differently. The typical research firm is based on a tiered staffing structure with a CEO perched at the top focusing exclusively on sales. We are different; we don't believe that model serves the client's best interest. In contrast, Alison is personally engaged in every project at every level of the research process.
    AllRighty then! Hmmmm? I wonder if she has any agenda? This stuff makes me ill.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When I first lived in WA (Spokane), Seattle was the Land of Granolas, who wanted nothing more than to eat organic foods and pour honey over everything. Totally harmless. Then came the great California Northern Migration. Seattle went to heck in a heartbeat. Lord help if they ever spread over the Cascades.
    We've got the same problem in OR.

Generally speaking, we're able to keep our side of the mountain sane, but the land of the madmen has the numbers.

Most clips I know of are 10 rounds or less.

You need 3 of them to fully load a standard capacity AR15 magazine.

Well thats freaking dandy, I knew washington was going to try to mimic the other corner like New York...

too many anti's running this state so this might be a tough one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links