Dumb/Dangerous Legislation in Gun Friendly Missouri

This is a discussion on Dumb/Dangerous Legislation in Gun Friendly Missouri within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; KANSAS CITY, Mo. — On the heels of the Sandy Hook tragedy, a Missouri state senator is pushing for the next step in gun control ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Dumb/Dangerous Legislation in Gun Friendly Missouri

VIP Member

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — On the heels of the Sandy Hook tragedy, a Missouri state senator is pushing for the next step in gun control in schools.
    Senator Maria Chapelle-Nadal proposed a bill making it mandatory for parents to notify their child’s school if they own a gun. She also wants to make failing to prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands an illegal offense.
    Chapelle-Nadal believes this law would encourage parents to make sure they store their guns safely in their home.
    A news conference is scheduled for noon in Jefferson City where the senator will release more details on the proposed legislation.

Mo. Senator Proposes Bill that Would Make Parents Notify School if They Own a Gun | fox4kc.com ? Kansas City news & weather from WDAF TV FOX 4
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

What exactly would the school do with that information? Wouldn't the next logical step be to have a school official come in and inspect?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I suspect that this Senator is into tumbling, and during one of her forward 'rolls' her head got 'stuck'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Found the actual bill.

SB124 - Creates the crimes of failing to stop illegal firearm possession, negligent storage of a firearm, and failure to notify a school of firearm ownership

SB 124 - This act creates the offense of failing to stop illegal firearm possession. A person commits the offense if he or she is the parent or guardian of a child under the age of 18, he or she knows the child possesses a firearm in violation of the law, and he or she fails to stop the possession or report it to law enforcement.

The offense is a Class A misdemeanor unless death or injury results from the firearm possession in which case it is a Class D felony.

This act also creates the offense of negligent storage of a firearm. A parent or guardian of a child under the age of 18 commits the offense by recklessly storing or leaving a firearm in a manner that is likely to result in the child accessing the firearm if the child obtains access to the firearm and unlawfully carries it to school, kills or injures another person with it, or commits a crime with it.

A firearm that is in a secure location or locked is not considered to be recklessly stored or left in a manner likely to result in the child accessing the firearm.

The offense is a Class A misdemeanor unless the child kills or injures another person in which case it is a Class D felony.

The parent or guardian of a child injured or killed by a firearm may only be prosecuted for negligent storage of a firearm if he or she was grossly negligent.

This act requires a parent or guardian to notify a school district, or the governing body of a private or charter school, that he or she owns a firearm within 30 days of enrolling the child in school or becoming the owner of a firearm.

The written notification only needs to include the names of the parent and any child attending the school and the fact that the parent owns a firearm.

A person only needs to send one written notification if he or she has multiple children attending the school or becomes the owner of additional firearms. Any time a new child is enrolled in a school the parent or guardian must send an updated notification with the new child's name.

Failure to notify the school under this act is an infraction, punishable by a fine of up to $100. If a person is found guilty of negligent storage of a firearm and has failed to notify the school of firearm ownership, the person must be fined $1,000 in addition to any other penalties authorized by law.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Pftt. Whatever!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    What exactly would the school do with that information? Wouldn't the next logical step be to have a school official come in and inspect?
    Naw, the next step would be to publish that information on some moronic liberal rag's website because they'll request it under some 'freedom of information' act.
    mulle46 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Typical clueless libtards.

Next....
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

This is what we face... Even in "gun friendly" states.

It probably won't pass, maybe... But it might.

"They" are trying every thing they can to make end around plays....

They use tactics that make it seem like they care about the kids.... and honestly, they probably do. They try to come up with "common sense" plans to stop gun violence. On the surface, they even sound "reasonable."

Most of our representatives, in my opinion, don't have an "agenda."

They really think they are trying to work for the "public good."

It degrades from there....

Then they start to think they are working "in the public interest."

Then they start thinking they are working for the "good of the public."

Then they think that what they do is for "your own good."

And then, they become Feinstein. "You do what I say, I do what I want." "I am right, you are wrong."

Etc... you know the drill.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    The first portions of the proposed bill made some sense; the part about securing them.
    The part about notifying school officials is inane.

As someone else posted, what would the school do with that information? The proposed legislation
    gives no clue.

I bet Mr. Retsupt would just have loved to have another filing cabinet full of notes from mom and dad---
    of course he would have then gone and asked those with firearms at home to go shooting with him.

Uh, maybe the hidden purpose here is to amass a list of parents who can come protect the school?
    Think not.
    Brad426 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Wonder if the children of the right-wing extremists would be segregrated and attend special classes? Hell they may get special treatment each morning on the way into school.
    Last edited by joker1; January 24th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The GOP controls the Missouri Senate by a margin of 24 to 10
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Wonder if the children of the right-wing exteremists would be segregrated and attend special classes? Hell they may get special treatment each morning on the way into school.
    There was that thread posted about a college that was segregating students with firearms into special dorms. Though that wasn't IIRC due to any legal requirement to inform.

So, your idea isn't that far-fetched about what could happen down this slippery slope. All it would take is an enterprising administrator, the FOIA and a school board turning a blind eye because they believe such handling is in the best interests of the children.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another attempt to look into our private lives. Well if that passes I want a bill that lets the schools know of any prescription drugs in the childs home, any mental illness treatments of anyone in the family, if anyone is seeking psychological treatment, what you feed your child each day, and if there has ever been a police report, child services call, or domestic dispute in the home. Lets see how people like having their private lives shared. And we can start with our legislators! I'll bet there are a few skeletons in those closets!
    buckfynn and joker1 like this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Pftt. Whatever!

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

They can have the $100..

If they bust me.
    Who the H. E. Double Hockey Sticks do they think they are?
    I would just neglect any such nonsense.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    How do these people get anywhere in life with such flawed thought processes.
    TX expat likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links