Utah Proposing "Constitutional Carry" in Lieu of Permits - H.B. 76

This is a discussion on Utah Proposing "Constitutional Carry" in Lieu of Permits - H.B. 76 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Proposal: No permit needed to carry concealed weapon in Utah | ksl.com...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Rcher
  • 1 Post By randian
  • 1 Post By xXxplosive

Thread: Utah Proposing "Constitutional Carry" in Lieu of Permits - H.B. 76

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    While I like that, it would reduce options for non-resident permits people need.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    While I like that, it would reduce options for non-resident permits people need.
    Most states passing constitutional carry maintain issuance of state CCWs just for those that want to travel out of state.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    It appears that a Utah CFP would still be required if you wanted to carry concealed on school property. Schools are not gun free zones in Utah. I believe Utah will continue to issue permits so that we may still carry concealed in other states that recognize the Utah permit. Not all the "I's" have been dotted or the "T's" crossed yet. This is just a proposal before the House.

What this really does is allow anyone inside the boundaries of Utah state lines to carry concealed as long as certain legal restrictions are met (ie: not a convicted felon and over 21). If you are legal to purchase, you can carry concealed. It's basically allowing the "right to keep and bear arms" as provided by the 2nd Amendment.

At this time, I dont think Utah will stop the CFP system as they have written reciprocity agreements with other states. I also believe that Utah will want their residents to be able to carry in other states as well. The Utah permit has been one of the most highly regarded permits (along with Florida) in the country. I dont think they want to throw that money away.

We will have to wait and see how the vote goes ....
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Is it written to require "a concealed weapons permit" or "a Utah concealed weapons permit" for school carry? It matters for non-residents with reciprocal permits.
    SigPapa226 likes this.

I'm startin' to really like Utah........sorry there's no ocean near them.
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Got Lake Powell though, which is a pretty nice body of water.

Love my state.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    It's both sub-freezing in the winter and 90+ in the summer Ranks high on business and tax surveys, though.

Originally posted by randian
    Is it written to require "a concealed weapons permit" or "a Utah concealed weapons permit" for school carry? It matters for non-residents with reciprocal permits.
    If I remember correctly, K-12 schools are Gun-Free Zones per Federal Law. However, the feds allow an exemption for any resident with a valid CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit). So, in Utah you would need to be a resident and possess a valid Utah CFP. With a valid permit, Utah residents can carry openly or concealed on school grounds. Utah also allows open or concealed carry on the campuses of any state university. (University presidents and campus police frown on open carry, and have hassled open carriers in the past.) Private universities (BYU for instance) can ban the carrying of firearms on their campuses.

Non-resident Utah CFP holders are not allowed to carry on the grounds of K-12 schools, per federal law.

Sponsored Links