Response from Congressman Barrow-GA

This is a discussion on Response from Congressman Barrow-GA within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wrote a letter a few weeks ago to my congressmen and senators. I've posted other responses here. Today I received an actual paper letter ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KoriBustard

Thread: Response from Congressman Barrow-GA

Response from Congressman Barrow-GA

I wrote a letter a few weeks ago to my congressmen and senators. I've posted other responses here. Today I received an actual paper letter from Rep. Barrow (D-GA, 12th District). I appreciated getting an actual letter in the mail.

"Dear Mr. <Last Name>,

"Thank you for contacting me about gun control legislation.

"We need to do everything we can to prevent tragedies such as the mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, from happening again. But we also need to make sure that any attempt at a legislative solution actually solves the problem at hand.

"Almost a decade ago the federal government ended a 10-year ban on the manufacture of certain semi-automatic rifles for civilian use. That ban didn't work, and I cannot support something that's been tried and didn't work. But we must take a closer look at giving those who suffer from mental illness the care and treatment they need to prevent them from using firearms to harm others.

"Thanks again for caring enough to get involved, and please don't hesitate to contact me again in the future.

"Sincerely,

John Barrow"
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I'm very lukewarm to this letter. He's saying that he won't support a ban just because the last one didn't work, but nothing about Constitutional rights.

So I guess he'll do the right thing for the wrong reason.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I recently received an email response from my state representative, a democrat and fairly liberal. I don't wish to post her response in full here but will say that even in this liberal state of Massachusetts, there are legislators who are fair and open-minded. She indicated how important it is for "people like you [me] to be out in front and put a real face on gun ownership." She further said that she has "received [email] from folks who ask me to support making our laws stricter (or even banning guns) [that] have no idea that their friends and neighbors are probably legal and law abiding gun owners."

Please, contact your state and federal legislators, regardless of what you think their position may be, and politely and respectfully encourage them support our 2A rights.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Links