Sandy Hook Elementary School Violence Reduction Act is part of Reidís first 10 bills

This is a discussion on Sandy Hook Elementary School Violence Reduction Act is part of Reidís first 10 bills within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As expected: Reid Unveils First 10 Bills : Roll Call News Reid Unveils First 10 Bills By Humberto Sanchez Roll Call Staff Jan. 22, 2013, ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By phreddy

Thread: Sandy Hook Elementary School Violence Reduction Act is part of Reidís first 10 bills

VIP Member

Thumbs down Sandy Hook Elementary School Violence Reduction Act is part of Reidís first 10 bills

As expected:

Reid Unveils First 10 Bills : Roll Call News

Reid Unveils First 10 Bills

By Humberto Sanchez
    Roll Call Staff
    Jan. 22, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

In an effort to lay down a marker for the first phase of their agenda, Senate Democrats have announced the first 10 measures of the new Congress, including anti-school violence proposals and immigration reform legislation.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on the Senate floor that the bills are informed by Democrats’ desire for “a strong middle class” and “the pursuit of fairness for all Americans, regardless of where they were born or the color of their skin, regardless of the size of their bank accounts, regardless of their religion or their sexual orientation.”

“Those principles will direct our course as we introduce our first 10 bills today — a tradition in the United States Senate — and as we mend our broken immigration system, strengthen our schools and rebuild our roads and bridges,” the Nevada Democrat said.

SNIP
    -----

Reid: 'We're not going to run from' gun debate - Ginger Gibson - POLITICO.com

Reid: 'We're not going to run from' gun debate

By GINGER GIBSON | 1/22/13 5:10 PM EST
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he’s committed to moving gun legislation and will offer all senators the change to amend the bill on the floor.

“This is an issue that we’re not going to run from, this is an issue we need to talk about,” Reid said Tuesday afternoon. “I hope what we can do is have a bill reported out of the Judiciary Committee. It may not be everything everybody wants, but I hope it has some stuff in it that’s really important. And then I expect to have free amendments on the floor.”

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs down Biden, Kaine to talk gun safety in Richmond -- Friday

For the folk in Virginia also see:

Biden, Kaine to talk gun safety in Richmond - wdbj7.com

Biden, Kaine to talk gun safety in Richmond

The vice president and Senator Tim Kaine will speak in Richmond on Friday

David Seidel Assignment Manager

4:27 p.m. EST, January 23, 2013

RICHMOND, Va.ó

Vice President Joe Biden will pitch the administration's gun safety proposals in Richmond on Friday. The location and time of the event have not yet been announced.

An email from the White House says Biden will be joined by Senator Tim Kaine and other administration officials. The purpose of the trip, according to the email, is to discuss the administration's efforts to reduce gun violence.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Sandy Hook Elementary School Violence Reduction Act
    Well, it sounds good, at least.

With regard to gun regulations, Reid mentioned legislation that strikes the right balance between “the right to bear arms with the right of every child to grow up safe from gun violence.”
    There is a right to keep and bear arms.

There is no right to be safe from this or that risk of being alive in this world.

There is a responsibility to do what we can within the law and Constitution to go after criminals and to protect and defend ourselves against criminals.

And there is a little bitty OATH that these folks took to protect and defend the Constitution. They might not remember it. We do. I propose a little change to Senate and House procedure: required that every daily session of congress be opened with a signed reaffirmation of the Oath and reading of the Oath to the full Senate or House body (or, at least that portion of the members who bothered to wake up and attend that day).

“But not a single piece of important legislation can pass the Senate or become law without the votes of both Democrats and Republicans,” Reid said. “So we will also be willing to compromise and to work with our colleagues across the aisle.”
    Good. Start compromising your baseless principles on gun control right now. Yield. There is no compromise on subverting the Constitution. None.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I have a hypothesis. The more "feel good" the title of the bill, the more freedom it takes away.
    BugDude and peckman28 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I have a hypothesis. The more "feel good" the title of the bill, the more freedom it takes away.
    Well, it's more than occasionally been true in the past. No reason to doubt a winning formula.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry, I wish I could be upbeat about this, but I ain't...something is going down in DC, and gun rights are the main course. Reid is ready to retire, he doesn't care about re-election. I hope I'am wrong...
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

VIP Member
    ccw9mm wrote in post 3:
    Good. Start compromising your baseless principles on gun control right now. Yield. There is no compromise on subverting the Constitution. None.
    Problem of course is that once the ill thought out Heller case went to The Supremes, the Supremes
    interpreted 2A (as is their job) in a manner not particularly favorable to a purist interpretation of 2A.

So is the author of the Heller decision, Justice Scalia, one of those you believe is a subversive? Or, do you want
    to throw 200 + years of jurisprudence down the drain? How about those who concurred with the decision? Thomas?
    Is he a subversive in your mind?

Like it or not, the Heller decision made clear that government may regulate, and that regulation isn't necessarily
    infringement. "Justice Jackson said once that we're not final because we are infallible, we are infallible because we are final." A Supreme Court justice offers a view from the top
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    So is the author of the Heller decision, Justice Scalia, one of those you believe is a subversive? Or, do you want to throw 200 + years of jurisprudence down the drain? How about those who concurred with the decision? Thomas? Is he a subversive in your mind?
    Yes, I believe subversion of the intent of the Constitution is just that, and that much of it should be shoved down the flusher for cause. (And not just things related to sidestepping of the 2A, either.) Sure, not very practical or likely. Nor is prosecution for actively working to do the exact opposite of protecting and defending the Constitution, as is the case of many (most?) of our temporarily-elected hirelings in Congress. JMHO.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes, I believe subversion of the intent of the Constitution is just that, and that much of it should be shoved down the flusher for cause. (And not just things related to sidestepping of the 2A, either.) Sure, not very practical or likely. Nor is prosecution for actively working to do the exact opposite of protecting and defending the Constitution, as is the case of many (most?) of our temporarily-elected hirelings in Congress. JMHO.
    Doing their job of interpreting our constitution is not subversion merely because you or I or many here don't agree with their
    decision.

And, btw, the Justices are unelected, nominated by a President and confirmed by the US Senate, as provided for
    in our constitution.

All is fully in accord with our constitutional system even when we don't like the results.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Doing their job of interpreting our constitution is not subversion merely because you or I or many here don't agree with their decision.
    Likewise, that interpretations are made doesn't mean the decisions aren't subverting the meaning and intent. That such legislation is floated (ie, bans) doesn't mean it isn't subverting the meaning and intent.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bohica
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links