Disappointing - Response from WI Congressman Sensenbrenner

This is a discussion on Disappointing - Response from WI Congressman Sensenbrenner within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just received this from my Republican Congressman. Not at all what I had hoped for, and not good if we're hoping that the House will ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By soonershoote
  • 3 Post By airslot
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By SpringerXD

Thread: Disappointing - Response from WI Congressman Sensenbrenner

Just received this from my Republican Congressman. Not at all what I had hoped for, and not good if we're hoping that the House will block legislation that makes it through the Senate:

I share your grief and outrage over the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut. My heart goes out to the families impacted by this senseless tragedy. It is baffling to think what could cause an individual to inflict this kind of pain on fellow human beings, let alone defenseless children.

In the wake of such violence, we naturally want answers. We also want to know what can be done to prevent such tragedies in the future. As the President said, no set of laws will prevent every future horrific act of violence or eliminate evil from our society, but we can do better. As someone who sponsored the Brady bill, I support reasonable measures to keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons and the mentally ill. I look forward to having an honest debate about these issues in the weeks and months ahead, and will keep in mind your views during this process.

Thanks again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

F. JAMES SENSENBRENNER, JR.
    Member of Congress

Senior Moderator
    It appears that Mr. Sensenbrenner dosent have much sense...
    soonershoote likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

He sponsored the Brady Bill, lost cause, best you can do is write the other reps and let this clown know he lost your vote.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

None of my reps have ever responded. I get the same canned secretary written response every time.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Write him off he is clearly an unti
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    If he was around for the Brady Bill, he's been there too long. Time to say goodbye in the next election cycle.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Timothy McVey didn't use a firearm. In fact, the single deadliest school mass murder in American History (38 children) was committed with dynamite. No gun ban (or even restriction) will STOP a determined maniac bent on murder/suicide. If the Newtown violence had been committed with, sayyy...propane, would the panic-stricken, hand-wringing nanny goats in congress be pressing for action to more closely regulate the swapping of refilled propane tanks at the local Convenient Mart & holding BBQ grill manufacturers partially responsible?!?
    TheConcealer likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I got a similar response from liberal Fl. senator (Bill Nelson), where he wrote that he supports the assault weapons ban because they were meant to kill people and he also supports the ten round mag limit. He ended his response by writing he appreciated my views and would keep them in mind, I responded saying that the ban on assault weapons didn't save the kids at colombine and would only keep lawfull citizens from exercising their right, that there's also no limit to the criminal mind and I then wrote "thank you for your response.. I will DEFINATLY keep it in mind"
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    (sigh) I'm using the Google BS-to-English Translator way too much these days:

I share your grief and outrage over the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut, where that awful black rifle walked in and pulled its own trigger with malice in its heart. My heart goes out to the families impacted by this senseless tragedy, even as much as I appreciate the political leverage it affords me and Senator Feinstein. It is baffling to think what could cause a firearm to inflict this kind of pain on human beings, let alone defenseless children. If it had been banned the first time I tried, this tragedy would have never occurred and we would all be holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" in a peaceful, gun-free world.

In the wake of such violence, we naturally want gun bans. We also want to know what can be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, maybe by also going after tire irons and slingshots. As the President said, no set of laws will prevent every future horrific act of violence or eliminate evil from our society, but we can sure try to ban assault rifles. As a dedicated gun grabber, I support reasonable measures to keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens who have committed no crime. I look forward to having an honest debate, wherein I'll clearly demonstrate that guns are the cause of all the ills in the world. I will keep in mind your views during this process, whatever your name was.

Thanks again for contacting me. It demonstrates that you're still alive so I can send you spam.

Sincerely,

F. JAMES SENSENBRENNER, JR.
    Member of Congress
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

It looks like the recent botched effort by the ATF in Milwaukee has shifted Congressman Sensenbrenner's position on new gun laws (last paragraph below). It's great to see common sense beat emotion! This is from his newsletter that just went out today.

Bungled ATF Milwaukee Sting Leaves Many Questions Unanswered

You may have read in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) was running an undercover operation that had several very concerning mistakes and problems. The ATF’s mistakes included allowing a machine gun and other weapons to be stolen in the Milwaukee area. We need a full accounting of what happened in the Milwaukee operation and what the ATF will do to make sure something like this does not happen again in our neighborhoods or around the country.

As part of the “Violent Crime Impact Team,” ATF rented a storefront in a Milwaukee neighborhood to purchase drugs and guns. Notably, the ATF chose a neighborhood where aggravated assaults were decreasing and homicide numbers were far fewer than other sections of the city.

ATF has already been the subject of ongoing investigations for their failed gun-walking operation, called Fast and Furious, where agents knowingly sold guns to drug cartels and traffickers in Mexico. This operation came to light when several of the walked guns were lost and one of the weapons was used to kill a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agent.

Now, ATF has conducted another botched operation; this time not in Mexico, but Milwaukee.

A 2006 Department of Justice Inspector General report cited “ineffective oversight” of the Impact Teams and found no evidence showing firearm crimes were actually reduced in the “hot spots” where they performed. Not only do these teams continue to exist today, but the Journal Sentinel reports indicate the Milwaukee operation suffered from the lack of oversight cited in the IG report.

One of the most concerning and incredible facts uncovered in the reports is that ATF, for the second time that we know, has allowed guns to get into the hands of criminals. Three guns were stolen from an agent’s car, including a machine gun which has yet to be recovered. Then, when one gun was resold to the ATF storefront, the agents failed to arrest him for another two months.

After the storefront was burglarized and the ATF finally closed the operation, the agents reportedly left behind sensitive documents with information on the undercover agents.

I sent a letter with my colleagues Chairmen Issa and Goodlatte and Senator Grassley to ATF Acting Director Todd Jones asking him to explain what happened in Milwaukee and why the type of “ineffective oversight” the IG report found in 2006 has continued to persist for seven years.

Beyond Fast and Furious and the recent Milwaukee sting, ATF has had a rocky history. In 2006, ATF Director Carl Truscott resigned due to lavish spending, ethical violations, and questionable treatment of employees. The ATF needs an accountable, Senate-confirmed head just like the other law enforcement agencies under the Department of Justice.

The Obama Administration wants to pass new gun laws and give new responsibilities to the ATF, but the agency has been inept at enforcing the laws that we already have. The agency should have rigorous oversight of their operations, but the recent reports indicate the opposite is true. I look forward to hearing back from the ATF. We need to get answers on the botched Milwaukee operation with the goal of preventing other debacles in the future.

I wrote all my Reps just after Newton when all this gun ban crap was just getting started. Got plenty of "canned" responses soon after. But, this reply came this morning. It seems a little more sincere and may be mostly his own words. I have met Cornyn would not doubt his direct input into this email.

Dear Mr. TxCommish:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
    JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Tel: (202) 224-2934
    Fax: (202) 228-2856
    United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

After reading today,that The S.C. senate won't back any federal laws,so far as aws and hi cap mags,i can only say,for that reason,i'm glad i'm in S.C.

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    It looks like the recent botched effort by the ATF in Milwaukee has shifted Congressman Sensenbrenner's position on new gun laws (last paragraph below). It's great to see common sense beat emotion! This is from his newsletter that just went out today.

Bungled ATF Milwaukee Sting Leaves Many Questions Unanswered

You may have read in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) was running an undercover operation that had several very concerning mistakes and problems. The ATF’s mistakes included allowing a machine gun and other weapons to be stolen in the Milwaukee area. We need a full accounting of what happened in the Milwaukee operation and what the ATF will do to make sure something like this does not happen again in our neighborhoods or around the country.

As part of the “Violent Crime Impact Team,” ATF rented a storefront in a Milwaukee neighborhood to purchase drugs and guns. Notably, the ATF chose a neighborhood where aggravated assaults were decreasing and homicide numbers were far fewer than other sections of the city.

ATF has already been the subject of ongoing investigations for their failed gun-walking operation, called Fast and Furious, where agents knowingly sold guns to drug cartels and traffickers in Mexico. This operation came to light when several of the walked guns were lost and one of the weapons was used to kill a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agent.

Now, ATF has conducted another botched operation; this time not in Mexico, but Milwaukee.

A 2006 Department of Justice Inspector General report cited “ineffective oversight” of the Impact Teams and found no evidence showing firearm crimes were actually reduced in the “hot spots” where they performed. Not only do these teams continue to exist today, but the Journal Sentinel reports indicate the Milwaukee operation suffered from the lack of oversight cited in the IG report.

One of the most concerning and incredible facts uncovered in the reports is that ATF, for the second time that we know, has allowed guns to get into the hands of criminals. Three guns were stolen from an agent’s car, including a machine gun which has yet to be recovered. Then, when one gun was resold to the ATF storefront, the agents failed to arrest him for another two months.

After the storefront was burglarized and the ATF finally closed the operation, the agents reportedly left behind sensitive documents with information on the undercover agents.

I sent a letter with my colleagues Chairmen Issa and Goodlatte and Senator Grassley to ATF Acting Director Todd Jones asking him to explain what happened in Milwaukee and why the type of “ineffective oversight” the IG report found in 2006 has continued to persist for seven years.

Beyond Fast and Furious and the recent Milwaukee sting, ATF has had a rocky history. In 2006, ATF Director Carl Truscott resigned due to lavish spending, ethical violations, and questionable treatment of employees. The ATF needs an accountable, Senate-confirmed head just like the other law enforcement agencies under the Department of Justice.

The Obama Administration wants to pass new gun laws and give new responsibilities to the ATF, but the agency has been inept at enforcing the laws that we already have. The agency should have rigorous oversight of their operations, but the recent reports indicate the opposite is true. I look forward to hearing back from the ATF. We need to get answers on the botched Milwaukee operation with the goal of preventing other debacles in the future.

Yeah... What he's saying there is....

"I'd like to be the in charge of the oversight of their operations to make certain that the idiots confiscate all the assault weapons and extended magazines in the hands of the citizenry... The organization had better be better prepared to deal with the new, more restrictive laws we pass."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links