Defensive Carry banner

Resource: Why Virtually All Gun Owners Oppose A Ban On "Assault Weapons"........

2K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  zacii 
#1 ·
Resource: Why Virtually All Gun Owners Oppose A Ban On "Assault Weapons"........

Why Virtually All Gun Owners Oppose A Ban On "Assault Weapons" - And Why You Should Too

http://reasonedpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/01/why-virtually-all-gun-owners-oppose-ban.html

I have prepared this article with the non-gun owner in mind. It carefully explains, with source referenced information and graphics, why the assault weapons ban is bogus. It also reveals where the gun control movement really wants to go and how they can use the same dishonest tactics to ban many other weapons.

Please consider promoting this on social media and in any other way you can. Thank you!

#5 ·
Excellent! I forwarded the url to everyone in my address book. Granted, I'll probably be preaching to the choir in that respect :rolleyes:

#12 ·
I am going to do the same, but...I also send it to some "fence-sitters", and encourage "the choir" to do the same. That way, it MAY find it's way to readers who don't own guns, or who have been fed the "party line" about the evils of guns but who are willing to learn the truth.

In an aside, my wife had always had the liberal attitude towards guns that guns are evil, and gun owners are crazy (well, she believed that about most gun owners, but not about me :smile:). She put up with my interest in guns, but barely.

Anyway, I've been converting her over the past several years by talking to her calmly and rationally about guns, the responsibility of gun ownership, the actual laws surrounding the Treyvon Martin shooting, the differences between semi and fully auto guns, the laws in Britain vs the laws here and the statistics associated with gun ownership in each, the reality of guns vs what we see on TV/movies, etc...

I didn't bring up some "pro-gun" statement every day during that time, but just whenever it seemed appropriate based on what was happening in the news, what TV/movie we were watching...and over time, she began to shift her position from: "guns are evil & no one really NEEDS a gun", to "well, I can see some valid uses for guns", to "I guess it's good that you have a gun in the house for defense", to "Can you show me how to shoot...just in case?".

Well, just a few days ago, my wife went to lunch with a very liberal, very anti-gun friend of hers. When this friend started talking about how great the "assault weapon ban" was going to be, my wife jumped all over her (figuratively speaking, of course). She told her the truth about "assault weapons", she told her about the statistics of gun violence vs gun ownership, she told her about the hundreds of thousands of proper defensive uses of guns each year, etc.

My wife was telling me about this all after she came back from the lunch, and she said, "Diana just sat there with her eyes wide and her mouth open, saying things like "Really?...I didn't know that". My wife didn't raise her voice or rant, but just calmly laid out factual info for every mistaken anti-gun idea that Diana had. They finished the lunch still friends, and Diana said that she was going to think about what my wife had told her.

(If it sounds like I'm proud of my wife for this, it's because I am! :cheerleader1: )

Anyway, this kind of "grass-roots conversion" takes time, but the more we work at it, the better off we are.

#11 ·
Good read. However, if I may make a suggestion. Whenever you refer to modern sporting rifles, please call them that instead of Assault Weapons. It's fine to quote an anti gun nut using the incorrect term though, just make sure the quotes you post are easily discernible as a quote from others and not something you are writing.

Also, good choice on the ruger mini 14 comparison. However, the suggestion I would have made would be the Ruger 10/22 rifles. There are so many conversion kits to that gun to make it into an AR style or bullpup style compared to other firearms. For example this picture is a Ruger 10/22 in it's basic cosmetic composition.

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ruger_1022rb.jpg

These pictures below are some cosmetic conversion kits. The barrel, trigger, action, and all the parts of the gun that make the gun go bang are all the same.

http://www.gaffngun.com/gallery/data/531/bullpup_11.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/32034085/aview/AA_Marauder_front_right.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/bossgvr4/Real Steel/IMG_2590.jpg

All those are the EXACT same weapon. The difference is nothing but lipstick on a pig. Infact, a google image search for Ruger 10/22 shows many possible cosmetic changes people have done.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rug...74,d.b2I&fp=105ed91b9710f9b&biw=1600&bih=1078

Nothing about any of those cosmetic conversion kits make the Ruger 10/22 any more or less lethal than the standard stock model. Same for for all Modern Sporting Rifles versus their various non modern looking counter parts.

#13 · (Edited)
Why Virtually All Gun Owners Oppose A Ban On "Assault Weapons" - And Why You Should Too

http://reasonedpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/01/why-virtually-all-gun-owners-oppose-ban.html

I have prepared this article with the non-gun owner in mind. It carefully explains, with source referenced information and graphics, why the assault weapons ban is bogus. It also reveals where the gun control movement really wants to go and how they can use the same dishonest tactics to ban many other weapons.

Please consider promoting this on social media and in any other way you can. Thank you!
Awesome work, and welcome to the board!

:smile:

#14 ·
You created a very compelling argument with lots of resources. Excellent post. I sent it to my facebook page as well as going out in emails.

Great work, Sir.

:congrats:

#15 ·
Very good article. I plan on sharing that.

#16 ·
Thank you for your time in writing this. Excellent job.

#17 ·
Thanks. I shared it with my Senator today along with a few additional words.

He responded right away. Shown below.

Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views and experiences with me.

If you need assistance resolving a specific problem with a federal agency, please contact my office at 703-442-0670 or toll free at 1-877-676-2759. Otherwise, please be assured that we are reading and responding to your comments and opinions as fast as we can.

As the 112th Congress moves forward, please continue to be in touch with your views.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

#19 ·
Nicely written, Vince. Clear and understandable, reasonably concise (though covering a lot of ground).

Kudos! :eek:k:

#21 ·
Re: Resource: Why Virtually All Gun Owners Oppose A Ban On "Assault Weapons"........

I liked the content and overall structure of the article. The facts were laid out well.

However, I found the capitalized sentences and bold text difficult to read. It came across as condescending, as though you were raising your voice. But that's just me.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.