Q about Michigan CPL law - rifle with folding stock

This is a discussion on Q about Michigan CPL law - rifle with folding stock within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Howdy - I have a question about current MI CPL law. Background: I have a rifle that has a folding stock. Because of the length ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Q about Michigan CPL law - rifle with folding stock

Howdy -

I have a question about current MI CPL law.

Background:
    I have a rifle that has a folding stock. Because of the length when folded, it is 'officially' a pistol in Michigan. I had to get a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun" before buying it (where you would not have to get that form with a typical rifle), and it is registered to me as such.

My current knowledge:
    I had heard from an acquaintance that before 1/1/13, that rifle ("pistol") could be legally concealed with a CPL. However, after 1/1/13, the law would change, not allowing that anymore. The caveat was that any weapons purchased before the new year would be grandfathered in.

I've been searching various MI.gov websites, but cannot seem to find current information on this. Does anyone know what the current law is and/or where I can find this information directly from the government? I did ask a local officer, but he did not know the current changes to the law.

Also - let me be clear: I don't intend to throw this rifle in my coat and go to Wally World. Rather, I'd like to know the law so that when I'm in my car I can/can't keep mags/gun loaded.

Thanks!

Sounds like a job for a Michigan Attorney specializing in Firearm Law! Advice from an online forum can get you...10-to-20.
    rocky likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Indeed :)
    I was hoping maybe someone might have a link to that section of the law (which I can't seem to find)

Links